PDA

View Full Version : can i have a beer on my 12' boat?

happyfisher
05-07-2012, 10:12 PM
anyone ran into this problem? Anyone know the rules? i hear the boat has to be anchored? or sleeping area?

thanks

NSRfishing
05-07-2012, 10:23 PM
no drinking in boat

billie
05-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Sure, they are $187 each or $115 during happy hour (if the CO is happy).

Ask me how I know:scared0018:

Geez, 2 lousy beer for a day or fishing.

SonnyJ
05-07-2012, 10:27 PM
no drinking in boat

Unless your boat looks like this..

http://vacation-indonesia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/yacht.jpg

jacobin
05-07-2012, 10:32 PM
What about house boating??

If you aren't the driver, I know that people do drink on the boat while it is moving.

So is this a special circumstance?

I am just curious, as I will be house boating later this year and a dry boat would really suck.

jacobin

Alberta Bigbore
05-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Take water or a diet pop

SonnyJ
05-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Take water or a diet pop

Or leave it back at the camper.

vcmm
05-07-2012, 10:43 PM
There is a time and a place for everything.:thinking-006:

Agb Crash
05-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Boat must have facilities and sleeping area. That is why it is allowed on houseboat.

happyfisher
05-07-2012, 10:51 PM
i guess ill have a secret compartment....he he....:bad_boys_20:

Wes_G
05-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Its still drinking and driving even though your not in your car. There needs to be way more enforcement out on the water for this type of stuff.

gl2
05-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Its still drinking and driving even though your not in your car. There needs to be way more enforcement out on the water for this type of stuff.

x2, people would pay attention if they started taking boats from people.

Geezle
05-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Take water or a diet pop

Diet pop? Is that code for Coors Light (training beer)?

Mike_W
05-07-2012, 11:09 PM
No it's not allowed!
Yes it sucks that you can't even have one or two brew while enjoying the day but the problem is that many people can't stop and get carried away plus isnt water and boating dangerous enough?

You can have booze on a boat that has sleeping quarters and an anchor but that is on the speculation that you are going to anchor and sleep it off.

ishootbambi
05-08-2012, 12:33 AM
some things dont mix. too many people die every year crossing alcohol and water. im not against drinking, but do it safely.....a boat isnt a safe place.

waterninja
05-08-2012, 04:24 AM
Unless your boat looks like this..

http://vacation-indonesia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/yacht.jpg
sonny i don't remember giving you permission to post a pic. of my canoe. if you look close you'll see me on the bridge deck in my red kimono.

Kim473
05-08-2012, 05:58 AM
Sure you can have a beer on your 12 ft alluminum boat. Just make sure your parked in your garage at home getting ready for the trip tomorrow. No drinking allowed on a boat.

Alberta Bigbore
05-08-2012, 07:25 AM

what the heck are you drinking...lol. I bet you hang around bbj so much he's got you drinking that crappy rice beer Budweiser.

MDG, or Moosehead.....or nuthin' !

Geezle
05-08-2012, 08:36 AM
what the heck are you drinking...lol. I bet you hang around bbj so much he's got you drinking that crappy rice beer Budweiser.

Bud? Good lord no!

I like Moosehead, not such a fan of MGD though.

The Saskatchewan in me prefers Pil. :o

Bigdad013
05-08-2012, 08:45 AM
You need sleeping quarters, a head, and cooking facilities. Anyone can drink onboard while underway, you don't need to be at anchor, the captain may not drink while the vessel is underway.

gilbertslake
05-08-2012, 08:50 AM
anyone ran into this problem? Anyone know the rules? i hear the boat has to be anchored? or sleeping area?

thanks

Maybe you need to look at the stats on drownings among recreational boaters re. alcohol use...........

Canadian Red Cross shows that in 23% of drownings victims were over the limit, 9% were below legal limit but had been drinking and another 7% were suspected to have been drinking. So, almost 40% of drownings in recreational water-craft had been drinking!!!

drinking and boating is no different than drinking and driving, it leads to more risk taking, reaction times are slower and it is just plain stupid, when you are endangering the lives of others as well as your own.

Jamie Black R/T
05-08-2012, 08:52 AM
i would be lying if i said i wouldnt pack a few cold beers on the boat if it was legal to do so....but i wouldnt pack enough to get drunk.

drunken fools ruined that for those of us who just want to have one or two while we enjoy a day on the water

oh well.....they taste that much better around the fire with some crispy fried walleye fillets

pophouseman
05-08-2012, 09:10 AM
also, don't try and enjoy a beer while on shore having a fish fry either....learned that the hard way

Envitro
05-08-2012, 09:41 AM
I've always wondered this as well.

I thought it was a hard-and-fast rule, no alcohol on board at all. I've never had beer on board but I've always wondered why my passengers couldn't enjoy a few cold ones while we're under way? My boat has a head, cuddy cabin to sleep, and a BBQ on board, so I would imagine we're fine.

While I would never boat and drink I don't see why everyone else can't have a beer or two?

Does anyone know the actual regs? I can't seem to get a consistent answer.

thorne
05-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Just clarify, when people say its the same as drinking and driving, that's not metaphorical, its actually the law. You can be charged with operating a motor vehical over the legal limit and if convicted it will reflect on you drivers record and insurance premiums, not to mention the possibility of getting your drivers license suspended. People generally don't care about there personal safety...the wallet however is a different story..

Bigdad013
05-08-2012, 10:35 AM
I've always wondered this as well.

I thought it was a hard-and-fast rule, no alcohol on board at all. I've never had beer on board but I've always wondered why my passengers couldn't enjoy a few cold ones while we're under way? My boat has a head, cuddy cabin to sleep, and a BBQ on board, so I would imagine we're fine.

While I would never boat and drink I don't see why everyone else can't have a beer or two?

Does anyone know the actual regs? I can't seem to get a consistent answer.

I can only quote the rcmp as they have checked me many times. My passengers were drinking in plain view. His explanation was, it is your home while on the water. As long as the driver is sober and not drinking, it is all good. As for your BBQ, you might be borderline as they told me you need permanent mounted cooking appliances, such as a stove. Now my boat sleeps 5 and has full facilities. It is my floating cabin

bardfromedson
05-08-2012, 10:44 AM
i think the official law states" grow a set and try not to get caught"
section 2 of the law states"don't get stupid"
and section 3 states " if you cant handle your liquer leave it on shore"
and final section states "don't get the driver too drunk"

208prov
05-08-2012, 10:57 AM
I can only quote the rcmp as they have checked me many times. My passengers were drinking in plain view. His explanation was, it is your home while on the water. As long as the driver is sober and not drinking, it is all good. As for your BBQ, you might be borderline as they told me you need permanent mounted cooking appliances, such as a stove. Now my boat sleeps 5 and has full facilities. It is my floating cabin

Your right with everything you said, But i was told by an officer that you need amooring point (a marina) this topic has came up lots in the meadow lake provincial park, a ton of people went out and bought new pontoon boats with bathrooms and the wardens said that no boat can be on the water with booze cause there is no mooring point, It is classed as a marina he says, not sure if this is 100% true but its their lives in risk. I dont take booze in my boat, i still remember my dads best friend that fell out of the boat taking a leak and then drowned.

Lambo
05-08-2012, 11:09 AM
also, don't try and enjoy a beer while on shore having a fish fry either....learned that the hard way

WHAT?! can't drink on shore either?! WTF?!

Bigdad013
05-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Your right with everything you said, But i was told by an officer that you need amooring point (a marina) this topic has came up lots in the meadow lake provincial park, a ton of people went out and bought new pontoon boats with bathrooms and the wardens said that no boat can be on the water with booze cause there is no mooring point, It is classed as a marina he says, not sure if this is 100% true but its their lives in risk. I dont take booze in my boat, i still remember my dads best friend that fell out of the boat taking a leak and then drowned.

Not doubting what you were told, just doesn't add up. Houseboats find a beach and it's all good. I go up the lake, anchor in a little bay, and it's all good. It sounds like you were chatting with a park warden, I wouldn't put too much into that. I have had many conversations with them, they seem to think they know every rule in the book, from fishing regs to how to build a rocket but when you show them otherwise, usually they say, oh they must have changed that...lol...Just from my own personal interactions with them.
Normally I don't have booze in the boat except if we are doing a 2 or 3 day adventure up the lake, or take some friends out for an evening cruise.

Canehdianman
05-08-2012, 11:33 AM

I'm going to look this up. I was always under the impression that having a beer on shore was fine (so long as it wasn't a provincial park or such).

In fact, it's always been my excuse for transporting un-opened beer. I am not drinking them in the boat, I am merely transporting them somewhere. (Then cracking one once the CO is out of sight)

Canehdianman
05-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Alright, looked it up.

It is legal to transport alcohol.

Section 83 of the Gaming and Liquor Act:

"A common carrier or other person may, in accordance with this Act, transport liquor from a place where liquor is lawfully located to another place where liquor may be lawfully located."

I will continue with my strategy of transporting beer in my boat during the day, in a cooler, for consumption later on at a shore lunch up-river. I might run into issues depending on where I stop for shore lunch (can't be a "public place")

**EDIT **

Here is some additional information from the regulations to the Act:

Transportation of liquor
87.1(1) Liquor may be transported under section 83 of the Act only in accordance with this section.
(2) Except as otherwise provided for in the Act or in a liquor licence, no person may
(a) transport liquor unless the liquor is in a container that is capped, corked or otherwise closed, whether or not the container has been previously opened;
(b) transport liquor in a vehicle if the liquor is within easy access of an occupant of the vehicle.

The phrase "easy access" might be defined in common law by now. I might go have a look at that next.

Further, Section 84 deals with drinking on a boat:

Except as otherwise provided for in this Act or in a liquor licence, no person may consume liquor in a vehicle unless, when the liquor is being consumed, the vehicle is a temporary residence. (temporary residence is a defined term)

happyfisher
05-08-2012, 12:05 PM
so the operator of the boat cant drink but my passenger can.....correct?

happy

nekred
05-08-2012, 12:20 PM
No...

No beer in 12' fishing boat period...

Portapotty and hibachi grill in boat does not qualify as a residence...

and if you would rememebr you boating coaurse... you would already know the answer...

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-08-2012, 01:40 PM

Nothin wrong with Busweiser or Kokanee . Better then that crap canadian or corona.

At least we are manly enough to fish more then just manitoba . :lol: And you sir probably drink that Coors Icetea .

Back to the thread before im a Thread derailing terrorist , Booze and boats bad bad bad idea . Being in a boat takes a persons full attention , and drinking or doing drugs will greatly increase your chance of something real bad happening . Not sure about you but I value my life , and will save the booze for when I get home or to camp .

You dont drink and drive , well maybe you do , but being incontrol of a Boat is no diffrent then having a beer in your hand driving down the highway .

If you have your boaters opperator card , you will have taken the course and would know the above answers already .

BE SMART BOOZING AND BOATING DONT MIX .

Alberta Bigbore
05-08-2012, 02:00 PM
that's ok BSJ. I mean.. Oooops. BBJ. you can deny that I drink MGD and Moosehead.. but hey.. Its better to drink moosehead than to give it .....

Plus..... I think that rice beer is making you hallucinate... Thinking and claiming you can cast over fort sask trout pond. Some of us keep it real.. And some of us dream. Am I right? Am I right? Lol BBJ....sloooooow doooown before i ship you to Kenyaaaaaaaa!

Nothin wrong with Busweiser or Kokanee . Better then that crap canadian or corona.

At least we are manly enough to fish more then just manitoba . :lol: And you sir probably drink that Coors Icetea .

Back to the thread before im a Thread derailing terrorist , Booze and boats bad bad bad idea . Being in a boat takes a persons full attention , and drinking or doing drugs will greatly increase your chance of something real bad happening . Not sure about you but I value my life , and will save the booze for when I get home or to camp .

You dont drink and drive , well maybe you do , but being incontrol of a Boat is no diffrent then having a beer in your hand driving down the highway .

If you have your boaters opperator card , you will have taken the course and would know the above answers already .

BE SMART BOOZING AND BOATING DONT MIX .

hunted
05-08-2012, 03:14 PM
so the operator of the boat cant drink but my passenger can.....correct?

happy

Yes you are fine. Just tell them you read it on Alberta Outdoorsman. That ought to cover you off. :snapoutofit:

Bigdad013
05-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Yes you are fine. Just tell them you read it on Alberta Outdoorsman. That ought to cover you off. :snapoutofit:

lol:sHa_shakeshout:

05-08-2012, 04:08 PM
that's ok BSJ. I mean.. Oooops. BBJ. you can deny that I drink MGD and Moosehead.. but hey.. Its better to drink moosehead than to give it .....

Plus..... I think that rice beer is making you hallucinate... Thinking and claiming you can cast over fort sask trout pond. Some of us keep it real.. And some of us dream. Am I right? Am I right? Lol BBJ....sloooooow doooown before i ship you to Kenyaaaaaaaa!

I hope thats not a threat , That would be a FORUM RULE ;) . as for me casting across that pond as soon as the peanut gallery chimed in and told me what I could and couldn't use for equipment I walked away from it otherwise id be game .

Alberta Bigbore
05-08-2012, 04:37 PM
I hope thats not a threat , That would be a FORUM RULE ;) . as for me casting across that pond as soon as the peanut gallery chimed in and told me what I could and couldn't use for equipment I walked away from it otherwise id be game .

haha..no threat... Its serious.. I would ...ship you to Kenya. Lol

You better cast across that pond... I have a case of real beer riding on it.

05-08-2012, 04:51 PM
haha..no threat... Its serious.. I would ...ship you to Kenya. Lol

You better cast across that pond... I have a case of real beer riding on it.

Kenya do they got good fishing there . No I will not do it , Sure im being a cry baby about it , Anyone with a logical sence knows that your not going to cross across that pond with 6 lb untra light gear . Yes I woulda used my whoopin stick and my new TAKOTA .

gilbertslake
05-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Kenya do they got good fishing there . No I will not do it , Sure im being a cry baby about it , Anyone with a logical sence knows that your not going to cross across that pond with 6 lb untra light gear . Yes I woulda used my whoopin stick and my new TAKOTA .

Kenya has great trout fishing in the mountains. I would go if I were you :sHa_shakeshout:

dragon
05-08-2012, 05:25 PM
if you can't spend the better part of a day and not consume alcohol you may have a problem.

if you contemplate or knowingly break the law in order to consume alcohol you may have a problem.

Bigdad013
05-08-2012, 05:47 PM
I'm going to look this up. I was always under the impression that having a beer on shore was fine (so long as it wasn't a provincial park or such).

In fact, it's always been my excuse for transporting un-opened beer. I am not drinking them in the boat, I am merely transporting them somewhere. (Then cracking one once the CO is out of sight)

You can have a beer or a drink on shore if it's private property. I am no legal expert by any stretch, but I think if you had a camp set up on shore, then you could. Otherwise I think they call it illegal possession of alcohol. The rules are a little on the extreme imho. If a guy wants to have a beer with his lunch, what's the harm? I don't get it.

Ebrand
05-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Somebody better look up the definition of " container " in the Gaming and Liquor Act before they fill their cooler up / open any bottles or break up the packaging the liquor comes in.

Boat must be a "temporary residence" before open containers or consumption is allowed. Same applies to a Motorhome.

michaelmicallef
05-08-2012, 06:43 PM
When it's hot I have a beer on my pontoon boat. I know I'm breaking the law but as long as the cops don't, one beer is not going to hurt anyone. I even pack my beer can out with me. I think the law is set up to keep people from getting drunk so I take my chances and have a beer. To bad the law and common sence are so far removed.

Lefty-Canuck
05-08-2012, 06:49 PM
When it's hot I have a beer on my pontoon boat. I know I'm breaking the law but as long as the cops don't, one beer is not going to hurt anyone. I even pack my beer can out with me. I think the law is set up to keep people from getting drunk so I take my chances and have a beer. To bad the law and common sence are so far removed.

Common sense ain't so common anymore....

LC :)

bobalong
05-08-2012, 06:50 PM
From Transport Canada Pleasure Craft Operator Requirements and Information

Boating while impaired is an offence under the Criminal Code. Convictions, even for a first offence, may result in heavy punishment. Penalties range from a minimum of $1000 to a ban from operating a vessel for up to three years. Operators with more than 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood are liable to the following fines (The maximum sentence may vary from province to province):
•1st offence: at least $1000 fine;
•2nd offence: at least 30 days of imprisonment; and
•3rd offence: at least 120 days of imprisonment.

Provinces and territories have rules that determine when alcohol can be consumed, or how it can be transported on a boat. In most provinces, alcohol may be consumed on board the vessel if it meets certain conditions, such as having:
•the vessel has permanent sleeping facilities;
•the vessel has permanent cooking facilities;
•the vessel has a permanent toilet; and
•the vessel is anchored or secured alongside a dock.

1899b
05-08-2012, 06:51 PM

thanks

The only "problem" you have is not waiting to get home for yer beer. There are counsellors for said problems. LOL!!! :sHa_shakeshout:

pelada trochu
05-08-2012, 07:37 PM
permanent stove is new to me.

thought it was always a toilet, permanent sleeping quarters and be at anchor.

course i have seen everyone drinking on their boats.

Alberta Bigbore
05-08-2012, 10:28 PM

Kenya has great trout fishing in the mountains. I would go if I were you :sHa_shakeshout:

See BBJ? Time to start packing. LOL. Off to Kenya with ya.

glen1971
05-09-2012, 06:16 AM
Somebody better look up the definition of " container " in the Gaming and Liquor Act before they fill their cooler up / open any bottles or break up the packaging the liquor comes in.

Four beer is not open liquor, if the cans/bottles are not open...How would I walk to a neighbors house for a beer with 4 from my fridge in a grocery bag? I have to drive to the store, buy 6, put them in the trunk, and then head over? If you are driving with them, put them in the trunk/truck box..Opened wine would be considered open liquor, as the bottle is not sealed..

michaelmicallef
05-09-2012, 07:10 AM
if you can't spend the better part of a day and not consume alcohol you may have a problem.

if you contemplate or knowingly break the law in order to consume alcohol you may have a problem.

I'm the guy that buys a case of beer and it sometimes it gets skunky before I finish it. So I guess I have a problem with the law, I work hard and one beer is not going to kill anyone, the people with the problem are the people that can't have just one beer. And The B.S law about the rich man's boat, Please a vehicle is a vehicle. I guess people that own yatchs are better at resisting temptation and never ever operate thier huge boats and not even have one drink (or contribute to political organizations)wonder about that law. Please!!

GoneFishin'
05-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Take water or a diet pop

Or leave it back at the camper.

There is a time and a place for everything.:thinking-006:

...Go fishing, enjoy the day..done for the day back at home, or camp, then enjoy the beer...

ddddd05
05-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Yes you can have a beer on your boat, just don't get drunk and fall overboard. Also you'll want to steer clear of places with fish cops and all these nerds that say you can't.

There are nice secluded places away from the rule makers and ball busters to enjoy a beer and fishing, you just have to find them.

pophouseman
05-09-2012, 12:52 PM
yes you can have a beer on your boat you'll want to steer clear of places with fish cops and all these nerds that say you can't.

hahahahhahahahahaha boom!!!!!!

ReconWilly
05-09-2012, 01:07 PM

"Seriously officer, the internet told me it was OK" I chose to ask the internet rather than to READ THE EASILY ACCESSABLE RULES AND REGULATIONS!! BWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA....:sign0161:

Dark
05-09-2012, 03:01 PM
We got checked on Calling Lake having a lunch break on shore, the fish cop informed us that the only place we could drink was on my boat,lol.
I new this, but it was strange having a cop tell us to get back on the boat and start drinking.
Our boat is fully equipped for living onboard.

Vega21
05-09-2012, 03:06 PM

I LOL'd

canadiantdi
05-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Yes it sucks that you can't even have one or two brew while enjoying the day but the problem is that many people can't stop and get carried away plus isnt water and boating dangerous enough?

The people who can have one or two shouldn't be penalized because some people can't stop before becoming impaired.

I wouldn't feel bad about having a beer or two out on the lake. It would not be hurting anyone at all.

ccg818
05-09-2012, 04:19 PM
I got a river boat this year and there is nothing better than pulling into a nice beach and having a beer. As long as your not drinking in the boat and not over the legal limit while driving the boat I don't think there is much anybody can do? Oh well I guess I will pay the $100 fine or whatever it is if it comes to it.

NSRfishing
05-09-2012, 05:27 PM
I got a river boat this year and there is nothing better than pulling into a nice beach and having a beer. As long as your not drinking in the boat and not over the legal limit while driving the boat I don't think there is much anybody can do? Oh well I guess I will pay the $100 fine or whatever it is if it comes to it.

$1000 fine and a dui charge

BeeGuy
05-09-2012, 05:30 PM
It's too bad the membership here isn't as militant about liquor on the water, as they are about foreigner's with barbed hooks.

Barbed hooks never KILLED anyone.

michaelmicallef
05-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Most C.O.'s I know won't bust you for a beer, I have even been told by C.O's thier not going to search you for alcohol unless you appear intoxicated. Keep your one beer low key and enjoy it. Getting drunk on the water is just plan stupid and the law I guess errors on the side of the stupid and the people with no self control. My friend who is a OPP officer in Northern Onatrio told me a story about a guy who left a trail of empty beer cans on the water. He made it really easy to find him. Stupid people are everywhere. If you are being stupid your asking for trouble. Having one beer is not being stupid it is being responsably defient. Just my opinion.

canadiantdi
05-09-2012, 08:20 PM
It's too bad the membership here isn't as militant about liquor on the water, as they are about foreigner's with barbed hooks.

I doubt anyone on here would condone any liquor related activity that would put anyone in danger. People should be more concerned with a poacher out on the water as opposed to a guy having a beer in a boat.

ccg818
05-09-2012, 10:16 PM
$1000 fine and a dui charge

$1000 fine and a dui charge for a beer on the shore? Maybe if I weighed 50 pounds and hadn't eaten for 3 days....

Wes_G
05-09-2012, 10:22 PM
I may be wrong, but isnt the only place that liquor can be consumed is at a private residence ( including camp sites)or licensed establishement.?

BeeGuy
05-09-2012, 11:20 PM
I doubt anyone on here would condone any liquor related activity that would put anyone in danger. People should be more concerned with a poacher out on the water as opposed to a guy having a beer in a boat.

The issue isn't one beer, because it is rarely just one.

I highly doubt when someone heads out they only take 2 beer. One for the captain and one for the mate.

Again, people Die from combining booze and boats every year.

Where do you draw the line?

Terra Firma.

fish gunner
05-09-2012, 11:51 PM
The issue

people Die from combining booze and boats every year.

Terra Firma.

folks please take heed the man speaks the truth. one beer wont hurt but then neither does drowning. chances are the beer will do you no harm getting rid of it after drinking it just may. the law becomes null when your dead. murphy never sleeps.

huntsfurfish
05-10-2012, 06:16 AM

x2
Aint that the truth!

huntsfurfish
05-10-2012, 06:27 AM
Leave the beer in camp or at home!!!!

I may or may not call about someone not pinching their barbs, but I will call about someone drinking in a boat!

A person I know was killed by a drunk boater.

Canehdianman
05-10-2012, 08:59 AM

I highly doubt when someone heads out they only take 2 beer. One for the captain and one for the mate.

Terra Firma.

People drown every year too. Probably safer if you stopped fishing altogether.

fish gunner
05-10-2012, 09:07 AM
People drown every year too. Probably safer if you stopped fishing altogether.

there is a bit of a difference between an accident & stupidity. one is stupid on purpose.

pikergolf
05-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Darwin had it right on some accounts, the best you can hope for is they don't take someone with them.

mustard73
05-10-2012, 01:52 PM

Amen.

canadiantdi
05-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Leave the beer in camp or at home!!!!

I may or may not call about someone not pinching their barbs, but I will call about someone drinking in a boat!

A person I know was killed by a drunk boater.

Do you only tattle on drunk boaters or everyone you see having a beer?

ccg818
05-10-2012, 02:13 PM
It might be best if we bring back prohibition. Booze and any activity out there can cause problems for people that abuse it. How many of us go for dinner and have a few drinks then drive home? I do it a couple times a week and yes I have been pulled over and had to give a breathalyzer. I know my limits and never had issues or a fine. Sure it would probably be best if I didn't but until they bring in a zero tolerance act I will continue to have a glass of wine or 2 with a meal and have a beer on the shore of the river on a nice sunny day.

Jamie Black R/T
05-10-2012, 02:55 PM
It might be best if we bring back prohibition

much like firearms laws....they only effect the responsible people who follow the rules.

prohibition didnt rid the country of booze...it just created a moonshine industry.

BeeGuy
05-10-2012, 03:03 PM
much like firearms laws....they only effect the responsible people who follow the rules.

prohibition didnt rid the country of booze...it just created a moonshine industry.

much like drinking and driving laws, they protect the public, and the selfish, ignorant A$SH0LE behind the wheel.

How far do you guys have to stretch to find some absurd support for what can only be described as stupidity.

Prohibition?
Firearms?
People drown, stop fishing?
Really?

Pathetic.

Okotokian
05-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Pretty bad when you just HAVE to have some alcohol while participating in a potentially lethal activity. I GOTTA HAVE IT!!!!!!!!! No addiction there.....

ccg818
05-10-2012, 03:44 PM

Terra Firma.

The Law has drawn the line at 0.05. Happy boating everybody and play safe!!

pikergolf
05-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Just some good ole boy's..... Sung to the tune of Dukes of Hazzard.

iliketrout
05-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Pretty bad when you just HAVE to have some alcohol while participating in a potentially lethal activity. I GOTTA HAVE IT!!!!!!!!! No addiction there.....

Pretty bad when we start to call fishing "potentially lethal". Russian roulette is potentially lethal. Unless you're shark fishing with bare hands and slit your wrist to use yourself as chum, I cannot comprehend how someone would call fishing a potentially lethal activity.

Jamie Black R/T
05-10-2012, 03:53 PM
much like drinking and driving laws, they protect the public, and the selfish, ignorant A$SH0LE behind the wheel.

the only point i was trying the make was that another law wont help.

the limit is now .05BAC and that "ignorant A$SH0LE" is still out there running amock killing innocent people.

I wasnt trying to say its a great idea to drink and fish/boat/drive/quad/breathe

pikergolf
05-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Pretty bad when we start to call fishing "potentially lethal". Russian roulette is potentially lethal. Unless you're shark fishing with bare hands and slit your wrist to use yourself as chum, I cannot comprehend how someone would call fishing a potentially lethal activity.

I think he was refering to drinking and operating a boat or drinking and driving home, fishing not so much.

Okotokian
05-10-2012, 04:00 PM

not fishing, boating. I could give a rat's A if you stand on shore with a rod in one hand and a bottle of Jack in the other.

BeeGuy
05-10-2012, 04:13 PM
not fishing, boating. I could give a rat's A if you stand on shore with a rod in one hand and a bottle of Jack in the other.

x2

we had a saying back home, "too drunk to fish". because all you had to do is prop yourself up against a tree. if you couldn't do that, you were in some trouble.

anyhow, from transport canada (this varies by province):

Alcohol and Boating

Driving Under the Influence

Boating while impaired is an offence under the Criminal Code of Canada.

Operators with more than 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood are liable to the following fines:

1st offence : at least $600 fine
2nd offence : at least 14 days of imprisonment
3rd offence : at least 90 days of imprisonment

The maximum sentence may vary depending on provincial statutes.

Consumption of Alcohol

In most provinces:
Alcohol may be consumed on board the pleasure craft only if it meets all of the following conditions:

The vessel has permanent sleeping facilities
The vessel has permanent cooking facilities
The vessel has a permanent toilet
The vessel is anchored or secured alongside a dock

Check with the appropriate provincial authorities (OPP for Ontario, SQ for Quebec, RCMP for all other provinces and territories) for carriage restrictions.

In Alberta, research shows that alcohol or drug consumption was involved in 64% of all boating deaths, 59% of recreational powerboating, and 84% of canoeing deaths.

If you die from boating, it is more than likely that alcohol was a factor in your death, or that of a friend or family member.

Rabdo
05-10-2012, 04:21 PM
What about smoking a lefty on the 12 footer lol

iliketrout
05-10-2012, 04:32 PM
What about smoking a lefty on the 12 footer lol

Your delayed reaction time will cause you to lose more fish.

ogre
05-10-2012, 04:45 PM
your delayed reaction time will cause you to lose more fish.

lol!

Rabdo
05-10-2012, 04:50 PM
What?!?? I thought it was performance enhancing

huntsfurfish
05-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Do you only tattle on drunk boaters or everyone you see having a beer?

Does it matter?

Pull up alongside while having one and see.:)

canadiantdi
05-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Does it matter?

Pull up alongside while having one and see.:)

Yes it matters. Having a beer isn't dangerous. Being drunk while boating is.:love0025:

happyfisher
05-10-2012, 07:52 PM
i didnt know this would cause such a S%^@ storm.....lol....OK ill have 1 on shore...one in boat (ill b under.05) and maybe a "smoke"....fish cops cant prove that....perfect....

he he :bad_boys_20:
on my boat

NSRfishing
05-10-2012, 09:08 PM
i didnt know this would cause such a S%^@ storm.....lol....OK ill have 1 on shore...one in boat (ill b under.05) and maybe a "smoke"....fish cops cant prove that....perfect....

he he :bad_boys_20:
on my boat

police can do saliva test for thc can fish cops do the same?

pelada trochu
05-10-2012, 09:49 PM
i like beer. usually drink one while sitting in my driveway (not in the car :) ) after i get back from fishing and the boat is put away in the garage.

everyone drinks on the water. i see their cans all over the bottom.

i have never seen a cop pull someone over for doing 111kph on highway 2. i suppose they wont bust a couple guys having a sandwhich and a beer anchor down. but i totally expect them to bust the 12 college students flying across the lake with 5 lifejackets and 60 beers in the cooler.

if your one of those people who cant possibly go fishing without caring more about ice for your beer than bait for your fish. then you should not be suprised when you get busted.

lets all try and be good neighbours to each other out there. drink in moderation, be respectful to nature, enjoy!!!

billie
05-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Pretty typical AO thread. Guy asks a simple question and varroooooommmmm…….I hope you are now better informed Happyfisher:sHa_shakeshout:.

I commented early that I got caught, and got $115 for possession rather than $187 for consumption because the CO was reasonable. I don’t argue the ticket, and I'll take it for my empyties also since they come home with me (maybe it's because I'm scot:)).

I also had 2 waters, 2 iced tea and snacks, I just enjoy the taste of beer, but for the benefit of everyone concerned, I’ll check in to Betty Ford as soon as Wild Rose confirms and approves the unnecessary wait time.

Carry on.

deercrazy!
05-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Please all you holier than thou people :sign0176: the key word hear is moderation .If I want to have a couple beers while out enjoying a day fishing so be it if you want water and diet pop go ahead I don't need you telling what I can and can't do just like I would't tell you what you can and can't do. And yes we have had the fish cops at the boat and they don't even bat an eye at a couple beer in the boat like I said moderation is key. Now I can hardly wait to get out fishin , relax minding my own business and have a couple . See you on the water

ddddd05
05-10-2012, 11:21 PM
This thread has brought out the squares in record numbers. Who has the time to look up these laws and post them. Its obviously illegal, no need to pull stats guys.

As for all the people saying have a beer back at camp. It's illegal to drink in campgrounds and public property. Unless your campsite is next to a bar or a buddy's cabin you're also breaking the law.

I bet the guy who started this thread was just joking and laughing at everyone getting worked up!

fish gunner
05-10-2012, 11:42 PM
maybe if you had some dealings with the aftermath of an alcohol related boating fatality you may feel I little different. spend a day on some of the popular water sport lakes in AB. see if you can judge if the guy in the ski boat is a moderate drinker as they pass you a 30 odd mph. lots of the pleasure craft operators cant be safe when sober what chance do they have after a beer or six.
in my opinion beer on the water is the first sign of a flat land naval candidate.

ddddd05
05-10-2012, 11:51 PM
Oh my god fishgunner, be more dramatic! Nobody is talking about getting loser drunk and also not on some busy lake in the middle of summer.

I have great story for you that my grandmother used to tell. Some losers were drunk in their boat and tried to go 40 mph through the train tressel on Wabamun and crashed and died.

They were idiots of course. The guy who had a beer in a tin boat is not your enemy. It's guys on sea doos and party boys in large ski boats that you should watch out for.

Is it time to put driving lanes on our lakes like they have in California?

fish gunner
05-11-2012, 12:17 AM
the operator of the boat accident I mentioned claimed to have had 4 beer in the day and was operating a 20' fishing /pleasure craft. so you heard a story form your grandma who heard a story abought a a guy. must have been difficult to cope with the loss.

horsetrader
05-11-2012, 12:46 AM
Yes you can have a beer on your boat, just don't get drunk and fall overboard. Also you'll want to steer clear of places with fish cops and all these nerds that say you can't.

There are nice secluded places away from the rule makers and ball busters to enjoy a beer and fishing, you just have to find them.

Please all you holier than thou people :sign0176: the key word hear is moderation .If I want to have a couple beers while out enjoying a day fishing so be it if you want water and diet pop go ahead I don't need you telling what I can and can't do just like I would't tell you what you can and can't do. And yes we have had the fish cops at the boat and they don't even bat an eye at a couple beer in the boat like I said moderation is key. Now I can hardly wait to get out fishin , relax minding my own business and have a couple . See you on the water

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/horsetrader_photo/images-6.jpg

50/50
05-11-2012, 06:37 AM
wonder if the local COs let you go if your keeping small walleyes in "moderation"

Bigdad013
05-11-2012, 06:53 AM
[QUOTE=ddddd05;1434111]

As for all the people saying have a beer back at camp. It's illegal to drink in campgrounds and public property. Unless your campsite is next to a bar or a buddy's cabin you're also breaking the law.

I believe you can drink in campgrounds as long as you keep it to your site unless the campground has zero tolerance for alcohol, which quite a few do have now on long weekends.

huntsfurfish
05-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Yes it matters. Having a beer isn't dangerous. Being drunk while boating is.:love0025:

So I know you are only having one:snapoutofit:

mmxk
05-11-2012, 10:16 AM

You can definitely drink booze in campground but not in day use area.

dragon
05-11-2012, 12:07 PM

So if you pull of to a light and buddy next to you is having a beer while driving. do you call him in? probably just having one? :thinking-006:

pophouseman
05-11-2012, 12:17 PM
So if you pull of to a light and buddy next to you is having a beer while driving. do you call him in? probably just having one? :thinking-006:

Hopefully the person would be smart enough to know that a Pepsi can is slightly larger then a beer can and if you cut to bottom out you can slip the beer in and it looks like your drinking a pepsi......but you have to rip the tab off the beer can after you open it.....or else it doesn't fit quite right...........

happyfisher
05-11-2012, 07:59 PM
pophouse man is the coolest person ever

happy:love0025:

canadiantdi
05-11-2012, 08:41 PM
So I know you are only having one:snapoutofit:

You might not. But you could stay out of my business unless it is affecting you. I wouldn't hesitate calling in a drunk boater who is putting others at risk but I wouldn't call in a guy in a 12' aluminum enjoying a beer and a sandwich. Actually, better call the cops just in case!

canadiantdi
05-11-2012, 08:43 PM

If you can't see on your own how it's different, there is no point in me wasting my typing stamina trying to explain it.

BTW, I wouldn't call in a guy who left a restaurant after having a beer with lunch.

.257Weatherby
05-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Boat must have cooking facility, and a toilet facility.
Check out the PCOC test and it will give you all the info you need to know and more.
And if you are operating the boat , no beer for you.
10 years in the CCGA Unit 7 Steveston(R)
Rob

huntsfurfish
05-11-2012, 09:44 PM
You might not. But you could stay out of my business unless it is affecting you. I wouldn't hesitate calling in a drunk boater who is putting others at risk but I wouldn't call in a guy in a 12' aluminum enjoying a beer and a sandwich. Actually, better call the cops just in case!

Maybe you wouldnt but I will.:) Even if its a canoe.:) Check the stats, you might actually save his life. You dont need to drink on the water.

chasingtail
05-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Why is is lawful to drink and drive in a golf cart?
Every year I float down the Red deer river either by canoe or a tube and like every one else floating down the river I'm sucking back beer. No motor, no big deal.

BeeGuy
05-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Gotta wonder what kind of example, "Having a couple cold ones" in the boat gives to your kids or other peoples kids.

They watch you having "2 or 3" and when they get older they only have, "5 or 6". etc

pophouseman
05-11-2012, 11:22 PM
pophouse man is the coolest person ever

happy:love0025:

Why thank you!!!!

pecker
05-12-2012, 04:48 PM
I LOL'd

coors light - like sex on the beach -- f--kin near water. its ok to have a beer in the boat long as you use a pepsi can to cover it up . lol.

pophouseman
05-12-2012, 05:11 PM
its ok to have a beer in the boat long as you use a pepsi can to cover it up

X2

keeks
05-12-2012, 06:14 PM

Perfect. As for the stats on drunk drownings, thats just natural selection. The weak and stupid should be allowed to perish.

fluxcore
05-12-2012, 06:39 PM
X2

X3 and watch out for mouth swab thc tests lololol there all over the place on the water :sHa_shakeshout:

fish gunner
05-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Perfect. As for the stats on drunk drownings, thats just natural selection. The weak and stupid should be allowed to perish.

that would work. .... if not for the innocent and decent law abiding folks the stupid have a preponderance of killing with them. give your head a shake man.

ddddd05
05-14-2012, 12:24 AM
So fishgunner, you say the guy who was driving the fishing boat had 4 beers. That wouldn't put you over the legal limit if they were drank over a 3 hour period.

BGSH
05-14-2012, 12:28 AM
alexander keith is where it is at :)

bubba 96
05-14-2012, 12:33 AM
Well let's see, fishing..hmmmmm anchored jigging, oh no he's havin a beer..oh oh bottom bouncing. 1.8 kph wooooo......trolling toped out at a whopping 2mph.....easy...wait lindy rigging....08 mph.....whoooo gonna kill people at those speeds....What's stopping guys having 12beer at campsite then heading out to fish......enough already time to close this thread..Pretty sure it isn't the guy in a 12ft boat havin a beer killin people...:snapoutofit:

fish gunner
05-14-2012, 01:06 AM
So fishgunner, you say the guy who was driving the fishing boat had 4 beers. That wouldn't put you over the legal limit if they were drank over a 3 hour period.

no I posted that the boat operater claimed to have consumed 4 beer during the days fishing. on the run home the boat hit submerged rocks, a person was killed. alcohol was a factor what dont you get. do you just have a beer for a trip in to town .

fish gunner
05-14-2012, 01:11 AM
alexander keith is where it is at :)

im more a guineas guy. keiths is not a bad choice but when I want to be stupid I prefer dos eques.

BeeGuy
05-14-2012, 01:44 AM
When I drink and drive, I prefer The Silver Bullet, Coors Light.

travrgtr
05-14-2012, 02:27 PM
As stated by others. Permanent accomodations: head,sleeping quarters--no worries at anchor or moving. Captain excluded. On shore you can get busted on crown land if you are not at camp. Same rules as for drivers or atv'rs. Sketchy part of all this is when you're transporting alcohol to your camp up river ect. Make damn sure you have your receipt and your camping gear in the same boat as the booze. (booze put away and out of reach of captain)

dragon
05-14-2012, 03:12 PM
If you can't see on your own how it's different, there is no point in me wasting my typing stamina trying to explain it.

BTW, I wouldn't call in a guy who left a restaurant after having a beer with lunch.

They guy leaving the restaurant is not evidently breaking any laws. If he had 6 beers would you? If he took one for the road would you? If you are consuming alcohol while on a boat or in a car you are in violation. I believe we are talking about more than one rule here.

dragon
05-14-2012, 03:16 PM

Might suck if you ever needed medical aid or resources and the 911 operator says... "Sorry air ambulance is unavailble because they are attending lake X trying to beat natural selection"

bikerman
05-14-2012, 04:48 PM

Redneck wisdom, and I like it. When I was a kid, my buddy used to cut the bottom out of a 5 gallon fuel can and position it over his cooler. Not that I'm trying to give anyone ideas!

steelhead
05-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Shore fishing

Be under the 5 m high water mark and on crown land

set up a tent and throw a sleeping bag in and a small camp stove.

sit along shore, pound em back.

Your at camp and its legal to drink at a campsite.

no tent, no drinkie!

dont drive drunk. .50

Know your limits.

go to shore to pee.

most deaths cause from tinklin over the edge of boat.

Have fun.

420 safer than alcohol.

STEELHEAD

ddddd05
05-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Oh Fishgunner I get it now, it was one of those booze cruises where you pay $50 and it's all you can drink. If thats the case you are right.

2012 Fish Count
rainbow: 11
brown: 3
laker: 2
perch10"+: 6
pike: 5
burbot:2
bull:1

huntsfurfish
05-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Shore fishing

Be under the 5 m high water mark and on crown land

set up a tent and throw a sleeping bag in and a small camp stove.

sit along shore, pound em back.

Your at camp and its legal to drink at a campsite.

no tent, no drinkie!

dont drive drunk. .50

Know your limits.

go to shore to pee.

most deaths cause from tinklin over the edge of boat.

Have fun.

420 safer than alcohol.

STEELHEAD

Actually I believe you can still get a ticket:evilgrin:. I think the drinking legally has to take place inside the tent:)

steelhead
05-14-2012, 08:01 PM
I have never seen an alcohol ticket given out if you have a camp.

I am usually crudfaced while shorefishing at the Forks with a tent.

I have asked RC's and CO's, its all good. I have looked at the laws, alls good.

If your drinking with no campsite set up they give tickets. I have seen it happen there and they ask if your camping. We have vouched for day users that got pinched, but they were having 2 beers through the day, not a case and a mickey then drive.

No need for a tent, but its nice to set up the screen tent when the skitters get thick.

Kinda funny thought, seein some freak, sitting in a puptent, peering out the screen, waiting for a bite. If I was the cop, i would tazer him.

STEELHEAD

happyfisher
05-16-2012, 04:34 PM
ok i started this th:bad_boys_20:read...it so i will finish it.....a few beers it is.........but fish cops could give me a ticket......i wont get drunk or litter......

thanks

Happy

canadiantdi
05-16-2012, 04:59 PM
They guy leaving the restaurant is not evidently breaking any laws. If he had 6 beers would you? If he took one for the road would you? If you are consuming alcohol while on a boat or in a car you are in violation. I believe we are talking about more than one rule here.

I guess I just don't equate having a beer on a fishing boat, with drinking beer while driving down the highway inches from other vehicles. If you do, that's great!

Re:Evil
05-17-2012, 12:16 PM
How do you fish without beer?

Stewie
05-17-2012, 12:52 PM
ok i started this th:bad_boys_20:read...it so i will finish it.....a few beers it is.........but fish cops could give me a ticket......i wont get drunk or litter......

thanks

Happy

Its only $115... no big deal

VOYNO08
05-17-2012, 01:59 PM
pppppfffft beer and fishing go hand in hand i say your good man just keep your eyes pealed! or get a can wrapper there great! change any old beer into a coke or pepsi in just seconds.

Canehdianman
05-17-2012, 02:16 PM
I'll add that the officer has no right to search your boat unless he has reasonable and probable grounds for suspecting that you are drinking and boating (empty beer cans laying around, for example).

If they ask to search your boat (or even imply that they are going to), tell them to come back with a warrant.

thunderheart
05-17-2012, 02:58 PM

thanks

Happy

Soooo what they say at that useless waste of time course you took about beer and boats :sHa_sarcasticlol:

pophouseman
05-17-2012, 03:03 PM
How do you fish without beer?

I don't know.......... I have heard of it, but never witnessed it.....

happyfisher
05-17-2012, 03:18 PM
that stupid course says the same thing as all the other gov garbage....."give me all your money and dont do ANYTHING"

mooseknuckle
05-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Its only $115... no big deal

Agreed!! Wanna drink on my boat? Go ahead as long as everybody bucks up and pitches in for the fine. I have at least 1 $115 dollar beer every year.

Stewie
05-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Agreed!! Wanna drink on my boat? Go ahead as long as everybody bucks up and pitches in for the fine. I have at least 1 $115 dollar beer every year.

Ran into a couple nice Fish Cops last summer... they were in good moods and giving 2 for 1 deals on the tickets... 4 guys 2 tickets...

happyfisher
05-17-2012, 03:37 PM
so who gets the fine...??? the boat operator or the person drinking the beer? Ill pitch in.....lol

u get fined every year....most fish cops dont care too much from what i read....

:fighting0030:

thunderheart
05-17-2012, 03:41 PM
that stupid course says the same thing as all the other gov garbage....."give me all your money and dont do ANYTHING"

enjoy your beer friend ..lol and the fine should you get caught..its all good .. i have spent most my life working on the water and every summer a few folk die while drinking and boating including a ex brother-inlaw that got up to leave a pizz and fell over and drowned... was a sad day for the family, so for me i am dead against it. in bc it was the same fine as drinking driving .. but thats just my penny and a half :thinking-006:

happyfisher
05-17-2012, 03:44 PM
i dont plan on getting wasted....just happy.....he he

Stewie
05-17-2012, 03:45 PM
If your hammered drunk they arent going to be so nice... the OP asked about "a" beer... not a Keg...

I 100% against guys getting hammered and ripping around on a boat or seadoo...

But if a guy wants to have a one or two I dont see the problem