PDA

View Full Version : Finding Sturgeon in the NSR.

FishingFrenzy
05-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Hey Guys,

Im thinkin about hunting down some sturgeon this weekend.
Im wondering if anyone has any tips for finding sturgeon in the NSR?? A spot would be NICE but im willing to do the legwork on my own. BBJ pointed me in the direction of one spot but I'd rather get out of the city a bit and find somewhere around Devon where I could hook into some dino's. Does anybody know if its possible to park at the Devon Lions Campground without paying?

Any help would be fantastic.

All I know about locating sturgeon is find big deep holes, any other tips would be great. Bait and rig tips also appreciated.

Thanks guys!
'frenzy

Teamprotz
05-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Can't help with Edmonton locations , but rebuild a pickeral rig with stronger line and better hooks , throw on a bunch of nightcrawlers and wait !

ishootbambi
05-08-2012, 12:42 AM
i posted this in another thread.

i use a medium action rod with braid. the fish arent likely to break you so much as the snags and crap in the river. a simple pickeral rig will work. i usually start with a worm on one hook and a minnow on the other, and if they are favoring one or the other ill go with it. i actually tie my own rigs as quality on store bought isnt so great. depending on current, ususally a 3 ounce weight is lots. i like to tie the weight with 6 pound mono..... id rather lose a weight than a whole rig. i havent lost a rig in a fish that i ever remember, but if i did i like the thought of that weight breaking loose easier. there are definitely some areas that produce better than others, but they can be found literally anywhere. look for the tail ends of deep pools. they like to wait there for their dinner to float on by. good luck.

dont know what the water there is like right now, but as it rises with runoff, they are more scattered. i have my best days in late summer when the water drops low. they concentrate more in the depths then.