PDA

View Full Version : Creeks around peppers lake

jryley
05-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Fellas. For the past two years i have been bugging the fish
Gurus on here for tips on stream trout fishing for a
Greenhorn.

Me and a couple buddies do an annual survivorman style backpacking trip every july and the goal is to supplement or replace dried food with fresh caught fish.....but the past couple years ive had very limited luck catching any stream trout. We park our vehicle at peppers lake, and start hiking southwest from the back end of peppers lake. Now, all we use is spinning tackle.

My question is, is it a safe assumption there are fish in every creek we come to? And furthermore, how should i be fishing these fast moving
Creeks with spinning tackle? Last year on a day hike i
Did find a beaver dammed part of what i beleive was the elk creek. The pool that formed on the upstream side of the damn looked to be about 8 feet deep and obviously the current was next to none. Are these the kind of areas i should be targeting with spinning tackle? And if pools like that are harder to find, how the hell do i get some success with spinning
Tackle on the stream in general???

Any help is appreciated!

Trackdays
05-08-2012, 04:09 PM
My suggestion is learn to fly fish, you will have much better results. You can also pack a 4 piece fly rod very very easy. With a bit of practice you will be catching fish. I do not think you will be succesfull fishing small creeks with spinning gear. I cannot give you any information whether or not there are fish in the creeks you are speaking of as I am not familiar with them.

clouserminnow
05-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Elk Creek is an entirely catch and release fishery so please refer to your regs and the Clearwater contains bull trout so I would not keep any of those as there is 0 lmit on them in Alberta aswell. The beaver dam you saw was on Peppers Creek and it has brookies and a few bulls make sure you know the difference before eating them to "survive". Just a few pointers......