PDA

View Full Version : missing gill plates on stockys?

the local angler
05-05-2012, 11:18 PM
hey all i was out today fishing a stocked pond cause i know they stocked it recently. it was just some fun fishing and we caught a bunch but something kinda bugged me as every one of the rainbows i caught was missing parts of the gill plates. now i know farmed fish, aquaculture what ever you wanna call it ussually clips their fins and all but do they do this to the gill plates too? it just seemed kinda odd when i caught the fish whether it was 6" or 14" the gill plates was missing a big chunk and the gills itself was showing.anybody else run into this or know the reason for this?

pikergolf
05-05-2012, 11:44 PM
I noticed a lot of missing fins, why do they clip them?

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-05-2012, 11:58 PM
I noticed a lot of missing fins, why do they clip them?

Ive never heard of missing GIll plates or deformed , but they do clip the pectoral fin .

goldscud
05-06-2012, 07:08 AM
Missing gill plate, pectoral fins, worn tails are usually the result of living in a raceway or other confined space with thousands of cohorts all rubbing up against each other or the substrate. Probably more to do with friction than clipping.

Paul C
05-06-2012, 07:13 AM
Missing gill plate, pectoral fins, worn tails are usually the result of living in a raceway or other confined space with thousands of cohorts all rubbing up against each other or the substrate. Probably more to do with friction than clipping.
X2 When they herd the trout in the small tanks in the hatchery this happens quite often but will grow back in a short period of time once released into there new lake or pond. :)

the local angler
05-06-2012, 05:12 PM
for the fin clipping i would assume its to determine the difference between a wild fish then a hatchery fish but not sure if this is the reason.

Daceminnow
05-06-2012, 06:26 PM
this is a hatchery bull trout. i'm not sure about the gill plates growing back? this fish was caught just after ice off last year.

Dace

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_1971.jpg

Bobby B.
05-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Does the missing gill plate negatively affect the trout?

Bobby B.

Guitarplayingfish
05-06-2012, 09:28 PM
I have caught plenty of triploid trout that are missing pieces of their gill plates... They seem to survive, as I have caught some nice ones.. Pretty sure they don't grow back, probably a heck of a lot more susceptible though... don't want to kick up any mud or sand into the gills by accident on release or the trout would be a goner.

Nickote316
05-06-2012, 10:06 PM
for the fin clipping i would assume its to determine the difference between a wild fish then a hatchery fish but not sure if this is the reason.

I know they do that for salmon in bc

the local angler
05-07-2012, 11:05 AM
great pic of the bull trout, cause thats exactly what i am talking about all of the rainbows i caught the missing gill plates looks just like that.

Cal
05-07-2012, 12:26 PM
great pic of the bull trout, cause thats exactly what i am talking about all of the rainbows i caught the missing gill plates looks just like that.

uhhhg, that things a frankenbeast. i think pulling deformed freaks like that out of my favorite trout waters would wreck it for me. make me stick to walleye fishing for sure.

the local angler
05-07-2012, 12:47 PM
ya i hear ya cal thats the first thing i thought of when i saw it cause i do keep a few to eat from there once in a while. after seeing one i thought maybe some critter tried to eat it and it got away but after seeing everyone of them looking the same got me a bit grossed out.

Cal
05-07-2012, 07:16 PM
ya i hear ya cal thats the first thing i thought of when i saw it cause i do keep a few to eat from there once in a while. after seeing one i thought maybe some critter tried to eat it and it got away but after seeing everyone of them looking the same got me a bit grossed out.

I dont know what would bother me more, putting that hideous fish back into some a beautifull pool and knowing that I might catch it again or killing the poor thing and trying to eat it. Eather way it would probably be the last time I fished there for a long time.