PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Perch Management - Lake Sundance Netting

Sundancefisher
05-14-2012, 07:29 AM
Based upon the warmer weather I would like to pull the nets on Tuesday...assuming enough volunteers are keen to come out... The alternative day would be Thursday. Same location as always.

Time would be 6 pm main group...netting pulling jump start 5:30 to 5:45 pm.

If you wish to take a turn on the boat crew you need waders...otherwise...bonkers and a bucket.

All volunteers get first dibs on equally sharing the fish. If anyone has any problems or concerns come see me that day.

Warming water decreases dissolved oxygen levels and raises stress levels in trout causing mortality. Therefore as the water level warms you can not keep the traps in the water for as long without removing trout more frequently.

Depending how many perch are caught...it may be the last netting for the Spring. If we find a school of perch during the Summer, we may set again.

Cheers

Sun

retired2
05-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Which day and about what time ? Will help in any way I can as well as bonk a feed.

Sundancefisher
05-14-2012, 07:59 AM
Which day and about what time ? Will help in any way I can as well as bonk a feed.

Tuesday May 15, 2011 at 6 pm

snortwheez
05-14-2012, 09:10 AM
I'm still amazed you guys are not putting them in stores for sale or something to make alittle $ to help pay for costs...
Even have a HUGE perch fry at the end of the season "$10" a head?
Right now there going for $14.99lb here in Ontario

Sundancefisher
05-14-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm still amazed you guys are not putting them in stores for sale or something to make alittle $ to help pay for costs...
Even have a HUGE perch fry at the end of the season "$10" a head?
Right now there going for $14.99lb here in Ontario

I did think of that to offset our costs to manage them. However F&W could not find a processor to approve our sale. I was hoping initially to find an entrepreneur who would use their own equipment and labour to remove the perch at no cost to us.

As that did not happen...we spend 2 hours...and people can take their perch home.

Lake Erie filleted perch in Calgary last I checked was $15/lb here in Calgary.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Damn would of loved to of helped I'm only here south for few more hours I'm just waiting on. My boat at bass pro , then headed home . Set up my rods and such for tommorow .

snortwheez
05-14-2012, 10:09 AM
I did think of that to offset our costs to manage them. However F&W could not find a processor to approve our sale. I was hoping initially to find an entrepreneur who would use their own equipment and labour to remove the perch at no cost to us.

As that did not happen...we spend 2 hours...and people can take their perch home.

Lake Erie filleted perch in Calgary last I checked was $15/lb here in Calgary.
I can't believe they wouldn't approve, alittle coin or just burry them...
We got around charging for a fry before acouple times...:)
Once it wasn't the fish we were selling, it was the remainder of the meal. The fish was a bonus we threw in..
Another was DONATIONS WELCOME, and everyone handed over some coin...

finsnfeathers
05-14-2012, 02:42 PM
hmm, very tempting...I'd love to participate even once. I'm just not sure driving through calgary @ rushhour appeals.

BeeGuy
05-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Heavy K and myself will be there to pull nets, cull, and count.

ogre
05-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Count me in too, I'll try to be there for the early crew on the boat. :sHa_shakeshout:

Sundancefisher
05-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Count me in too, I'll try to be there for the early crew on the boat. :sHa_shakeshout:

Great!

It is looking like it will be a nice evening on the water!

ReconWilly
05-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Is this event occurring today as stated in the OP? If so i could probably make it, just got back from the hospital, and left my IV pump behind!! Finally fishing season begins for me, its been torture the last few weeks.:sHa_shakeshout:

wildwildwest
05-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Too bad I don't have time to make it but my wife will bring my daughter there.

Pikecrazed
05-15-2012, 02:46 PM
So we just show up and help right no need to be part af some group

Sundancefisher
05-15-2012, 02:58 PM
So we just show up and help right no need to be part af some group

yes it is going today...I will try and be there by 5:30 to start pulling the next once I get a min. of 4 of us.

If you want to take a shot in the boat seeing the net pulled...you should have waders on. The water is still cold. There still is some perch spawning going on.

It is an interesting project to see if you have not experienced it before.

Cheers

Sun

Pikecrazed
05-15-2012, 03:05 PM
I don't have waders but was thinking I could help with the bonking

Sundancefisher
05-15-2012, 04:02 PM
I don't have waders but was thinking I could help with the bonking

If you can wack with a stick...your hired.

BeeGuy
05-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Heavy K and I are heading down soon. Have waders, gloves and a hammer.

mwahahahaha

kmacisaac
05-15-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm tied up this evening with a bit of work Sundance, but keep me posted if you want a hand later this week for a second go at it. I'll try and keep an eye on this thread as well.

Pikecrazed
05-15-2012, 05:21 PM
I'm tied up this evening with a bit of work Sundance, but keep me posted if you want a hand later this week for a second go at it. I'll try and keep an eye on this thread as well.

Same here last min thing

Sundancefisher
05-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Perch report.

It was a beautiful evening to be on the water. The trout were jumping, bird chirping...but only 60 perch were caught. While a number were females and a few still not spawned it looks like the main flush of spawners is past. So as a result all the nets were pulled.

If we see a big enough school in the shallows this Summer we may set two nets over night to try and capture them.

In the meanwhile thanks to everyone for helping.

If you wanted to see what the nets looked like and what the netting operation entailed please check out the video.

I want to take some underwater video of the trap this Summer.

final total.

Week 1 - 1047 perch
Week 2 - 707 perch
Week 3 - 527 perch
Week 4 - 60 perch

Cheers

Sun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWettAsz22I

BeeGuy
05-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks for using my bands latest release in your video.

BG

trapshooter
05-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Nice video and catch, would have liked to come but to busy!

Sundancefisher
05-16-2012, 07:24 AM
Thanks for using my bands latest release in your video.

BG

LOL

I thought I recognized you in your music video.

You rock and fish and net. Great triple combination :sHa_shakeshout:

Sundancefisher
05-16-2012, 07:32 AM
Comparison of 2012 results versus 2009 results

final total.

Week 1 - 1047 perch
Week 2 - 707 perch
Week 3 - 527 perch
Week 4 - 60 perch

Total 2,341

Week 1 - 1628 perch
Week 2 - 4717 perch
Week 3 - 2541 perch
Week 4 - 4348 perch

Total 13,234

The question was asked...are we making a difference?

With the obvious decrease in numbers being caught and clear evidence that we now have bigger perch in the lakes, both perch number are down and perch sizes are up. My current guess (since I do not have time nor desire to do any statistical analysis) is that we are making a positive impact on the problem.

Cheers

Sun

Sundancefisher
05-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Nice video and catch, would have liked to come but to busy!

We will net again...you can bet on three things...taxes...death and reproducing perch in Lake Sundance.

I thought the video helps show what the trap looks like when deployed and how it passively captures fish.

That being said...if anyone has a purse seine...call me. :love0025: