PDA

View Full Version : Jasper May 21st

Thundercatcher
05-09-2012, 08:29 PM
I will be in the town of Jasper on the 21st. Anything lakes or rivers that will be open then? I have no clue about the lakes there.

BGSH
05-09-2012, 08:31 PM
I will be in the town of Jasper on the 21st. Anything lakes or rivers that will be open then? I have no clue about the lakes there.

Give Jasper parks a call and ask them :)

Tel : 780-852-6176
Trail Office: 780-852-6177

hairygrump
05-09-2012, 09:08 PM
the Athabasca is open from Sunwapta Falls down to 12 mile bridge. Maligne is open below the canyon. Pyramid, Moab, and Beaver Lakes open May 19th.

Thundercatcher
05-09-2012, 09:12 PM
cool! Do you think Pyramid would have ice off then?

hairygrump
05-09-2012, 09:16 PM
It might. I was up there over Easter and things were starting to thaw out. Phone the guys at Online Sport and Tackle. They'll be able to tell you for sure.

Thundercatcher
05-09-2012, 09:33 PM
cool! has anyone fished that lake before? I would be fishing from shore.

g_trout
05-10-2012, 08:03 AM
Here is a link to the fishing regs.
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/visit/visit14a.aspx

I was there a couple weeks ago. Talbot was ice free and pyramid had a lot of rotten ice with only a couple feet around shore open. It has been really warm there since so I would expect things to be different now.

I am heading there this weekend to do some river fishing and then taking the kids up on the May long weekend. Our plan is to hit Talbot and Pyramid. I will report back on Monday with ice conditions.

One interesting thing to note is that you can keep two rainbows from the Athabasca. I shouldn't be surprised that the feds and Prov didn't talk but I am.

McLeod
05-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Here is a link to the fishing regs.
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/visit/visit14a.aspx

I was there a couple weeks ago. Talbot was ice free and pyramid had a lot of rotten ice with only a couple feet around shore open. It has been really warm there since so I would expect things to be different now.

I am heading there this weekend to do some river fishing and then taking the kids up on the May long weekend. Our plan is to hit Talbot and Pyramid. I will report back on Monday with ice conditions.

One interesting thing to note is that you can keep two rainbows from the Athabasca. I shouldn't be surprised that the feds and Prov didn't talk but I am.

Below the falls those rainbows have alot of non athabee in them..

Bhflyfisher
05-10-2012, 09:17 AM
If you're a fly fisher, moab is a good bet. Sometimes it can be a fish a cast, but they are all small. You can rent boats from online sports and source for sports.

From shore though, talbot would be the better bet then pyramid.

Big Bull
05-12-2012, 09:59 AM
cool! Do you think Pyramid would have ice off then?

Was at Pyramid Lake last night, and the ice is completely gone!

doublehaul
05-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the update Big Bull. Is there a boat launch at Moab? What are the chances that there is some ice off at Maligne?

g_trout
05-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Did some camping and fishing this weekend.

Pyramid was iced over almost completely two weeks ago and now completely clear. Looking forward to fishing there this weekend with the kids.

We also went to Maligne. There is no open water.

I think a trip to Moab would be fun in the near future too.

Thundercatcher
05-14-2012, 08:40 PM
Anyone know what you can keep from there?

McLeod
05-15-2012, 09:11 AM
You can keep 2 fish for the day.. What ever combination you want from Moab,
Maligne or Pyramid.. I strongly suggest you read the Parks regs ..online or get a copy when you get your license as there are some regulatations that are very differant from Alberta's regs outside the park..use of lead restirctions, Barbed hooks are allowed in Banff, Jasper.. ECT

HopperDropper
05-15-2012, 03:33 PM
no boat launch at Moab, if you have a light rig you can haul it down 1 km to the lake. Pyramid would be better than Talbot, IMO, for the scenery and the fact you're not next to the Hwy. Talbot is pike fishing, whereas Pyramid is trout. Online Sport has boats for rent at Pyramid too, I believe. Pyramid is also nice and close to town. Looking forward to the season!

McLeod
05-16-2012, 08:29 AM
no boat launch at Moab, if you have a light rig you can haul it down 1 km to the lake. Pyramid would be better than Talbot, IMO, for the scenery and the fact you're not next to the Hwy. Talbot is pike fishing, whereas Pyramid is trout. Online Sport has boats for rent at Pyramid too, I believe. Pyramid is also nice and close to town. Looking forward to the season!

you can rent boats at moab..

g_trout
05-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Get the regulations. There are some key differences from the Alberta regs. Kids can fish under your license but the keeper limit is for the license.

The daily limit is also the possession limit.

So me and two kids go out for a couple days fishing and we got one license. If we catch two pike on day one then there is no more fishing on day one. If we don't eat all of one fish then we can't go fishing on day two unless the girl buys an additional license.

Thundercatcher
05-16-2012, 06:29 PM
so did I read the regulation right for Pyramid lake. You can't only use barbless hooks and you can't use ones pinched down. They must be made barbless. where do I get those?

pickrel pat
05-16-2012, 06:55 PM
so did I read the regulation right for Pyramid lake. You can't only use barbless hooks and you can't use ones pinched down. They must be made barbless. where do I get those?

they CAN be barbed.

SonnyJ
05-16-2012, 07:03 PM
they CAN be barbed.

That's right,Alberta fishing regs don't apply to the National parks.

Barbed hooks are allowed in Jasper.

If anyone doubts this then you can call the Jasper Wardens office at 780 852 6156

Dak1138
05-17-2012, 05:55 AM
Try fishing the Athabasca across the highway from Mile 9 lake.There is a very quiet bay or lagoon there right beside the highway that had tons of pike the last time I was there.