PDA

View Full Version : New Sheep Hunter

jhyatt01
05-08-2012, 12:32 PM
It's been my lifelong dream to be able to hunt bighorn sheep, however now that I have moved to Alberta and found a hunting buddy, I now have the chance to be able to.

That being said, I don't really have any clue where to start in regards to sheep hunting. I would like to find an area within 3.5 hours of Calgary that I can hunt sheep without having to draw a tag. Is there an area that I can? I have looked through the regulations but find them confusing about where I can hunt without a draw.

As well, what kind of terrain am I going to need to be hunting in? Will I need a quad to get access to areas that are going to be lower pressure? Any other information that anyone can help with would be great.

Thanks.

rottie
05-08-2012, 12:51 PM
If you can get there by quad so can others,hike in further and hunt the roughest areas that no one else wants to tackle and you will be well on your way. Good boots and a comfortable pack will be a real basic start to your gear.

Buy the best optics you can afford,spend your time glassing/hiking. Most of all have fun and enjoy the scenery,it cant be beat

BackPackHunter
05-08-2012, 06:06 PM
do a search on the hunting forum, sheep , big horn , ram... backpacking gear,
read everything you can... theres lots of places to get a gen tag 3.5 hr from calgary... start training now.... start going to the places and start looking for them. no one will give you a range or basin to start... so get out and start looking,
buy a good pack, and good boots. and better optics

learn how to judge 4/5 curl and full curl... this is very importation

alpineguy
05-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Buy some tickets on the Willmore Drop Camp raffle and win. I can fill you in on what I know on the wagon ride in!!LOL

BackPackHunter
05-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Take Kens advise, buy some tickets, get to see some sheep country, plus you don't have to walk in, support a good cause, its a win win for a rookie ram hunter. As a rookie you will need to save all the energy you can, to make it up the mtns day in and day out.
$25 a ticket. 1 in 400 odds, buy 200 and its still cheeper then a guide :sHa_shakeshout:

albertabighorn
05-08-2012, 09:33 PM
A sheep hunt usually involves horses to pack you in and a 7 to 10 day backpack hunt a quad will get you no where in sheep hunting. Maybe try and fimd a sheep hunter who needs a pack buddy to carry his hear and you can learn how its done.

albertabighorn
05-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Also x2 on the regulations of sheep hunting, 4/5, full ect..

ishootbambi
05-08-2012, 10:04 PM
some guys think a quad will get you nowhere in sheep hunting.....but other guys know better.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv27/ksteed17/ramintherv.jpg[/IMG]

this guy took a quad in to the mountains, climbed one and killed a sheep.

mine wasnt that big, but i walked in to the mountains in a day and killed one the next morning. tell you what....im gonna make your day. check your pm box and ill give you a tip on a good place to start looking.

albertabighorn
05-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Its more about the adventure of sheep hunting like it was done by Our forefathers. Done both types and no comparison to the two types of sheep hunting. Also it feels good when hard work pays off but some guys dont value that!

albertabighorn
05-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Looks like a cadomin ram by the way, def not a wilmore.

cochranenite
05-08-2012, 10:26 PM
I have been wanting to get into sheep hunting i think i just need someone to help me with judging the curls,and teaching me the "ropes" I have never thought about asking if anyone needs a pack buddy, thats a good idea albertabighorn.

CN

ishootbambi
05-08-2012, 10:29 PM
read closer.....that sheep isnt mine and no it wasnt from cadomin. mine came from the wilmore and fell 23 km from where we left the truck. i can tell you i worked plenty getting in there and getting that sheep out. sorry it didnt take 10 plus days, but i put plenty of value in it. you realize that a whole bunch of guys posted sheep last fall taken on day trips right? im pretty sure they would say the same.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/ishootbambi/P1011241.jpg

rottie
05-08-2012, 10:33 PM
A sheep hunt usually involves horses to pack you in and a 7 to 10 day backpack hunt a quad will get you no where in sheep hunting. Maybe try and fimd a sheep hunter who needs a pack buddy to carry his hear and you can learn how its done.

My partner and I both took our rams on short backpacking trips,no horses,just feet. Definatly not a long hunt at all,get to know the country and shorter trips as time allows can pay off.

I think we earned them as much as any horse hunters do

albertabighorn
05-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Day trips are fine and dandy didnt say they wernt read closer! Ur a troll isb go troll elsewhere get a life man! Also the horses just help you pack in ur base camp and you spike from there just a way lotsa guys do it. Of course if all you can do is a day trip then do it you wont get one on a couch. Thats my advice CN.

ishootbambi
05-08-2012, 10:53 PM
im a troll? http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m581/isb11/lmao.gif your post history shows a ton of negativity. look at the last dozen or so and see for yourself. maybe offer some help instead of looking down your nose. i sent the guy a pm with the name of a mountain that holds rams pretty regular. hopefully it works out for him.

albertabighorn
05-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Lol ya maybe just read the above over again and see what you post. Also its good you pm"d him its not a compition isb. Its ok for you to help others and you dont have to post look at me i helped someone. You character shines through everytime!

jhyatt01
05-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Thanks for all the help guys, I will do some more reading into it and will get out to get in shape for climbing mountains. Any little help you guys give is great, just trying to understand more of what we will having to be doing.

BackPackHunter
05-09-2012, 06:54 PM
some guys think a quad will get you nowhere in sheep hunting.....but other guys know better.

this guy took a quad in to the mountains, climbed one and killed a sheep.

mine wasnt that big, but i walked in to the mountains in a day and killed one the next morning. tell you what....im gonna make your day. check your pm box and ill give you a tip on a good place to start looking.

guess I was wrong, someone did give you a very good starting point
good on ya ISB, we need more help and less nativity on here

jhyatt01
05-10-2012, 12:58 PM
In august and early september would sheep be mostly on southern slopes or would they still be spread out? And what kind of elevation would you expect them at this time?

Arn?Narn.
05-10-2012, 01:10 PM
guess I was wrong, someone did give you a very good starting point
good on ya ISB, we need more help and less nativity on here

X2
I also like keeping religion out of it...

BackPackHunter
05-10-2012, 05:28 PM
X2
I also like keeping religion out of it...

i agree ...

In august and early september would sheep be mostly on southern slopes or would they still be spread out? And what kind of elevation would you expect them at this time?

As far as I know, there is no set elevation, no side with more chances then the other, Ram are were you find them, and they blend in very well, thats why everyone says you need good optics, you can use lower quality optics, but after hours looking threw them you will get head aches and eye strain ...

Nothing will help more then getting out there and testing your gear and spotting, seeing what works and what don't.

Buy your self a food scale, it will help lighten your pack

Ratchety
05-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Well, the first thing that you need to do is go get some really good quality rubber boots... ones that go up to the knee. After that you will need to find some good velcro gloves, once your gear is secured, you can go to any park and with your sexiest call, yell out here sheepy sheepy sheepy!

BackPackHunter
05-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Well, the first thing that you need to do is go get some really good quality rubber boots... ones that go up to the knee. After that you will need to find some good velcro gloves, once your gear is secured, you can go to any park and with your sexiest call, yell out here sheepy sheepy sheepy!

I made that joke on the.... Where Are You Sheep Hunting This Year
no one thought it was funny... Think its played out

Ratchety
05-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Hmm, maybe played out but I simply chime in for my own fun.
HOWEVER, I SEE THAT GREAT MINDS DO THINK ALIKE!
Take care.

jhyatt01
05-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Ok thanks guys, and I used to attempt the "here moosey moosey moosey" while moose hunting at home... it only worked once, and by worked i mean i had about 10 hunters come in for the call.