PDA

View Full Version : Abu Black Max or Daiwa Strikeforce?

Cal
05-12-2012, 02:48 PM
I have a couple decent casting rods kicking around without reels on them. I've been getting out of the casting stuff for the most part but I was down at Crappy Tire today and noticed they had some reels on sale so I'm playing with the idea of getting another casting reel. They had the Black Max on sale for about $50 and the Strikeforce on clearance for around $30. Wondering if anyone has use either of these reels and could reccomend one over the other, or are they both crap?

horsetrader
05-12-2012, 02:53 PM
I have a couple decent casting rods kicking around without reels on them. I've been getting out of the casting stuff for the most part but I was down at Crappy Tire today and noticed they had some reels on sale so I'm playing with the idea of getting another casting reel. They had the Black Max on sale for about $50 and the Strikeforce on clearance for around $30. Wondering if anyone has use either of these reels and could reccomend one over the other, or are they both crap?

I got 3 black max 1 old 2 new great reels

gl2
05-12-2012, 03:04 PM
I my opinion if you are going to spend 50 bucks on a reel then you must be prepared for 50 quality. I demand a lot out of my gear, some goes from summer to winter and back to summer with out cleanings or hot sauce. If you are on a tight budget i would probably save up and get a quality piece of gear. If you do decide to get a better piece of gear then i can give a good review on the quantum exo, maybe the best reel i have bought in the past couple years. But i have never used either of these reels so maybe you will get lucky but i have my doubts.

On a side note i bought a shimano Callisto bait caster and its the biggest piece of crap i have ever fished, drag isn't smooth and it turns like a old chevy on its last leg. but that doesnt mean i think all shimano is junk. i have a couple sustains and they are awesome.

Cal
05-12-2012, 03:14 PM
I my opinion if you are going to spend 50 bucks on a reel then you must be prepared for 50 quality. I demand a lot out of my gear, some goes from summer to winter and back to summer with out cleanings or hot sauce. If you are on a tight budget i would probably save up and get a quality piece of gear. If you do decide to get a better piece of gear then i can give a good review on the quantum exo, maybe the best reel i have bought in the past couple years. But i have never used either of these reels so maybe you will get lucky but i have my doubts.

On a side note i bought a shimano Callisto bait caster and its the biggest piece of crap i have ever fished, drag isn't smooth and it turns like a old chevy on its last leg. but that doesnt mean i think all shimano is junk. i have a couple sustains and they are awesome.

Yep, have a couple of reels of this type of quality, thats where the decent rods came from. Not interested in owning more of them either so your advice is probably good. Not on a tight budget just dont want to spend any real money on more baitcasting stuff. Just thinking about trying to get some use out of a few spare rods without spending much.

bobalong
05-12-2012, 03:33 PM
I have a Black Max as well, been using it on and off for about 3 years now, still working good.

Willowtrail
05-12-2012, 04:39 PM
The easiest solution is BOTH. Then you'll never be wrong.

Cal
05-12-2012, 05:18 PM
The easiest solution is BOTH. Then you'll never be wrong.

Unless I end up giving them both away in two years, much like the baitcasters that came off the rods that these ones would be going on.

Geezle
05-12-2012, 07:47 PM
I know a couple guys that are running Black Max reels and they really like them :)

Willowtrail
05-12-2012, 08:53 PM
I know a couple guys that are running Black Max reels and they really like them :)

I have one all set up to hit the river Geezle. If only my boss would let me not work so darn much and join you. I need to test it out.

npauls
05-12-2012, 09:02 PM
I have been using a black max for a couple years for bottom bouncing and have never had a problem. I Plan on getting another one for another bouncing rod in the near future.

sureshot
05-12-2012, 09:13 PM
I also have the black max and love it.

Andy

Geezle
05-12-2012, 09:29 PM
I have one all set up to hit the river Geezle. If only my boss would let me not work so darn much and join you. I need to test it out.

Whenever you have the time just say the word man :cool:

Cal
05-13-2012, 01:28 PM
what kind of a lifespan are you guys getting out of them