PDA

View Full Version : 4 day hike into Marvel / Owl Lake

jts1
05-06-2012, 03:13 PM
I am going to do a 4 day trip into Marvel Lake, may fish Owl one day as well. Will have the wife drop us off at the Mt Shark trail head and pick us up 4 days later at same spot. The dates I have free are July 6-10 July 16-20 July 25-29

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=205353115332302720851.0004a994b321ce78c6be 3&msa=0

Going to stay in the Bryant Creek Cabin

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/activ/activ33/jj.aspx

Have one coming for sure but can make it a larger group if there is interest. Marvel has some of the best Cuttroat fishing I have ever done, and Owl has some monster Brooks from what I am told.
You will need a national park fishing permit as we will be within Banff. I am not going to be in any rush to get there the first day. We will stop 3 times along the way at 2 creeks and the Owl lake turn off. 2 days of fishing and another day to hike out. Be sure to be bear aware and bring your camera as there will be lots of photo's opportunity's. Let me know if this is something you may want to do.

slivers86
05-06-2012, 03:13 PM
I am tentative for 16-19th. only time that works for me... gf is leaning towards a yes :)

Just so people know, the fee's for the parks :

Bryant Creek Shelter - $6.80 per person/night
Overnight fee - $9.80 per person/night (Jeff confirm we do need this??)

Fishing License $34.30/annual

So the trip in parks fees (if you have an annual entry permit-I'm sure I'll have a group one) will be $6.80x3 + $34.30 + $9.80x3 = $84.10

simmered
05-06-2012, 03:18 PM
That sounds like an awesome trip. A group of us hiked into Magog last year and did some fishing! Wish I wasn't busy that month, would have came along for sure! Next time perhaps!! Good luck.
I see your map said good launch point. Are you taking a belly boat with you?

jts1
05-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Yes I took my belly boat last time as well. You can fish from shore but would be limited. Besides seeing the guys floating around with you standing on shore would suck.

Bryant Creek and Egypt Lake Shelter, per person
$ 6.80

Overnight, per person
$ 9.80

Per Permit (fishing)
Daily
$ 9.80
Annual
$ 34.30

simmered
05-06-2012, 03:23 PM
LOL, thats very true. Never thought about lugging a belly boat in with me places!

slivers86
05-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Yes I took my belly boat last time as well. You can fish from shore but would be limited. Besides seeing the guys floating around with you standing on shore would suck.

Providing I am a go, I will have a tube by than I think of some sort. If not borrow one from a buddy for the weekend :)

jts1
05-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Just had a chat with some guys and the word is Owl has had some issues and is not worth the trip. So that part is out.

slivers86
05-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Good to know. Winter kill?

jts1
05-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Not sure 3 guys that were there last year said it was not worth the trip ZERO fish count. Thats 3 guys on 3 diffrent trips not all one trip. Will stick to Marvel

slivers86
05-06-2012, 04:59 PM
10-4 rubber ducky

Kokanee9
05-06-2012, 08:54 PM
I saw 2 guys bring a canoe into Marvel once. They had it mounted on a carrier with bike wheels and just rolled it on the trail. Worked pretty slick.

ÜberFly
05-06-2012, 09:03 PM
My wife and I fished Owl (with sink tips and streamers) for about 4 hours last summer and zip, zilch, nada!! Go to Marvel or better yet hike the rest of the way in to Assiniboine and fish there. Just expect there to be WAY too many people!!

You are aware the shelter is about a 45 - hour hike from Marvel, aren't you?!

P

Pikecrazed
05-06-2012, 09:08 PM
If I'm under sixteen do I still have to get the fishing lisence

npauls
05-06-2012, 09:09 PM
If the mri comes back negative I will be down for this trip. After talking to Jeff I have now added it to my bucket list for as soon as possible.

jts1
05-06-2012, 09:15 PM
My wife and I fished Owl (with sink tips and streamers) for about 4 hours last summer and zip, zilch, nada!! Go to Marvel or better yet hike the rest of the way in to Assiniboine and fish there. Just expect there to be WAY too many people!!

You are aware the shelter is about a 45 - hour hike from Marvel, aren't you?!

P

Yep have stayed in the cabin before. It's a lot shorter if you take the path over to the warden cabin and cross the creek. But it's a hike no matter what way you go. As for being under 16 I am not sure how it works in the national parks.

I saw 2 guys bring a canoe into Marvel once. They had it mounted on a carrier with bike wheels and just rolled it on the trail. Worked pretty slick.

There is still on up there chained to a tree along with a small aluminum but think that must be for the wardens. And I am thinking of using a cart to get my gear in this time. Much easier then putting it on my back.

Dust1n
05-06-2012, 09:15 PM
yes you do pike...unless your dad has one and is watching over you.

slivers86
05-06-2012, 10:38 PM
too bad wayne doesn't believe in anything except bait on a treble :fighting0030:

slivers86
05-08-2012, 04:48 PM
jeff is it 4 we have confirmed now??? I think the cabin sleeps 8 or 10.

slingshotz
05-08-2012, 11:11 PM
What kind of trail is it to be able to wheel a canoe into it, is it bikeable?? I'd love to come but work could be crazy in July but put me down as a maybe as I love those mountain lakes.

I'm disappointed that dogs are not allowed, seems like a perfect hike and fish with the dog.

Albertadiver
05-08-2012, 11:16 PM
What kind of trail is it to be able to wheel a canoe into it, is it bikeable?? I'd love to come but work could be crazy in July but put me down as a maybe as I love those mountain lakes.

I'm disappointed that dogs are not allowed, seems like a perfect hike and fish with the dog.

Dogs aren't allowed in the cabin proper. IF you camp at one of the backcountry campgrounds nearby, you can have dogs. On a leash blah blah blah.

The trail to the cabin is very gentle. Easily done with a cart. Bikes are only allowed to just inside the Banff border, but would give you a great head start. Only a few more miles from where bikes must be stashed.

The trail is very bike friendly, but in recent years they outlawed bikes due to bear risks.

Darren57
05-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Dogs aren't allowed in the cabin proper. IF you camp at one of the backcountry campgrounds nearby, you can have dogs. On a leash blah blah blah.

The trail to the cabin is very gentle. Easily done with a cart. Bikes are only allowed to just inside the Banff border, but would give you a great head start. Only a few more miles from where bikes must be stashed.

The trail is very bike friendly, but in recent years they outlawed bikes due to bear risks.

Bikes a Bear risk? I dont meen to get off topic but i cant help but be curious do you know if there is evidence to support bikers getting attacked more often than hikers?

Albertadiver
05-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Bikes a Bear risk? I dont meen to get off topic but i cant help but be curious do you know if there is evidence to support bikers getting attacked more often than hikers?

I'm not saying I agree with it.

The rationale coming from Parks is that bikes go fast and they're pretty quiet. They are concerned about coming up quickly on a bear and spooking it.

At one time, you could bike all the way into Assiniboine Lodge via the Assiniboine Pass but decided to shut it down. Also partly due to conflicts with hikers and equestrian users.

Like I said, I don't agree with it, but that's why they've closed access to bikes to just past Karst Spring.

McLeod
05-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Also the damage on the trail was part of the consideration on eliminating bike use from some trails..

As for the use of wheeled carts on non bike trails...I am trying to get an official ruling on this as some have speculated it would not be allowed.

Darren57
05-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Sometimes it is easyer to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission with grey areas such as this. Good thing to check though. I cant see carts being a problem unless carts have broken down and been left in the woods in the past. Too many people cause too many laws. A good officer will only enforce them in situations that warrant it though.

McLeod
05-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Sometimes it is easyer to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission with grey areas such as this. Good thing to check though. I cant see carts being a problem unless carts have broken down and been left in the woods in the past. Too many people cause too many laws. A good officer will only enforce them in situations that warrant it though.

yes but forgiveness can come at the price of a big fine !

Heavy K
05-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Mountain Bikers = easy to isolate user group. And back in the 90's when the closure happened, they had little in the way of lobby power. In short, it was an easy group to get rid of. If we want to talk damage to trails, let's take a look at the pony riders! They, however, have more lobby power to prevent change they disfavor. I don't want to get started on this again though, as this was a battle from a previous life. :) I just wish we could all get along on the trails.

Have a wonderful trip to a wonderful area in folks. I may see you in there pending work and weather.

hk

jts1
05-09-2012, 11:59 AM
I have lots of interest but we have had some conflicts on the dates. I myself would like to head in on the 6th and be fresh on the water for opening day on the 7th. But this does not work for some. So in order t make it fair I am going to post dates again and the majority is going to win.

July 6-9
July 16-19
July 26-29

Just recieved a pm from member that reminded me of something I did not think of. Some of the cutties may still be back in the outlet in spawning mode the begining of July. Wont stop us from getting fish mind you. Just keep that in mind when picking a date.

I will not book the cabin till Monday as to give the ones already involved sometime to get there ducks in a row, and the rest to figure out if they can commit on one of the above dates.

The bikes are allowed up until the waterfall then they are to be left behind. That would give you a nice jump on things. I myself have not heard that carts are not allowed. But I will confirm this when booking the cabin. So I have decided to use one for my gear. I could not find a game cart that fit what I was looking for. So I am modding a off road stroller, one the them things with the big bike wheels on them. I may get a look or two but I assure you I will have the best back once we arrive. But I will confirm this when booking the cabin.

McLeod
05-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Are snorers allowed ?..LOL

npauls
05-09-2012, 12:17 PM
I won't know if I can join the group until I have my MRI and find out the results.

My MRI is July 3rd and if it comes back that something is wrong then I won't be able to go on the trip. If it comes back negative then I will do whatever I can to make the trip if there is any room left. I may have to try to figure out a way to modify the off road jogging stroller like Jeff is doing.

McLeod
05-09-2012, 12:25 PM
In my discussions today with Parks Canada Banff ....I was told that on any trail in which bikes are not permitted ..You CANNOT use any wheeled device such as a stroller or game cart.
I am just passing on what I was told.... You may want to discuss this with a warden.

jts1
05-09-2012, 12:27 PM
No worries Nathan I will book you a spot and hold till we know if you can make it. And snore all you want, you may be doing it outside on the picnic table but snore away :scared0018:

npauls
05-09-2012, 01:04 PM
No worries Nathan I will book you a spot and hold till we know if you can make it. And snore all you want, you may be doing it outside on the picnic table but snore away :scared0018:

Thanks Jeff,

Early morning wake up call from a big old grizz licking your face would be a pretty scary experience if you wind up sleeping on the picnic table.

Albertadiver
05-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Here's a short video clip of how big the lake is from the air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb01Xf6JDPw&list=UUWoktXSxlB2FIbU1aP5tL9A&index=17&feature=plcp

I stayed at the backcountry site on the way in to Assiniboine last summer. This campsite is pretty close to the cabin.

Had a really ticked off deer at about 4:00am sniffing and pawing and hissing at me from probably 10 feet away.

Woke up the next morning and this little guy would not leave us alone.

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/albertadiver/Assiniboine%20Backpack%20aug%202011/IMG_8505Large.jpg

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/albertadiver/Assiniboine%20Backpack%20aug%202011/IMG_8507Large.jpg

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/albertadiver/Assiniboine%20Backpack%20aug%202011/IMG_8489Large.jpg

jts1
05-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Just got off the phone with the cabin people and all dates are good to go as for beds lots of room. But may fill up so as I said I am booking Monday just to be safe. She was not sure about the carriage thing for hauling gear. So I am expecting a call back.

You are a lot braver then I Diver. Staying in a tent out there would scare the hell out of me. Way too many bears up that way for my liking.

McLeod
05-09-2012, 01:47 PM
That campsite is one of the best in the park ..the one by the lake...1500 meters away..is very poor ... Generally bears stay clear of that area..

Albertadiver
05-09-2012, 01:57 PM
You are a lot braver then I Diver. Staying in a tent out there would scare the hell out of me. Way too many bears up that way for my liking.

That's why I wear ear plugs in the bush at night. I wake up with every twig snap. If I'm gonna be a bear burrito in my hammock, I might as well be well-rested.

This particular site was totally empty other than some dude in a bivy sack. He was already in bed when we showed up near dusk. He was gone by sunrise.

The food hangs were quite a good distance from the camp sites proper. My co-worker didn't sleep much at all that night for some reason.... I slept like a baby!

McLeod
05-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Those hammocks are the trick would you agree ?

Albertadiver
05-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Those hammocks are the trick would you agree ?

Love them. Hennesey Hammocks all the way. So comfortable.

Not good for cold weather though, as your back will get chilly.

McLeod
05-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Love them. Hennesey Hammocks all the way. So comfortable.

Not good for cold weather though, as your back will get chilly.

But there are things you can do to prevent that according to their website.

Albertadiver
05-09-2012, 03:51 PM
But there are things you can do to prevent that according to their website.

There is, but requires more stuff to carry with you.

Monson
09-01-2016, 11:51 AM
After lots of research I caught a 30" fish in owl but it didn't look like a brookie but it looked like a laker seems to me all the fish I caught there looked similar. As far as I could research they are splake trout a hybrid when a male brookie breeds with a female laker, either way smallest fish was 22" out of there