PDA

View Full Version : Whitecourt small game hunting ?

Canoe Athabasca
05-10-2012, 03:46 AM
Hi I am from Austria. I plan a tour on the athabasca river with my canoe from Whitecourt to Athabasca in JUNE. I will take a fishing license and I hurt about a small game hunting license. Is there something to hunt in June? And is it possible to hunt with a bow for an non resident alien hunter? Thanks for helping!

Stumpslayer
05-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Google My Wild Alberta , there is a link with hunting regulations and requirments. There are some species that do not require a licence however the "non resident alien" part of this equasion may change that for you. Enjoy your canoe trip, its a big river, lots of jet boats that time of year, also of note the rainbow trout in the Athabasca River are now a catch and release species to preserve this native Alberta species.

Canoe Athabasca
05-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Thank you "My Wild Alberta" is very informative. Also the website "albertaregulations.ca".
But I could not find, unfortunately, shot times. Which animals can I shoot in June?
Also it is very unclear what kind of animals I can hunt with the bow without guidance.
Based on the assumption that I will cross "Northern Boreal (510 511) with the canoe. Please can someone help me?

leeaspell
05-10-2012, 09:26 AM
Rabbits are year round. Lots of them around.

bearbait
05-10-2012, 09:31 AM
as a non res alien you wont be able to shoot anything..small game is not really a season..if your leaving from whitecourt you will start in 507 and the river is a boarder for zones farther down stream..

on a side note this is a big river with dangerous currents so do your research and watch for obsticals while your out there..

its a great float from what i hear enjoy the trip!!
rob

Canoe Athabasca
05-11-2012, 02:50 AM
I took the tour for 12 days time. and because meat and sausage not keep as long as I wanted my diet with fish and maybe a rabbit or a duck. while I lift the bow and aneineangel thought. Fishing is clear to me, but if the hunt with will not work. please excuse my weak English

calgarychef
05-11-2012, 03:05 AM
You'll love that trip, I did. The only small game available is rabbits, ducks aren't in season, beavers and muskrats need a trapping liscence. I didn't see any rabbits at all on my trip but then I guess I wasn't looking for them. You should be able to keep yourself fed with fish, but just in case bring some other food too!

Canoe Athabasca
05-11-2012, 03:23 AM
Have another birds season.

Lefty-Canuck
05-11-2012, 07:33 AM
Have another birds season.

Nope no other birds are in season that time of year.

LC

Canoe Athabasca
05-11-2012, 08:42 AM
thanks for helping