PDA

View Full Version : best way to catch walleyes in big rivers?

kallsimb
05-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering what some of the best ways are for catching walleyes in big river systems such as the North Saskatchewan River and the South Saskatchewan River? Thanks

pickrel pat
05-05-2012, 06:16 PM
when water clarity is not good i go with a bait rig, when shes clear i chuck cranks or drag jigs through the deeper pools.

Cal
05-05-2012, 06:33 PM
If you have any sort of boat I like to alternate between drifting jigs, bait rigs, or spinners downstream and trolling crankbaits upstream. From any kind of muscular powered craft this can be a real workout but the increased numbers of fish make it worth it. Alot of river fishermen seem to be pretty slow to figure out what lake fishermen have known for years, trolling through lots of water will usualy catch more fish than anchoring and tossing jigs at one or two likely looking spots.

kallsimb
05-05-2012, 07:52 PM
unfortunetly i dont own a boat.

Cal
05-05-2012, 08:54 PM
unfortunetly i dont own a boat.

In that case pickerel pat pretty much has it covered.

Dale S
05-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Vertical jigging a jig,tipped with a minnow.Find the right spot and the right time, it will be one right after another.They get into a pattern with the time of day they bite you have to figure out when.The water has to be clear for this to work. Dirty water, bait fishing with the freshest minnows you can get works the best. You need good fresh bait.