PDA

View Full Version : advice for trip to kitimat

Epinez
05-07-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm planning a trip to the Kitimat somewhere around last week of June or first week of July. I've never fished outside of Alberta and southern BC before and never for salmon. Going after chinooks. I've already got a 10 wt rod/reel setup (fly fishing). Will be pontoon boating.

Looking for any advice you might have from previous experience. What line, leader, fly suggestions, whether I'm going the right time, best stretches of river for put in and take out, basically anything you can tell me. I'd also consider other nearby rivers as suggestions.

It's all totally new for me so looking for any and all advice.

Thanks in advance!

Lambo
05-07-2012, 09:09 PM
I'm going there at the end of July. My first time but luckily I'm going with a bunch of guys who go every year. I'll see if I can get some info for you.

fishpro
05-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Going fly fishing there for the first time this summer myself, gonna be out there late July - mid August. From what I've read, the chinooks like the deep fast runs, so make sure to focus on them, google maps can be good for finding them. As for take outs, good stretches to run, etc. I'd talk to the guys at home hardware in town, they'll know about the conditions and any dangerous sections that have appeared anywhere.

I hear the Zymoetz(Copper) River has a great chinook run, the Kalum and Skeena are great too but will likely be high and muddy then.

You should be there around the prime time for Chinooks from what I've heard. Keep in mind the catch rates won't be like other salmon species. I decided on a bit later to get the high numbers of still quite large chums and still get quite a few chinooks. My guess is a little later would give you more options, but your timing will be perfect for Kitimat Chinooks.

fish gunner
05-07-2012, 11:03 PM
springs can be tough to find for a first timer. fish pro got it right with fast deep water, fast sink shooting heads will be the order of the day. a 4-6' leader of 20lb will sufice. i would use 30lb florocarbon. please make sure you use a backing at least as heavy. as kids we use to collect full fly lines off the carcass's folks go light on backing to gain capacity then lose there entire fly line when the backing breaks. big solid color flies in black, purple, red,blue, green, dark brown. florecant pink, yellow ,orange . I used big zonker patterns, leeches. hair wing streamers to represent egg stealing dollys and trout can produce savage strikes. if the water is high and colored fish can be tight to shore in deep water. one year we were putting a single orange bead on before tying on our fly that year it killed. hope that helps. sharpen your hooks alot. get into the habit of 5 casts, sharpen. tight lines, fair waters.

bardfromedson
05-08-2012, 11:51 AM
get ahold of these guys. http://noelgyger.ca/index.html

book a guide for the day on a drift boat. you will learn all the holes on the kitimat and can hike back to them for the rest of your trip. they will get you on the fish and save you a week of frustration. well worth it.

turbo mulcher
05-08-2012, 12:45 PM
I've fished that area quite a few times, if the river is down a float trip using rattlers. The chum ( and they are big) go for flies. The Home Hardware is a great place to buy the right lures. They would have a van and drive to all the fishing holes to replace gear .

boner54
05-08-2012, 03:30 PM
YOU MAY FIND THE RIVER STILL IN FRESHET, IF SO DON'T FLOAT IT. i LIVED IN TERRACE FOR YEARS AND GUIDED BOTH THE SKEENA AND TRIBS AS WELL AS THE KITIMAT, NOT A GOOD IDEA TO DRIFT IN A PONTONN DURING FRESHET

FisherGrrrl
05-08-2012, 04:45 PM
if the kitimat is flowing nice and you do want to float it talk to the tackle stores about local shuttle drivers, it was about 25$ any way you want to arrange the float, and they will know where good spots to drop in are.
have fun!! (im jealous;))

forestryboy
05-08-2012, 05:24 PM
I grew up in Kitimat and head back there at the exact same time each year when your going. Your going at the perfect time for chinook. Probably most of the rivers such as the Copper will be blown out but the kitimat and skeena should be excellent. In terms of where to fish on the banks across from the hatchery on the kitimat and you can't go wrong with ferry island in terrace. Most people shore fish using basically a pickeral rig (one hook only though) and roe sacks. My brother is a BC Parks supervisor in Terrace and he said some chinook are already being caught in the kalum (can only keep jacks). Minimum line weight of 25 lbs is recommended. Hope this helps, see ya out there!

Epinez
05-08-2012, 08:35 PM
thanks to everybody for the advice so far! Much appreciated!!

Ron Wakita
05-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Hi Epinex
My name is Ron Wakita. Our family owns and operates the local Hardware/Tackle Store in Kitimat. I also own a Guide and Charter company.
A friend referred me to this discussion. I have reviewed the comments and you have received excellent advise from anglers who have obvious knowledge of the fishing on the Kitimat River.
The one important comment I would offer is to fish the high tides when fishing the lower Kitimat. We have free tide charts available from our tackle store or from our Moblile Tackle Van.
I also publish a weekly Fishing Report on our website www.reliableguideandcharters.com that may help.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions. wakita@telus.net

Sincerely

Ron

Reliable Guide and Charters / City Centre Hardware and Fishing Tackle
380 City Centre
Kitimat B.C
V8C 1T6
bus.250 632-3522 cell.250 632-1275
fax. 250 632-3528
wakita@telus.net
www.kitimatfishingguideandcharters.com

fish gunner
05-10-2012, 05:02 PM
flash backs
mr wakita sold me my first fly outfit in the fall of 81 . I still have the reel , and the line treatment swab that came with the line. oh the memories and the miles of water seen since that great day. thank you Ron for a life time of learning and exploration. does mr burden still live up that way.
jeff.

ryanheartssteelhead
05-10-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm planning a trip to the Kitimat somewhere around last week of June or first week of July. I've never fished outside of Alberta and southern BC before and never for salmon. Going after chinooks. I've already got a 10 wt rod/reel setup (fly fishing). Will be pontoon boating.

Looking for any advice you might have from previous experience. What line, leader, fly suggestions, whether I'm going the right time, best stretches of river for put in and take out, basically anything you can tell me. I'd also consider other nearby rivers as suggestions.

It's all totally new for me so looking for any and all advice.

Thanks in advance!

The flies will be easy. Stop in at the shop above or others in the area. They'll have what you need.
remember, you'll be casting a big rod with a heavy tip all day. Shorten your leader length. 2 feet +-. too long of a leader and it will be tough casting.

newdrenalin
05-11-2012, 08:34 AM
flash backs
mr wakita sold me my first fly outfit in the fall of 81 . I still have the reel , and the line treatment swab that came with the line. oh the memories and the miles of water seen since that great day. thank you Ron for a life time of learning and exploration. does mr burden still live up that way.
jeff.

Flashback for sure !! I was born in Kitimat and bought both my first salmon rod and flyrod from Ron's parents back in 1978. Back in the days when the hardware store was downstairs in the mall.

dragon
05-11-2012, 12:13 PM
How is the Accomodation like in Kitimat? I know with the KMP project ramping up it could be difficult to find a place to stay whether hotel or campsite?

fishpro
06-07-2012, 01:19 PM
How is the Accomodation like in Kitimat? I know with the KMP project ramping up it could be difficult to find a place to stay whether hotel or campsite?

Just saw this, supposedly the motels usually fill up months in advance, so if you plan on going then I'd book soon!