PDA

View Full Version : elk hunting

RJN
05-10-2012, 08:43 PM
hey guys im new on here, so bear with me . im looking to do some scouting for elk this summer in a genral bull wmu . not looking for anybody to give away there secret spot, just looking for a push in the right direction where a guy would have a good chance finding some elk on crown land .

p.s i dont mind getting way back in

RJN
05-10-2012, 10:20 PM
i should also mention i live in central ab but would not mind making a few weekend trips so anywhere in alberta would work.

shakeyleg02
05-11-2012, 10:59 AM
i cant help you yp that way but welcome to the forum anyways

scrapper
05-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Grand Prairie area start knocking on doors

diamond k
05-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Go west of little smokey or south of Debolt. All I can say here for risk of being black listed.

RJN
05-11-2012, 07:59 PM
ok thanks guys that acutley helps alot i will have to put on some miles this summer.

duffy4
05-12-2012, 07:56 AM
I would bet money that you are going to get an elk this fall.

Because you have started preparing right now and are planning to do a lot of scouting before the hunting season.

I have a great book on elk hunting in Alberta and the author continually emphasizes that "Scout, scout, scout and prepare and on opening morning you should be walking into your spot in the morning listening to bugling bulls." And that is you best chance to kill a bull. Day two, three and four your chances are diminishing.

I'll PM you with a few hints of areas to look at out west of Rocky.

roykd14
05-13-2012, 07:21 AM
I would bet money that you are going to get an elk this fall.

Because you have started preparing right now and are planning to do a lot of scouting before the hunting season.

I have a great book on elk hunting in Alberta and the author continually emphasizes that "Scout, scout, scout and prepare and on opening morning you should be walking into your spot in the morning listening to bugling bulls." And that is you best chance to kill a bull. Day two, three and four your chances are diminishing.

I'll PM you with a few hints of areas to look at out west of Rocky.

What is the name of the book if you dont mind saying? Im from Ontario and moved out here in Jan. Just trying to learn more about that animal and the province I am now hunting

Cheers

duffy4
05-13-2012, 07:32 AM
What is the name of the book if you dont mind saying? Im from Ontario and moved out here in Jan. Just trying to learn more about that animal and the province I am now hunting

Cheers

The book is "The Urban Elk Hunter" by Mark Hastings. (I believe Mark moved out here from Ontario and became an elkoholic)

He works a "shift job" and when into scouting mode he would get up early and drive c couple hundred kms to listen for bugling elk and scout, then drive back home in time for his afternoon shift.

His philosophy is that the hunt really takes place before the season opens and then on opening morning you are not hunting to find an elk but hunting to get into position to kill one you have already located.

A rifle hunter at first, he figured the best possible chance to take an elk was on opening day and as Archery opens sooner he took up the bow to increase his chances.

He did the book himself and only had a small run printed. I have suggested he have another run printed as I think there is a demand for a locally written book like his.

roykd14
05-13-2012, 08:31 AM
ya i could understand why people become elkoholics. Everything about that animal is intriguing and thats only from what ive seen or read. Last year was the first year Ontario had an elk hunt. There were only 7 tags avaliable for our area and to boot the MNR lead a hunter to where the elk were to document the first ever elk hunt. So being posted out here with the military, Im loving the chances of getting out in Alberta. Gonna have to do some crown land hunting or achery due to no priority but man anything to hunt.