PDA

View Full Version : I am New to Fly fishing Any tips???

e40water12
05-08-2012, 06:57 PM
I decided to buy a fly Rods try something new. Ive been practicing in the back yard with fly rod I seem to be getting comfortable with short wrist archs. Just wondering what are popular flies to use in Alberta lakes and rivers? And helpful tips would be great to hear from as well.

Thanks in advance.

fish&fry04
05-08-2012, 07:09 PM
I am in my second year of trying the fly rod, still not very successful at it, there is an art to reading the water for fly fishing a river. Are you river or lake fishing? I find the hatch charts for the Bow River helpful, then literally googling images of the flies so I know what they are talking about. But don't go hog wild buying a suitcase of flies... Dry fly, streamers, nymphing, wet line, dry line, roll cast, spey cast, back cast, and the knotts alone are enough to make your head explode. I suggest doing a lot of online research and looking up some you tube vids, and taking a course.

Casting is an art alone, I struggled with my cast, - cannot seem to get it out more than 25', a guide taught me how to cast from a boat, and now I can cast well (from a boat anyway).

Good luck!

bugslinger22
05-08-2012, 07:11 PM
check out http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/video-lessons The whole site is amazingly informative! Good luck!

Sundancefisher
05-08-2012, 07:47 PM
I decided to buy a fly Rods try something new. Ive been practicing in the back yard with fly rod I seem to be getting comfortable with short wrist archs. Just wondering what are popular flies to use in Alberta lakes and rivers? And helpful tips would be great to hear from as well.

Thanks in advance.

Don't try fishing dry chironomid patterns right away...they will drive you insane

pikergolf
05-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Lefty Kreh on youtube for casting.

Lornce
05-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Just spend a lot of time with a fly rod in your hand and get to know your local waters.

NUK SOO KOW
05-08-2012, 08:07 PM
YouTube has a ton of great videos on casting, don't hesitate to ask for some pointers if you run into someone out fishing, it would even be worth taking a lesson if your having trouble. X2 on the lefty kreigh videos.

fishstix
05-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Just spend a lot of time with a fly rod in your hand and get to know your local waters.
Its true. Just head on out to the river and start fishing. You can watch a few videos, figure out the basics, get the new lingo down, but nothihg will be as benificial to learning to cast as being on the water.

e40water12
05-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Awesome thank you for the positive feed back guys greatly appreciated.

hairygrump
05-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Spend a bit of money and attend a course. There's tons of them. Just make sure you get some time on the water and its not just casting. Get a copy of flyfishing western trout streams, the trout highway, and a couple of backroads map books and pick a few places to fish. Scour these forums to see what flys are working on different waters. Assemble a small collection then get out there and fish. It won't take too long to key in on a few waters that produce fish and start honing your techniques.
Ickyflyworks has a couple of grab packs that will get you started with some basic fly patterns that will work almost everywhere.

fish gunner
05-09-2012, 12:02 AM
for casting, practice on the water.practice practice. when you get to your chosen water. sit and watch the pool /run. you can learn more in 30 min observing than you may in a day of fishing because you are not as focused on what is happening around you. on a good day you can set you watch on the rise of a certain fish. fly fishing is an endeavor of humility. nowadays every body wants instant reward. get a guide get some lessons . lack of sacrifice for knowledge. I am not saying these things are bad but how did us old boys learn .... by our selves. when I started fly fishing in kitimat there was one other that I knew of, his advice, dont break your wrist. learn good knots. hope that helps. tight lines.

Red Bullets
05-09-2012, 12:58 AM
Just wondering what are popular flies to use in Alberta lakes and rivers? And helpful tips would be great to hear from as well.

Thanks in advance.

My tips:
1) To find out what is the best fly to use, when you drive to an area you want to fish, check the radiator front in your vehicle. It will have the insects that are in season and their colors. Match the bugs and colors.

2) Watch your ears. Twice I have had people come up to me and ask for help removing a fly from their ears. Watch the backstroke.

3) In Alberta's bigger rivers use bigger flies and streamers.

Okotokian
05-09-2012, 01:03 AM
Convice your wife that it's a great stress reducer that will add years to your life and is well worth the stupid amounts of money and time you are going to spend on it.