PDA

View Full Version : fishing tent

Thundercatcher
05-05-2012, 10:54 PM
I will be doing a few camping and fishing trips this year and I need a new tent. Any suggestion on one? It will be for 3 people. Me and my two brothers.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-06-2012, 12:07 AM
HEt Thundercatcher , good to see you around brother , Id go look at Wholesale sports or Campers Village for about a 5-6 man tent , Not to sure if your sleeping in tight quarters , I know I wouldnt be , You can pick up a decent tent by coleman , or WOODS for about 200 bucks . And far better then a little 3 man dome with 3 grown adults unless its one of them adult parties .

Also forgot to mention Sears has some good tents to and they tend to have some pretty good sales .

Would really enjoy doing some fishing in the future . I have heard alot about you with my connection of fishing partners , Shoot me a message sometime maybe we can go get some walleye or Pike .

silverdoctor
05-06-2012, 12:37 AM
I'm keeping my fatfish 949 as an option for a solid wall tent for in the mountains, 8x8 at the base, lots of room.

Pert near froze my arse off last year in the high elevations in Banff. Most of the tents today have vents throughout, makes for an interesting night when it's rainy and windy.

Willowtrail
05-06-2012, 12:40 AM
Costco man, I haven't been in awhile but bought a roots tent before I bought my 5th wheel and it was awesome. Stayed dry in a monsson and was cheap. Any tent will do, juat dont let ANYTHING touch the edge, it will get wet.

Let me know where and when. I may join you

lugeboy
05-06-2012, 12:42 AM
Kijiji best place if you know what to look for. bought a 700 dollar tent for 200 and he didnt take it out of the box even he just wanted it rid of

npauls
05-06-2012, 01:08 AM
I am going to be using my fatfish ice tent for my camping tent this year also. I have a 5th wheel but if I am heading somewhere in the backwoods where it isn't ideal to tow a 5th wheel then I will set this up with the cots I just got and go from there.

It should do the trick I think. It wouldn't be back packable for any type of hiking but if it is somewhere you can take a vehicle then I will be good to go.

silverdoctor
05-06-2012, 01:16 AM
It wouldn't be back packable for any type of hiking but if it is somewhere you can take a vehicle then I will be good to go.

That's one of my concerns, but the other is rain. Not sure if the fatfish is truly waterproof or not, might spray mine down with silicon or use some heavy plastic for a fly. I'm not freezing my arse off this year.

I found it strange, none of the big box stores carry solid wall tents, they are all heavily vented with a fly over the top. Went to MEC - think that's what it's called - and the prices for anything unvented was crazy.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-06-2012, 01:22 AM
That's one of my concerns, but the other is rain. Not sure if the fatfish is truly waterproof or not, might spray mine down with silicon or use some heavy plastic for a fly. I'm not freezing my arse off this year.

I found it strange, none of the big box stores carry solid wall tents, they are all heavily vented with a fly over the top. Went to MEC - think that's what it's called - and the prices for anything unvented was crazy.

Go buy a couple cans of that Vynal Water proofing stuff for tents and tarps . Canadian tire has it in a green can . I made my hunting coat that was water resistant , as its Gortex , but Made it water proof .,

npauls
05-06-2012, 01:38 AM

I was thinking about that also. I think I will just make sure I have rope and a couple of those blue tarps whenever I take the fatfish out. I can then just make a full cover for it so I don't have to find out how waterproof it actually is.

lugeboy
05-06-2012, 02:14 AM
Another way to go is the truck tent, off the ground, lots of space.
I am looking for one but I have a reg box which would work but I would prefer a long box then I could use my cot in it.

Geezle
05-06-2012, 08:38 AM
I was thinking about that also. I think I will just make sure I have rope and a couple of those blue tarps whenever I take the fatfish out. I can then just make a full cover for it so I don't have to find out how waterproof it actually is.

I can't speak specifically for the Fatfish, but I do have a Quickfish, and when it's raining out, or snow is melting on the roof from the heater, I find that water will leak in at the seams where the wall meets the roof. Get some seam sealer for that and you *should* be set I think :)

The rest of the tent seems waterproof enough.

simmered
05-06-2012, 09:21 AM
I believe a tent is like everything else, you get what you pay for. The vented tents are a little cooler to sleep in but as long as you have a half decent sleeping bag and the most important part, a sleeping pad, to block the cool ground from coming through, you will be fine. Venting is going to be inportant to stop condensation with three guys sleeping in it. If there is no vents you will wake up with soaked tent walls in the AM and anything touching them! Vents are good in the warmer months!!!!
I believe for a comfortable sleep go one person up from how many are going to sleep. I've spent a few "cozy" nights in 3 man tents in the mountains and lets just say once you layed down there wasnt much wiggle room!!!!
I like the tents that have the full fly with two doors and vestibules for each. I find the cheaper tents only have the fly come over the top and not cover the sides, leaving them vunerable to the "side rain" we get here!!!!
At the end of the day, get the best tent you can afford it is your shelter away from home!!!

Willowtrail
05-06-2012, 09:22 AM
I can speak for the fatfish 9416. When viral override, champion and I spent the night out on cold lake in march it was super windy and raining all evening. The seams leeked and was a lot. If you're going to use it take the tarps like mentioned above. I don't think the OP has an ice tent though.

g_trout
05-06-2012, 12:45 PM
MEC is good value for a tent. We got a two man and an 8 man and both are great tents.

If we are car camping, I also use the foam mats we use as a floor during ice fishing under the tent. It makes moving around inside the tent a lot more comfortable.

simmered
05-06-2012, 12:49 PM
If we are car camping, I also use the foam mats we use as a floor during ice fishing under the tent. It makes moving around inside the tent a lot more comfortable.

That is a great idea! Thanks:)

NSRfishing
05-06-2012, 01:56 PM
i always string up a tarp over my tent and under to keep sticks from poking my airmatress

Thundercatcher
05-06-2012, 08:35 PM
I was looking at this tent on sale at Canadiantire. What is a tech port though? And what would you use it for?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Camping/Tents/PRDOVR~0766019P/Roots+Cabin+Tent%2C+8-Person.jsp?locale=en

Willowtrail
05-06-2012, 10:05 PM
The Tech port is to run an extention cord in to power electronics. I had a Roots tent and it was great. Never had a leak, set up easy and fit back in the bag

Thundercatcher
05-06-2012, 10:11 PM
what electronics would you have in a tent? lol