PDA

View Full Version : What am i doing wrong?!? Nsr help

NSR Monger
05-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Ok, so this year has been ok but not the greatest on the NSR. So far I've only caught 3 suckers, 2 mooneye and 1 whitefish. Couple questions!! Last year I only caught one saugeye and NO WALLEYE! (only started fishing around october last year, caught lots of fish but not walleye) I've been told to use a lindy rig with minnows or worms or a p-rig with the same bait. The P-rig keeps landing me suckers and mooneye but no walleye? gonna try the lindy rig if i make it out today. Some advice on this would be appreciated! Also, theres this spot that when I throw a p-rig out with some worms I have caught a moon or sucker in the first 5 minutes then nothing else for hours, this has happened 3 times this year already!! think its gonna be a great day then nothing else! the mooners keep stealing the worms but no more bites! Advice please!!! Anyone heading to the river today?

ddddd05
05-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Sounds like you are doing everything right, maybe you should just try another spot. 3 fish is a good day on the NSR. Try to find deep water.

I used to fish the river with spoons and catch the ocassional pike or goldeye. I tried the lindy rig but never had any sucess with it. I think there is a technique to it.

Finally I tried the pickeral rig with worms and caught way more fish than before. Pretty boring way of fishing, but I think pickeral rigs with worms or minnows is the only way to go for fishing the NSR.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Rikkles Fisher
05-09-2012, 12:39 PM
I rarely use pickerel rigs but I also don't start catching lots of fish on the river till mid june, I think it's alot easier to use bait in this murky water but you wait all those jigs and spoons and spinners will work wonders once the water clears up!

NSRfishing
05-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Try drifting some bait slip thinger

Nickote316
05-09-2012, 01:31 PM
I usually cast and retrive when I fish the river. For the spots I go to spoons will land me goldeye and sometimes walleye. I almost always use a grub with some weight added to my li ne so I can cast farther. Always catch walleye with that setup

YeeHaw
05-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Going tonight, If the wife and weather will let me. Thinking Hearmitage for sucker and burbot, or to the mouth of the sturgeon for walleye.

tonypower
05-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Ok, so this year has been ok but not the greatest on the NSR. So far I've only caught 3 suckers, 2 mooneye and 1 whitefish. Couple questions!! Last year I only caught one saugeye and NO WALLEYE! (only started fishing around october last year, caught lots of fish but not walleye) I've been told to use a lindy rig with minnows or worms or a p-rig with the same bait. The P-rig keeps landing me suckers and mooneye but no walleye? gonna try the lindy rig if i make it out today. Some advice on this would be appreciated! Also, theres this spot that when I throw a p-rig out with some worms I have caught a moon or sucker in the first 5 minutes then nothing else for hours, this has happened 3 times this year already!! think its gonna be a great day then nothing else! the mooners keep stealing the worms but no more bites! Advice please!!! Anyone heading to the river today?

Try using a minnow on the top hook and worm on the bottom. If you get bites on the minnows switch it up to both hooks minnows. And vice versa. If you are catching mostly suckers you line is probably not tight enough, your bait is laying on the bottom of the river. also dont cast too far. I use a 1oz weight and if the river is pulling it down your too far out.

Jasonp
05-09-2012, 03:51 PM
BGSH and myself have figured out the walleye in the river prettty well. So well that we aerage 10 fish a night on most days. One day ill put a post up and see if someone wants to tag along, won't be for a bit as I'm more into fly fishing for pike and trout right now.

cranky
05-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Nothing personal but i dont still fishing either. Dont like P-Rigs etc. I like feeling the fish hit to much for that, and being able to entice Wally to strike after they pick at it a little bit first. Without that i wouldnt fish i guess. Im not interested in catching the other type of fish like Suckers or Sturgeon, Goldeye etc..
In another post i mentioned that all ive been catching this year in the NSR is Wally's n Saugers. Normally i get more Pike. Havnt even caught a Pike this year yet. Strange.
Anyway i use jigs. All colors. If i get no luck after 15/20 mins. i switch to another color till i find something they want. Works for me.
I dont give up after a hour like someone here was saying they do either. I havnt gone home skunked from NSR for a very long time even if i do say so myself.
There's never anyone around where i fish, just the way i like it. Not interested in company. Its not a common spot i guess. Solitude while fishing is good for me. And no im not giving my little spot up but look for deeper water(pools) closer to bends and places that have structure like downed trees, logs, rocks etc.
Hang in there it'll happen. Just drag jig very slowly along the bottom. Jigs are great cause your going to lose some and there cheap to replace.
Just my nickel's worth,cause pennies are a goner soon.

PS. The first year i fished NSR i didnt do so good at the start. You'll get the
hang if it the more you go.