PDA

View Full Version : tying flies to your line...

FisherGrrrl
05-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Is there a difference in the way you tie your flies to your line that make for a more effective hook set?

Willowtrail
05-13-2012, 10:34 PM
I always tie the non slip loop knot. Wouldn't say it affects the hook set but does allow for a smoother action in the water. Use it for all types of fishing, fly, spin, casting and ice.

fish gunner
05-13-2012, 10:52 PM
improved cinch knot, since I could first tie a knot. I now on occasion use a palamr knot when fishing very light line. I not sure how much the knot affects a hook set.

Doc
05-13-2012, 11:16 PM
I always tie the non slip loop knot. Wouldn't say it affects the hook set but does allow for a smoother action in the water. Use it for all types of fishing, fly, spin, casting and ice.

X2 on the non-slip loop knot. Whether fishing moving or still waters, it gives your fly better movement as the leader does not cinch up to the eye of the fly and hinder it.

BeeGuy
05-13-2012, 11:41 PM
Is there a difference in the way you tie your flies to your line that make for a more effective hook set?

If I'm fishing for whities I tie the fly on so that the shaft of the hook is parallel with the surface of the water with the point of the hook is on top.

this helps position the hook so that it is set in the harder part of the whites mouth.

Kingfisher
05-14-2012, 12:45 AM
Here is a link to the animated knots. More knots than you ever thought possible.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

Rob

Lornce
05-14-2012, 09:11 AM
I love the Duncan knot, it allows the fly movement for a more natural presentation.

tacklerunner
05-14-2012, 09:51 AM
X2 on the non-slip loop knot. Whether fishing moving or still waters, it gives your fly better movement as the leader does not cinch up to the eye of the fly and hinder it.

X3. Rapala knot especially on nymphs for a more natural drift. Still use the improved clinch on most dries though.