PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing Line question

pophouseman
05-14-2012, 01:43 PM
I have never tried fly fishing, but a guy I work with brought me two fly reels and a rod and a bunch of fly's and told me to try it out. So I am going tonight to a goldeye pool in the NSR to take a shot at it.

My question is, he told me these items have not been used in at least 10 years, is the line going to be okay? One is floating line and one is sinking. Is being spooled for 10 years without use going to make fishing impossible. I tried unspooling some line and it pretty much kept the shape of the spool......

ryanheartssteelhead
05-14-2012, 01:47 PM
I have never tried fly fishing, but a guy I work with brought me two fly reels and a rod and a bunch of fly's and told me to try it out. So I am going tonight to a goldeye pool in the NSR to take a shot at it.

My question is, he told me these items have not been used in at least 10 years, is the line going to be okay? One is floating line and one is sinking. Is being spooled for 10 years without use going to make fishing impossible. I tried unspooling some line and it pretty much kept the shape of the spool......

If the line has been on the reel for a long time, it will keep memory.
Sometimes lines that old will recover and straighten out.
Take a close look at the lines and look for any stress marks and cracking.
Do the lines feel smooth.
Take the floating line out on the water and cast it. Does it sink?

boner54
05-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Strip all the fly line threw a wet rage in hot water and few times. Should help with the memory and also removes dirt etc

gilbertslake
05-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Should help with the memory and also removes dirt etc

wish someone could help me with these too. My wife says 'your memory is gone and your mind is always in the dirt' :sHa_sarcasticlol:

pophouseman
05-14-2012, 03:01 PM
turns out they are automatic fly fishing reels???? anyone ever use these?

Kingfisher
05-14-2012, 05:11 PM
WOW if they are auto reels they are old. Not that you can't use them. But I bet that line is way, way older than 10 years old.

But give them a try. Fill your kitchen sink with warm soapy water. Strip the line from one reel into the sink. Use lots of soap. Wash the line and then wipe it down. Reel it back onto the reel. You just never know if it was out of the sun for the life of it you may just be able to use it. I would bet though it will retain a lot of the memmory.

Good luck with your new addiction.

Rob

BigA
05-14-2012, 09:29 PM
wish someone could help me with these too. My wife says 'your memory is gone and your mind is always in the dirt' :sHa_sarcasticlol:

lol. my wife too!

pophouseman
05-15-2012, 08:26 AM
WOW if they are auto reels they are old. Not that you can't use them. But I bet that line is way, way older than 10 years old.

But give them a try. Fill your kitchen sink with warm soapy water. Strip the line from one reel into the sink. Use lots of soap. Wash the line and then wipe it down. Reel it back onto the reel. You just never know if it was out of the sun for the life of it you may just be able to use it. I would bet though it will retain a lot of the memmory.

Good luck with your new addiction.

Rob

After a little research, I am starting to think these auto reels are from the 70's........... seems like an interesting way to fly fish....im going to soak the line tonight

Flieguy
05-15-2012, 11:41 AM
If you are buying new line, try to find a dealer that carries airflo, LOVE THAT STUFF its high qualty and lasts way longer than $20 SA line