PDA

View Full Version : Fly Rod for trout?

Iceman4
05-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Going to pick up a fly setup, but have never fly fished. Any recommendations for rod length/weight? Will be fishing mostly rainbows

Scott N
05-14-2012, 10:41 AM
It depends on the style of fishing you like to do. A 4wt is a nice light rod for dry flies, a 6wt would be a good choice for heavier flies like streamers or nymphing with splitshot, and a 5wt makes a nice compromise between the two. I think most rods are 9'.

Iceman4
05-14-2012, 10:59 AM
It depends on the style of fishing you like to do. A 4wt is a nice light rod for dry flies, a 6wt would be a good choice for heavier flies like streamers or nymphing with splitshot, and a 5wt makes a nice compromise between the two. I think most rods are 9'.

Thanks for the reply Scott! I'll be looking at a good all around rod, the 5wt sounds good. I'm brand new to fly fishing so I'll be trying out a bunch of stuff, versatility is good.

ryanheartssteelhead
05-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Go with a 6wt for your first rod. 8'6" - 9' in length

pikergolf
05-14-2012, 11:30 AM
Go with a 6wt for your first rod. 8'6" - 9' in length

X2 it will be a lot easier to learn to cast with, a 5wt gets knocked down by wind a lot easier than a 6wt.

NUK SOO KOW
05-14-2012, 11:30 AM
I think a 6 wt would be just fine, medium action, I can cast small dry flies easily with a 6 wt, but it's a little big for the smaller mountain streams. Its perfect for larger rivers and lakes. They are pretty well an all round rod but the 6 will be much better if you try streamers as well. And x2 much easier to battle a windy day with a 6wt!! I'm sure you will get addicted and end up with more than 1 rod down the line anyway! 5 or 6 wt is a great choice!

Iceman4
05-14-2012, 11:36 AM
This is great info guys, I really appreciate it!

Kingfisher
05-14-2012, 05:14 PM
For a good all round rod buy a 4 piece 6 weight. A 9 foot is pretty much standard. That is what I would say to go with.

Do yourself a favor and just get a combo at somewhere like The Fish'n Hole. You can get them for about $200. That includes the rod, reel, and line.

Good luck and tight lines,
Rob

BigA
05-14-2012, 09:28 PM
I bought a 5wt 9' rod myself recently to learn on. seems pretty good so far. Spent about $90 at wholesale sports on the rod.

scel
05-15-2012, 01:56 AM
Going to pick up a fly setup, but have never fly fished. Any recommendations for rod length/weight? Will be fishing mostly rainbows

When I first started I bought a 6wt 9' Tip Flex and a 5wt 9' mid-flex.

I spent about $400 on both set-ups.

At first, I found the 5wt mid flex easier to use, but as time progressed, I found the 6wt to be more useful in southern Alberta conditions (i.e. windy), especially on the Bow.

I admit that I find it a little challenging with short casts with teeny flies. But those opportunities are less than 10% of the fly fishing on the Bow.