PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Encounter

Ironcowboy
05-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Just had to share todays events with everyone! What a hair raising experience.
So this weekend me and the gang took our bait barrels out (yes a little late but better then never). Four of us out Three bait setups. Three of us made it out Saturday and set up two sites. The fourth hunter and our beaver contributor showed up early today (Sunday) with the bear candy. So the non bait hunter left early on foot with his gun for some spot and stalk hunting. The rest of us headed out an hour later with the quads, beavers, and final bait barrel (minus the guns do do to time). We set up the barrel and then proceeded to the next closest to add beaver. We got to mine last. It was already full so we just hung a beaver high between to trees. By this time the walker had found and joined us. To get it dripping we decided to test my stand position and put a bullet thru the beaver. So Im in the tree, everyone standing behind me when the usual joker in the group yells "bear". I take the shot anyway cause we weren't planning on hunting this weekend anyway and made lots of noise tending the sites. What animal would be anywhere near us. So after climbing down they all swear they saw a brown bear way right of the bait. So we take the lone gun to the edge of clearing to see if there are tracks. I'm still skeptical thinking I'm the butt of another joke. So we walk back to quads and half way there the guns owner stops and says "give me my gun back". He's the grey hair of the group but even if that wasn't the case the tone of voice demanded immediate compliance. There 15 yards behind the base of my stands tree is a VERY large Grizz, just standing on all fours and watching us. The size of its head and body left no doubt it was a big male. There was a very tence minute of us watching the bear and it watching us. It then turned around slowly walked away. We took that as our cue and got the hell out of dodge. Back to camp and pack out. It was a very interesting lunch halfway home discussing the fact that the bear heard a gun shot at close range and instead of bolting walked around us and watched us some more.
Unfortunately I don't have a trail cam but this gave me reason to get one, if it hits either of the other to sites that has cams I will definitely be posting pics. And no we didn't think to take our eyes off the killing machine to snap a pic, not the first thought when 30yards from a grizzly with bait 15 yards behind you :sHa_sarcasticlol:

As an added note to all my fellow hunters out there be careful this spring Be aware of your surroundings and stay safe out there. Blacks aren't the only bears waking up hungry!

1899b
05-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Grizzly hearing the "dinner bell" and checking things out is nothing new. Glad your ok and it turned out well for you fellas.

Grizzly Adams
05-06-2012, 05:53 PM
What zone? That's the important part. :D

Grizz

Ironcowboy
05-06-2012, 05:59 PM

Grizz

One of the zones you can bait in :sHa_sarcasticlol:

gramps73
05-06-2012, 06:07 PM
One of the zones you can bait in :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I could be wrong but i think he was looking for you to let other hunters know theirs a grizz in the area...

just my take on the question...

hal53
05-06-2012, 06:08 PM
X2!!!, at least give the other guys a heads up, especially for a Grizz with an attitude........

canuck
05-06-2012, 06:10 PM
.....the killing machine....

Enjoyed the story, but this made me LOL :)

Ironcowboy
05-06-2012, 06:18 PM
X2!!!, at least give the other guys a heads up, especially for a Grizz with an attitude........

lower pan handle of 337

....and he shouldn't have much attitude by now. He's probably sleeping in the sun stuffed full of our black bear bait :sign0176:

gramps73
05-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Iron
Thanks for the heads up...
Mite be full now but who knows what will happen tomorrow...
On anther note I bet you all will be packing rifles in and out of the baits..lol

Bigwoodsman
05-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Another one of those endangered bears, that no one ever see's anymore. I think it's time for a re-count!

BW

Ironcowboy
05-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Iron
Thanks for the heads up...
Mite be full now but who knows what will happen tomorrow...
On anther note I bet you all will be packing rifles in and out of the baits..lol

I was the only bait hunter planning on using a rifle...since this afternoon the two bow hunters have changed their tune :sHa_sarcasticlol:

And our thoughts exactly, definitely need a recount on them, have seen then quit a lot over the last few years, though usually from afar and behind the wheel of a truck :scared0018: not this personal

huntin
05-06-2012, 07:17 PM
just so you know there is no time rectriction on when you can carry a wepon during spring bear season.. sucks you have a grizz on bait

Ironcowboy
05-06-2012, 07:21 PM
just so you know there is no time rectriction on when you can carry a wepon during spring bear season.. sucks you have a grizz on bait

Don't the same rules as fall apply, no quading with a gun before noon? We will walk in to sites with a gun to hunt in the a.m. but we were loading in barrels and bait with a quad and thought the same restrictions applied

BANG
05-06-2012, 07:27 PM
nope,rules are different i believe

Don't the same rules as fall apply, no quading with a gun before noon? We will walk in to sites with a gun to hunt in the a.m. but we were loading in barrels and bait with a quad and thought the same restrictions applied

huntin
05-06-2012, 07:30 PM
nope,rules are different i believe

x2 its in the regs.

Elkaholic523
05-06-2012, 07:33 PM
If u have a grizz on your bait don't u have to by law stop baiting that area

pickrel pat
05-06-2012, 07:40 PM
If u have a grizz on your bait don't u have to by law stop baiting that area

i was under this impession as well.....

Full Curl
05-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Even if it wasn't a legal thing, wouldn't you pull your bait anyway?
320 where I used to bait was changed to no baiting and I''m pretty sure the reason was the Grizz that were frequenting a few of the sites.

steve
05-06-2012, 09:48 PM

Grizz

Important to post if you want her shut down for baiting next year. Be bear smart wherever you go easy as that.

Grizzly Adams
05-07-2012, 07:54 AM
Important to post if you want her shut down for baiting next year. Be bear smart wherever you go easy as that.

No, important to post if you don't want someone else having a wreck. :D That bear isn't going to confine his activities to that one bait. Important for everyone to know he's around. That's part of Bear Smart. On the other hand, it's more ammunition that we need to re-instate a Grizzly Hunt. Getting bloody rediculous, guy can't go for a walk in his pasture without having to worry about Grizz.:lol:

Grizz

bearbuster
05-07-2012, 08:16 AM

I agree. Pull the baits move to new spot. We should all assume that a grizz could be there at any time. The last 4 years we've had to move our baits. I dont feel the need to alert the world. Some zones are getting shut down for baiting cause of the grizz. Be careful use trail cams when you can. Even with you letting us know the WMU, what good does that do. The bears walk and there is more than 1

Jamie Black R/T
05-07-2012, 11:33 AM
and there is more than 10,000

fixed if for ya :)

anti hunters get to come up with rediculous numbers why cant we!!

shayne
05-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the post, we are in the area and will keep an eye out when checking camera this week and switch from bows to rifles.

Appreciate the heads up.

nube
05-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Wow!!

Ironcowboy
05-07-2012, 08:38 PM
I don't know if we legally have to pull bait or not. I do know the grizz is gonna demolish them and scare the blacks away so they are almost useless. By all means if anyone wants to go take them out for us this soon be our guest :sHa_sarcasticlol: I will remind that it had no fear of us or gun fire near it, all it did was walk around to our back side as quiet as a mouse. Not a fear in the world. None of us wanted to have to shoot a charging grizzly so we left as quickly as possible. We are just gonna continue as planned and come back in a couple weeks and check pictures from the two cameras present. If there are blacks on film we will cautiously stay, hunt and pull baits after weekend. If its nothing but grizz on film out they come with one man watching the perimeter, cause like someone said earlier, the quads and us talking was just a dinner bell to him!

bearbuster
05-07-2012, 08:46 PM
When we had our first encounter, we didnt have a camera up. We checked the bait saw it was pounded got excited and set up our cams. 2 days later went back and checked the cams with the intent of sitting. Wow, we dumped what was left of the bait and hauled out the Barrels. We had guns with us when we checked and didn't waist any time cleaning up. Dont think you have to legally pull them but I wouldnt want to be stuck in a stand at dark
:shark:

needmoretoys
05-07-2012, 11:18 PM
If you report it to the local Fish and Wildlife office and give them the GPS coordinates, they will go in and take your bait site down and clean up the area. This way if the bear is there and aggressive, they will deal with it. They will also post signs in the area to warn others. This will then help keep the area safer. Bears that find a bait site will frequent it for years and this could result in someone being else being confronted that may not be prepared.