PDA

View Full Version : New Griz study tool - looks promising

avb3
05-07-2012, 02:40 PM
The Foothills Model Forest has developed a new habitat too.

To quote the website (http://foothillsresearchinstitute.ca/pages/Tools/DRGBFM.aspx), the [I]".... Resource Selection Function (RSF) modeling approach that depicts the relative probability of occurrence of grizzly bears over their entire range in western Alberta, an area of more than 250,000 km2. RSF models are based on the premise that animals do not use habitat types according to their availability, but preferentially select certain habitat types over others. To develop an RSF, GPS bear locations are overlaid with spatial layers representing some particular habitat attribute, and the distribution of locations relative to the attribute is compared with a set of random locations. These models are high-resolution (30m x 30m pixel size), seasonally specific, and independently validated with GPS data and DNA-based population inventory survey results."[/I

It sounds innovative, and that it will bring good new knowledge. I particularly like the acknowledgement and further study into the underlined area.

The science does get better.

209x50
05-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Just like the new science that will be brought to bear studying our bighorn sheep populations. Very good news indeed.