PDA

View Full Version : Best fly line.

trigger7mm
05-11-2012, 10:45 PM
What's the best fly line for fishing stillwaters, mostly from shore. Would you suggest floating, sink tip, or sinking line? Thanks for the advise. Have a good weekend.

biggamehunter
05-11-2012, 10:46 PM
i like rio indicator others will say rio gold

biggamehunter
05-11-2012, 10:47 PM
I would suggest floating line, or if you need to get down deep, intermediate.

pipercub17
05-11-2012, 10:50 PM
RIO gold !

uplander
05-12-2012, 12:28 AM
depends on the lake if its relatively shallow 1-14ft deep go dry line (rio gold is good) if it's deeper then that I'd get a full sink line.

Bhflyfisher
05-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Gold is a great all round line. I just recently got an indicator line about 2 months ago. Love it, definitely took the place of my golds, at least for the fishing i do.

tacklerunner
05-12-2012, 08:58 AM
I would suggest floating line, or if you need to get down deep, intermediate.

depends on the lake if its relatively shallow 1-14ft deep go dry line (rio gold is good) if it's deeper then that I'd get a full sink line.

X2. Should have a floating line for fishing dries and the slowest full sink you can find for get down for a natural presentation. Something that sinks 1" - 2" per second. Clear or Camo line is great for this application too. I use this:

Type: Intermediate Full Sinking
Brand Name:
Intermediate Cortland-Camo 444
Sink Rate - 1.25-1.75 ips

http://www.flyfishingstillwaters.com/lines.asp

kritofr
05-12-2012, 09:16 AM
I like the Airflo 40+ for my lake fishing with a floating line.

For sinking lines I go with intermediate sink, a type III and a heavy sink like a Type VI, however I use a floating line 70% of the time

Doc
05-12-2012, 10:46 AM
What's the best fly line for fishing stillwaters, mostly from shore. Would you suggest floating, sink tip, or sinking line? Thanks for the advise. Have a good weekend.

A floating line is the most versatile. Adding weighted flies and long leaders will get you deeper if need be. Hanging flies under an indicator works incredibly well for static presentations.

Floating Lines & Stillwaters (http://www.flyfishingtechniques.co/fly-fishing-techniques-for-trout/2011/03/fly-fishing-floating-lines-stillwaters/)

ReconWilly
05-12-2012, 01:39 PM
I echo the statements of rio gold being a phenomenal all around line, i recently invested in some rio lake CamoLux clear Camo,a full intermediate sink tip line with a 1.5-2ips sink time, made with an ultra stealthy camo color scheme that is extremely effective for super wary fish.

Disclaimer: My ongoing injury has prohibited me from testing the CamoLux as of yet, however i can say it comes highly recommended by a very trusted source, looks great, same rio quality you'd expect, i actually might try it for chucking streamers in flowing water from time to time on top of its intended lake use, i'll will post a detailed review as soon as my health permits.

Anyone else familiar with the RIO CamoLux?

Darren N
05-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Gold is a great all round line. I just recently got an indicator line about 2 months ago. Love it, definitely took the place of my golds, at least for the fishing i do.

What made you change? Why do you like the incdicator better than gold? I never tried indicator before and was curious.

Lambo
05-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Sage = Rio Gold (same line/manufacturer but Sage is $30 less, just different name on box according to Ian at BPS). This is my first fly line so I don't know much about it but my fly fishing instructor was impressed by it when he casted it this morning on the Bow.

FisherGrrrl
05-13-2012, 12:30 AM
I use the rio indicator line as well. Its designed to assist in tossing indicators out and helps with mending the line.. its got a thicker tip which I think also helps with the cast (specially for a beginner fly fisher) the bright pink tip can also act as an indicator as well.. not to mention the way it looks on the reel with the green then white then pink colouring... its pretty :)

FisherGrrrl
05-13-2012, 12:42 AM
However I think Gold is great too, both are good so depends what you want and what kind of fishing you like. If you cant make up your mind then Gold is your all around good floating line so you cant really go wrong with it.

Bhflyfisher
05-13-2012, 12:45 AM
What made you change? Why do you like the incdicator better than gold? I never tried indicator before and was curious.

64 foot long head, compared the gold thats in the mid 40's. It is easily the best line i have ever owned. I do a ton of nymphing on the bow and chironomid fishing on lakes, and the taper and length of the head on the indicator line allows for great mending and roll casting. I Honestly could go on and on. I love this line.

tight line
05-13-2012, 08:55 AM
x2 on Rio Ind. ... aslo run cortland rocket taper on my light rod, but prob not best bang for your buck!...lol