PDA

View Full Version : Waders for a guy who doesn't wade?

Geezle
05-10-2012, 10:49 PM
I don't typically do a lot of wading in my fishing travels, but I've found need for a set of waders for accessing certain spots. Also, I'm hoping to get out to the Pembina with Sausagemaster at some point this summer and he tells me I'll need a set there.

I wanted to try a spot today and was in a hurry so I grabbed a cheap $70 pair from CT. They did the trick but I was wearing jeans underneath and my mobility was pretty limited. Also, the top of the boot rubbed my calf raw on a very short walk.

So given that I won't be using them *that* often, what should I look for in a pair of (budget friendly) waders? A pair with the boot incorporated is a must - I don't want to mess around with special wading boots since most of the time I'll only wear them to my destination and then take them off anyway. I also need something reasonably durable as there may be a little bit of whacking through the bush with them on.

NUK SOO KOW
05-10-2012, 11:00 PM
I have a set of compac from wss. They are 110$ boot incorporated. I use them for pike fly fishing in sloughs and pheasant hunting. Two years and no Problems. They are thick and haves been quite durable for me. Not the most comfortable boots out there but do the trick and no blisters thus far.

npauls
05-10-2012, 11:02 PM
I would stick the the ones you have and where a pair of long socks and tuck your jeans into them so that your jeans won't rise up and the boots rub on your calves anymore. Also if you just wear some sweats or something under them it will be quite a bit more comfortable.

The ones you have should do the trick if you aren't wearing them very often.

If I can afford to get the new ones I am looking at I will figure out a way to get you my back up pair that I have now. You will need to get some sort of all shoes or boots that you can use for wading but they are light weight and will do the trick.

Scott N
05-11-2012, 03:56 AM
If you are going to buy new waders, in my opinion you should reconsider your thoughts on waders with boots. Stocking foot waders with proper fitting wading boots / shoes are far more popular for a reason. You'll find the better fit more comfortable, and they aren't as inconvenient to put on as you might think. I guess it all depends on your budget, but if you can afford both waders and boots / shoes, I think this is the way to go.

ALBTUFF
05-11-2012, 07:06 AM
You should never wear jeans under your waders. I like UA long under wear for the hot days and a pair of fleece pants for the colder ones. After wearing waders for many many years, I find you get what you pay for. Buy a pair of waders for under $100 and you'll get nothing but problems. Remember if you pay a decent price for a pair of waders and look after them they should last a very long time. My first pair of waders were cheepies from ct, I got 6 months out of the 1st pair and about a year out of the second pair. Then I dropped $350 on a pair of hodgenmans and got a little under 8 years with them. Well worth the money and the fit was unbelievable.

C.Noble
05-11-2012, 07:32 AM
What about those waders from ct that are regular 199? I was curious about waders for this year as well

falroy
05-11-2012, 07:33 AM
I just use a pair of cheap stocking foot waders i got from Walmart in kalispell for $80. For the first couple years I just used a pair of old shoes with them which worked fine. I since have upgraded to felt bottom wading boots, but if you are not using them that often I wouldn't bother with wading boots until you feel they are worth the investment. I have had those cheap waders for 4 years now with no issues.

Lefty-Canuck
05-11-2012, 07:40 AM
My first pair of waders was a bet of "Bushlife" neoprene....they lasted a good 6-8 years. I think I paid around $89.00 and then I bought a decent set of wading boots for around $60.00

I wear jeans under my waders all the time and always have.

I wrap and then tuck my pantleg into my socks...pull em up as high as they go and then put on the waders. Early season I use neoprene with a sock foot and wading boots.

I just bought some breathables at TFH sale this spring and look forward to the warm days this summer.

LC

Geezle
05-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Thanks for all the replies folks :)

I know that jeans aren't the best thing to be wearing under the waders, but in a situation like today heading out randomly after work, the jeans were all I had. Tucking the jeans into my socks would likely help a lot.

Either way I think I need a different pair, maybe a bit larger. I found that when I tried to step up on to a high bank the waders got too tight and I wasn't able to lift my leg up as high as I needed.

Geezle
05-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Do any of these look decent?

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=26531
These seem to have a couple different sizes aside from just the boot sizes

http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&section=1823&section2=1948&ID=27263
These ones have a 'tall' option

http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&section=1823&section2=1948&ID=21364
And these I'm just not sure about. Judging by the inseam measurement they *should* work?

Darren57
05-11-2012, 10:47 AM
I have a cheeper set of neoprean from CT. They seem to leek a tiny bit sometimes but neoprean is still warm even while wet. I am thinking i will probably get a better set but the cheep ones have been great for whearing in the little aluminum boat as rain/overspray gear on colder days. Any waves higher than 6'' = lots of overspray at the top spead (only about 35km/h) in my cheep little boat. Me and a buddy headed out on quite a windy day on Newell last year when most guys in thier fancy bigger boats were getting out. Never a moment of getting cold or uncomfortable. Even in the little 14' aluminum with the 15hp Johnson with waves over up to 1.5'+. Turned out to be a great day of fishing. Whearing them in a boat might be a sure way to get a hole in them so having a cheep set that u dont care too much about can be a good thing too.

I did see three different kinds hanging on the wall at Wholesale Sports in Cal in the $150-$170 range last week.

Hope that helps.

MathewsArcher
05-11-2012, 11:27 AM
The Three Forks Waders are an excellent buy, have used hem for years working in the fisheries field and know several consulting companies that supply these to their staff. Exteremely durable and good for several years. Often on sale as well if you watch the Cabelas site.

Not as nice as a good set of breathables or neoprenes for late season, but for occasional use they are built well. Inseam is excellent as well offering good mobility compared to many other brands.

FisherGrrrl
05-11-2012, 11:55 AM
The ones with rubber boots attached can be heavy if your planning on carrying them around. I would spend a little more on the waders and go to walmart for a 30$ pair of hiking shoes. I used my walmart boots for 3 years (since upgraded) but hiking wise and comfort wise it worked great, and when you want to take them off throw your waders in your pack, tie the shoe laces together tossed over your shoulder and your set.

You may find yourself wearing your waders a lot more then you thought with a comfortable shoe.

Geezle
05-11-2012, 08:06 PM
The ones with rubber boots attached can be heavy if your planning on carrying them around. I would spend a little more on the waders and go to walmart for a 30$ pair of hiking shoes. I used my walmart boots for 3 years (since upgraded) but hiking wise and comfort wise it worked great, and when you want to take them off throw your waders in your pack, tie the shoe laces together tossed over your shoulder and your set.

You may find yourself wearing your waders a lot more then you thought with a comfortable shoe.
Well put, you sold me on stocking foot waders! The reason I wanted a better pair is that I figured if I had a pair that I didn't hate I'd use them more.

I went to see the folks at TFH after work and picked up a pair of Redington waders. I can't believe how light these things compared to the cheap CT ones, even disregarding the boot! Plus I'm able to move much more comfortably to get where I need to go :)

Then I hit the Wal and grabbed a cheap pair of shoes (couldn't find hikers that would fit) and hit the river. At least I managed to find some shoes with a real luggy sole, but they're slip ons so no laces to go over the shoulder. Most of my river fishing is with a specific purpose that requires a little extra gear, so I've always got a backpack with me to toss them in. :)

You and Scott should come out and play sometime :cool:

BGSH
05-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Well put, you sold me on stocking foot waders! The reason I wanted a better pair is that I figured if I had a pair that I didn't hate I'd use them more.

I went to see the folks at TFH after work and picked up a pair of Redington waders. I can't believe how light these things compared to the cheap CT ones, even disregarding the boot! Plus I'm able to move much more comfortably to get where I need to go :)

Then I hit the Wal and grabbed a cheap pair of shoes (couldn't find hikers that would fit) and hit the river. At least I managed to find some shoes with a real luggy sole, but they're slip ons so no laces to go over the shoulder. Most of my river fishing is with a specific purpose that requires a little extra gear, so I've always got a backpack with me to toss them in. :)

u will definitely need waders lol:)

FisherGrrrl
05-12-2012, 03:06 AM

Good choice on the redingtons :). you can also purchase some ankle/gravel guards that will stop gravel and stuff getting into your shoe.. might prolong your stocking life (depending on the shoe). and as for coming out??? I have a feeling there will be a lot of that this summer:).. hopefully scott can give himself a break from work one of these days :P

Geezle
05-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Good choice on the redingtons :). you can also purchase some ankle/gravel guards that will stop gravel and stuff getting into your shoe.. might prolong your stocking life (depending on the shoe). and as for coming out??? I have a feeling there will be a lot of that this summer:).. hopefully scott can give himself a break from work one of these days :P

I don't see them on TFH's website but the waders I got have a built in gravel guard. I might return the shoes though and try to find some hikers...I lost a shoe in the much last night and had to stop and fish it out :sHa_sarcasticlol:

And I'll do my best to start hassling Scott to come out and play sometime soon :cool:

horsetrader
05-12-2012, 11:06 AM
I don't see them on TFH's website but the waders I got have a built in gravel guard. I might return the shoes though and try to find some hikers...I lost a shoe in the much last night and had to stop and fish it out :sHa_sarcasticlol:

And I'll do my best to start hassling Scott to come out and play sometime soon :cool:

hahahah laces are real handy my wadders have hooks on guard that holds guards down and shoes on ...lolololol

Willowtrail
05-12-2012, 11:45 AM
I heard this Scott guy is busy on day 27. Rumor has it he'll be terrorizing Lac Ste Anne next weekend in his secret walleye hole, well he has shared it with a few members. And there just so happens to be a free spot in his boat.

caver77
05-12-2012, 12:57 PM
I ran some of the older can tire ones and had similar issues, and on the old ones the boots would get really hard when it got the least little bit cold which was a little treacherous at times. I ended up wearing polar fleece pants underneath them to alleviate the chaffing discomfort. I later got Cabelas's ones. The cabela's ones are more gortex style and have been pretty good for me even though them seem kind of thin/flimsy. I run a pair of wet suit boots over top of them(cheaper than dedicated wader boots) to save the neoprene socks.

Xiph0id
05-12-2012, 01:28 PM
I bought some reddington breathable waders and a lower end pair of chota boots.
They are like wearing anyday pants and shoes vs the clumsy cheap plastic ones from CT.
250$ vs 90$ you can walk so much further and and get sore from the boots and they are darn comfy

FisherGrrrl
05-12-2012, 01:39 PM
I heard this Scott guy is busy on day 27. Rumor has it he'll be terrorizing Lac Ste Anne next weekend in his secret walleye hole, well he has shared it with a few members. And there just so happens to be a free spot in his boat.

this scott guy sounds lazy :P lol jk

Rumtan
05-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Had quite a visit with Willowtrail today.......we decided that Fishing Lac St Anne is over rated and we should start thinking about Lac Sante for better results.

AppleJax
05-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Thanks for all the replies folks :)

I know that jeans aren't the best thing to be wearing under the waders, but in a situation like today heading out randomly after work, the jeans were all I had. Tucking the jeans into my socks would likely help a lot.

Either way I think I need a different pair, maybe a bit larger. I found that when I tried to step up on to a high bank the waders got too tight and I wasn't able to lift my leg up as high as I needed.

I usually take my jeans off and use hip waders in my underwear. But be carefull your fishing buddies might look at you funny after:)

Lefty-Canuck
05-12-2012, 06:07 PM
I usually take my jeans off and use hip waders in my underwear. But be carefull your fishing buddies might look at you funny after:)

LMAO.....as long as you are wearing "tighty whitey's" you are safe .....NOT!

LC

Alberta Bigbore
05-12-2012, 06:31 PM
SausageMaster needs waders for the pembina as he is afraid to get wet.

thorne
05-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Well.....Bear would just strip down wander aimlessnin the cold muddy thorn bush invested shores in his birthday suit, then rub some sticks together to make fire get dried off redress and get fishing.....all in front of his 25 person field support team.....come on Geeze.....man up yo!

Geezle
05-12-2012, 09:30 PM

Duely noted :test: