PDA

View Full Version : Terrible luck fishing at Keho ...

scruffy
05-13-2012, 06:59 AM
:mad0030: Yo ! Every year I spend about 5 days at the very beginning of the season fishing for pike at Keho. Did 4 days last week and the fishing was beyond slow ... Caught two pike and had an additional strike in four days !!! ???? Where I was on opening day there must have been 30 anglers ... all seemed to be doing poorly. I was back the next day and until about 11:00 p.m. I was all alone .. and then some dude from Calgary showed up ... What might be so different than the last three years ??? I know that the ice came off much earlier ???? Help ... from all you fishing gurus, please ..:)

tight line
05-13-2012, 09:53 AM
try Really big...or small...like BIG spoons & Jigs...or small walleye jigs. might give you a better idea what the pike are eating. how big of line you got on? try triline 8lb ultra smooth, very thin yet strong, landed 15 pound fish on it. Pike can be pretty finicky this time of year as they are post spawn. try early june.

TROLLER
05-13-2012, 10:13 AM
:mad0030: Yo ! Every year I spend about 5 days at the very beginning of the season fishing for pike at Keho. Did 4 days last week and the fishing was beyond slow ... Caught two pike and had an additional strike in four days !!! ???? Where I was on opening day there must have been 30 anglers ... all seemed to be doing poorly. I was back the next day and until about 11:00 p.m. I was all alone .. and then some dude from Calgary showed up ... What might be so different than the last three years ??? I know that the ice came off much earlier ???? Help ... from all you fishing gurus, please ..:)

1st off maybe the spawn at Keho was a little later this year, and the other thing is water temp.

Caught a few male walleye on the weekend that were still full of milk so that indicates a spawn is still going on.

Seems in the spring the bite does not really get going till the temp gets up around 53.

NUK SOO KOW
05-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Hammered 11 on opening day, no.4 five of diamonds, all sizes, biggest nearly 20 pounds, many more bites and 1 line break

climid
05-13-2012, 11:45 AM
I was there too, didnt get a single bite but lost many spoons

scruffy
05-13-2012, 04:07 PM
I always use a smelt and a bobber ... on Friday about a dozen folks were there ... as near as we could see only one small pike was pulled in. (I stayed all morning ... my buddy stayed until about 4:00 p.m.) I shall try again in the new week ... The longer one tries the more likely the luck will change ...

gramps73
05-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Just cause they were still milking does not mean they are still spawning, i have caught fish in mid July still milking I have fished 3 bodies of water this season and imo the spawn is over...

npauls
05-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Just cause they were still milking does not mean they are still spawning, i have caught fish in mid July still milking I have fished 3 bodies of water this season and imo the spawn is over...

I was thinking the same thing. The 3 places I have been on all seemed like post spawn but one of the fish we cleaned that I thought for sure was a legal male was a female with eggs still in her so I am not to sure what to think.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-14-2012, 10:07 AM
I was thinking the same thing. The 3 places I have been on all seemed like post spawn but one of the fish we cleaned that I thought for sure was a legal male was a female with eggs still in her so I am not to sure what to think.

Yeah that's right , but man them males you grab em a little to low they wee squirting toddler seeds everywhere .

omega50
05-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Fished Clear yesterday off the dock.Five of us and my wife was the only one catching all day. She brought 6 to the net , but with a 100cm minimum I think that it will be awhile before there is a keeper at that lake.
We all were within a foot of each other( with her sitting in the middle chair) straight down in about 8- 9ft of water with smelts and slip bobbers. Only difference with her set-up was the leader was black. No one else even got a nudge over the six hours we were there.

scruffy
05-14-2012, 04:28 PM
I was back at Keho this morning ... and ended up with one wee pike-0 ... A couple of dudes from High River had no luck .. another couple further down seemed to also have no luck ... We did have one Freak show up and threw a stick into the lake (right where the one chap was fishing) ... for his dogs to retrieve ... That got a bit ugly with a lot of F Bombs being tossed around ... :mad0100: The strange dude finally loaded up his poor dogs and drove off in a rage - missed by none of his new acquaintances I suspect ... I am going back in the morning with my frying pan ... going to have a fish fry .... Might be frying salmon, however ... Ha! Ha! Cheers !!!

jrs
05-14-2012, 06:36 PM

If they werent flowing she likely wont spawn. Often if conditions don't work just right or habitat isn't optimal they will reabsorb instead of laying. It was a warm spring, they went early. I saw spawning activity early April by Lethbridge this year. There will be the occasional odd ball but its post spawn for sure.

scruffy
05-16-2012, 06:30 AM
Thanks for all the comments ... I went out for the 6th time yesterday ... Met Nuk who did so well on opening day. This guy certainly knows what he is doing. I managed to catch three yesterday ... my two buddies got one each. We did up a fish fry ( used Tilapia and let the pike-os live to fight another day) .. watched the goslings from afar ... and enjoyed the day ... time now for something new ... Big Louie is safe (from me) until next May ... :)

NUK SOO KOW
05-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Hey scruffy, ended up with about 15 hammer handles off the dam on the south side that day. They were all little guys. Fun none the less. Nice meeting you guys hope to run into you again!!

Lefty-Canuck
06-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Anyone been to Keho lately?

I am planning a day trip on Friday with a buddy and we are planning on fly fishing in wading depths.....any weed reports?

Thanks!

LC

chubbdarter
06-26-2012, 06:09 PM

I am planning a day trip on Friday with a buddy and we are planning on fly fishing in wading depths.....any weed reports?

Thanks!

LC

parts are like cheap choco milk, weeds are not topping yet at both berms. Some floating weeds due to wind

Lefty-Canuck
06-26-2012, 06:13 PM
parts are like cheap choco milk, weeds are not topping yet at both berms. Some floating weeds due to wind

Thanks Chubb.

I imagine the recent moisture has played a bit of havoc on water quality and levels in the Southern Res's

LC

chubbdarter
06-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Thanks Chubb.

I imagine the recent moisture has played a bit of havoc on water quality and levels in the Southern Res's

LC

wind keeps changing directions. cant make up its mind. lock your hat on sideways.......consolation is fishing has been very good

WayneChristie
06-26-2012, 06:54 PM

Thanks!

LC

maui wowie is ok, sens is pretty good, and the sativa smells like a dead skunk. :bad_boys_20:

Rabdo
06-26-2012, 07:22 PM
hahaha

Lefty-Canuck
06-26-2012, 07:30 PM
maui wowie is ok, sens is pretty good, and the sativa smells like a dead skunk. :bad_boys_20:

LMAO....I guess I was too generic

LC

chubbdarter
06-26-2012, 07:32 PM

|Hows the garden WC? ........lol

TyreeUM
06-26-2012, 08:03 PM
|Hows the garden WC? ........lol

I bet it is protected by rattlesnakes...

WayneChristie
06-26-2012, 08:06 PM
I bet it is protected by rattlesnakes...

guard in training
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/June%2024%202012/DSCF1153.jpg

C & C
06-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Been fishing Newell and RHR and the pike seem to be deep, I am trolling with large spoon or diver with at leat 1oz wt so 16ft plus. Bite seems to be heavy early at 6am and then again aroun 2-3pm and again closer to dusk. Nothing huge though but steady action