PDA

View Full Version : Question re: tying spinner rigs

Geezle
05-06-2012, 08:45 PM
So I'm sitting watching a couple episodes of River Monsters and tying up some snells.

I'm just wondering how many people use a clevis on the spinner blade, and how much of a difference it makes as opposed to just putting the blade on the line?

edit: Also looking for input on blade types :)

Lefty-Canuck
05-06-2012, 08:56 PM
My Dad and I used to tie these up for walleye bottom bouncers all the time. We used a plastic clevis that allowed for the blades to be removed and replaced. That way you could switch it up in a heartbeat if you wanted to try another blade color....rarely would you ever lose a blade. I think the plastic clevis allows for the blade to free spin better without damaging the line or cable the rig is tied with.

LC

Geezle
05-06-2012, 08:58 PM
My Dad and I used to tie these up for walleye bottom bouncers all the time. We used a plastic clevis that allowed for the blades to be removed and replaced. That way you could switch it up in a heartbeat if you wanted to try another blade color....rarely would you ever lose a blade. I think the plastic clevis allows for the blade to free spin better without damaging the line or cable the rig is tied with.

LC

Makes sense. The clevises I have are metal, but they do seem to allow the blade to spin better. Can't be removed without cutting the line though.

Kinda wondering if they're really necessary though, or if the blade still spins well enough on its own. Might have to do a little side by side trial at some point :)

They're cheap enough and come 20 to a pack so for now I'll keep putting them on :)

tacklerunner
05-06-2012, 09:04 PM
You will definetly get more spin & flash to attract more fish using a clevis. Very benefitial in murky water.

npauls
05-06-2012, 09:05 PM
I run metal clevises on all of my spinner rigs. I think they make the blade spin at a slower speed.

I use the plastic clevises for attaching weights to the main line. This way it is easy to switch up weight and it also lets the weight slide on the main line so if you have to feed the fish line to get them to take the bait good they won't feel any resistance.

tacklerunner
05-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Oh and as far as blade style I think the wider the better for more flash. Unless I am trolling a gangtroll & trying to imitate a school of minnows. Then I find a thinner willow leaf shape is more effective.

Geezle
05-06-2012, 09:12 PM
I run metal clevises on all of my spinner rigs. I think they make the blade spin at a slower speed.

I use the plastic clevises for attaching weights to the main line. This way it is easy to switch up weight and it also lets the weight slide on the main line so if you have to feed the fish line to get them to take the bait good they won't feel any resistance.

Thanks, I'll have to look for these plastic clevises you guys speak of...about the only plastic hardware I've come across is plastic 'sliders' if that makes sense?

bobalong
05-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks, I'll have to look for these plastic clevises you guys speak of...about the only plastic hardware I've come across is plastic 'sliders' if that makes sense?

Sliders are what I run my weights in, I use a bobber stop to vary the snell length by sliding the weight up or down, or if the bottom is really "snaggy" I loop the line through the slider a couple of times and just loosen the loops when I want to vary the snell lenght. I tie all my rigs the same length about 24". I use translucent beads, and most of the time holigraphic or foilistic blades. Most of the rigs I tie are tandem but I tie a few singles for minnows.
You can see the plastic clevis clearly in the pic and you can get them at TFH, but I believe they only carry them in white, dont think the color really matters though.
These rigs are tied with slow death hooks but use Mustad Red #2 hooks most of the time.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/Fishing%20pics/IMG_2307.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/Fishing%20pics/IMG_2299.jpg

Daceminnow
05-06-2012, 09:58 PM
http://archives.in-fisherman.com/content/slow-motion-commotion

http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/fishingresources/articles/walleye/spinnerforwinners

read the "understanding blade styles" in this link.

http://www.learninghowtofish.com/pages/fishing-spinners.php

Dace

fishhawk1850
05-07-2012, 09:55 AM
I also use the plastic removeable clevis makes it easier to change things up and for storage. Fishhawk

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Ive been known to tie a few walleye spinners in my time . The components are cheep . I stick with the metal clevises , and the stacked beads as they come in 1 piece making life faster and easyer . I make mine about 16 to 24 inches long , made of Fluorocarbon line . Maybe costs me a dollar for the hook , line , spinner blade and clevis . I tie maybe 5 or 10 of each color and stick it in a little baggy and i'm laughing . Ive used them plastic changeable clevises , and after about the 5Th or so time I find the plastic gets kinda sloppy and end up losing the spinner blade . But thats just me .

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/b0e4caa3.jpg

192 whitey
05-07-2012, 12:55 PM
and after about the 5Th or so time I find the plastic gets kinda sloppy and end up losing the spinner blade . But thats just me .

X2 and they tend to kind of stick as well

Esox
05-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Ive been known to tie a few walleye spinners in my time . The components are cheep . I stick with the metal clevises , and the stacked beads as they come in 1 piece making life faster and easyer . I make mine about 16 to 24 inches long , made of Fluorocarbon line . Maybe costs me a dollar for the hook , line , spinner blade and clevis . I tie maybe 5 or 10 of each color and stick it in a little baggy and i'm laughing . Ive used them plastic changeable clevises , and after about the 5Th or so time I find the plastic gets kinda sloppy and end up losing the spinner blade . But thats just me .

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/b0e4caa3.jpg

Do you tie any with tandem snells? Is it possible to request a certain type/make of hook when you tie them?

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Do you tie any with tandem snells? Is it possible to request a certain type/make of hook when you tie them?

These are for my personal use ;) . But if I were to make an order I do tie Tandem Snell's , I do for myself as well , but these ones I will use with a minnow rather then a leach or Worm , that would be when I use a Tandem Snell or worm harness . I only Use the best of the best hooks , a size 4 octopus Gamakatsu hooks . Feel free to pm me . We can chat .

Freedom55
05-08-2012, 08:37 AM
I have a new tackle bag stuffed with:
a) 95 spinner rigs, 6'x14# Seaguar fluoro. c/w #6 & #4 hooks Mustad hooks
b) 24 leaders, ready for beads/blades, 6'x15# Vanish fluoro. c/w #4 Mazuo sickle hooks
c) 36 Lindy rig (single) size10 x 9' Rio leader material (fluoro)
d) 10 spin & glow single hook minnow rigs
e) tungsten worm sinkers and rock walkers
f) bottom bouncers 1/2 oz to 2 oz

All the spinner rigs use size 3 colorado blades and a folded metal clevis. Some have the plastic clevis, for the added white spot of flash. I got my schooling from tournament pros I met last summer, and I have tried hard to match their skill at colors and knots. I now know 4 ways to tie a snell knot, and I will bet that I run out of this terminal tackle before October, when I will need another 2 dozen Lindy rigs.

I also will be taking a tray full of beads, blades, floats and swivels, plus a spool of Seaguar 14# so I can whip up some smiley blade rigs at Lesser Slave.

All the leaders are long (6 or 9 feet) so I can cut them to length if needed and I bring a few size 4 and 5 colorado blades and a handful of willow leaf blades for added thump.

All the spinners have a diamond eye bead out front and most of the lindys have a glow bead (soft) on the knot. I use a swivel on everything to prevent line twist. All rolled up on foam tubes (available at any plumbing store).
After I install my new HDS-7 and change the oils, I think I am ready.

Free (to attend Cabela's grand opening on Thursday)

kent
05-09-2012, 06:00 PM
What's a diamond eye bead?

Cal
05-09-2012, 06:51 PM
I have a new tackle bag stuffed with:
a) 95 spinner rigs, 6'x14# Seaguar fluoro. c/w #6 & #4 hooks Mustad hooks
b) 24 leaders, ready for beads/blades, 6'x15# Vanish fluoro. c/w #4 Mazuo sickle hooks
c) 36 Lindy rig (single) size10 x 9' Rio leader material (fluoro)
d) 10 spin & glow single hook minnow rigs
e) tungsten worm sinkers and rock walkers
f) bottom bouncers 1/2 oz to 2 oz

All the spinner rigs use size 3 colorado blades and a folded metal clevis. Some have the plastic clevis, for the added white spot of flash. I got my schooling from tournament pros I met last summer, and I have tried hard to match their skill at colors and knots. I now know 4 ways to tie a snell knot, and I will bet that I run out of this terminal tackle before October, when I will need another 2 dozen Lindy rigs.

I also will be taking a tray full of beads, blades, floats and swivels, plus a spool of Seaguar 14# so I can whip up some smiley blade rigs at Lesser Slave.

All the leaders are long (6 or 9 feet) so I can cut them to length if needed and I bring a few size 4 and 5 colorado blades and a handful of willow leaf blades for added thump.

All the spinners have a diamond eye bead out front and most of the lindys have a glow bead (soft) on the knot. I use a swivel on everything to prevent line twist. All rolled up on foam tubes (available at any plumbing store).
After I install my new HDS-7 and change the oils, I think I am ready.

Free (to attend Cabela's grand opening on Thursday)

This all sound well and good but.... for early season trolling cranks almost always out produces spinners at a ratio of about 4/1 for me here on Slave. The later in the season it gets the more things even out but early season belongs to the cranks for sure! Stocked up my supply of thin fins, hot 'n tots, and wally divers. Got a small collection of Thunder Sticks which will be a new one for me to try... oh yeah, and a bunch of spinners but they probably wont be needed untill July or so.

Just wondering how you all snell your worm harnesses, I've been running my line through the eye and tying a blood knot with the wraps going around the shank of the hook, then proceding to the next hook. It seems to work pretty alright but just curious how the rest of you do it?