PDA

View Full Version : Obed Lake Yesterday

Speckle55
05-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Tim and I went to Obed for the morning till the wind came up he got a couple one small about 16 inches and a 4#10oz 22 incher .. i missed one small ...nice couple of hours:)
David

BobLoblaw
05-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Tim and I went to Obed for the morning till the wind came up he got a couple one small about 16 inches and a 4#10oz 22 incher .. i missed one small ...nice couple of hours:)
David

Nice trout; looks like it's head is several sizes too small for it's body, though.:)

fishinggeek
05-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Nice to see the lake is coming back from the last nasty winter. Nice work and nice looking brown. hope the numbers keep coming up, and i know were ill be next year.

BigA
05-14-2012, 09:24 PM
nice brownie. I hope to get to obed this year.

fishman
05-14-2012, 09:39 PM
David
Good catch looks like u r figuring out that hard lake ......not many catch fish out there ........good job

McLeod
05-15-2012, 09:08 AM
Ok here is my rant..... Nice fish by the way !

Several years ago on this forum.. and you can do the search.. Certain people went at great lengths arguing with us about this lake telling us that the lake was no longer going to be stocked with Browns because the waterlevel had dropped due to a dam breaking ect ect..Horse**** !
Those of us who have fished the lake and been around it for the last 35 years no for a fact it will never completely winter kill... There are springs that going into the lake... There has been awesome perch fishing there for the last several years... don't mind mentioning that because I am fine if people clean put all the perch.. There are some other secrets about the lake I will keep to myself... But the Browns are there and there are a few HUGE ones in there.. Long live OBED !

fishman
05-15-2012, 10:30 AM
mcleod well said

i havnt fished it since they started stocking millers with browns, but i seen bigg monsters never caught anything really big and never high numbers, except one area i use to fish caught alot more fish but never big fish there so would go there if all else failed.

ReconWilly
05-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Thats a healthy lookin brown, reminds of the Glenmore monsters.

Faststeel
05-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Why would you keep and kill a fish like that? You fellows are all bewildered about how poor most of the Alberta fishery is and like to lay blame on the SRD. I don't get it. FS

McLeod
05-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Why would you keep and kill a fish like that? You fellows are all bewildered about how poor most of the Alberta fishery is and like to lay blame on the SRD. I don't get it. FS

According to regulations made by SRD..You can kill up to 5 a day !

nekred
05-15-2012, 12:10 PM

Gaaaaaawd Another Self Righteous C and R Guy....
:argue2:

Suppose you feel we should catch and release deer too!

Hey I catch and release and I catch and keep and whatever you decide to do as long as it is legal...Fair enough...

In fact if people keep harping on catch and rlease my fish consumption rate will probably increase because I will have to eat one for them too!...

smitty9
05-15-2012, 12:13 PM

Faststeel;

Your point makes no sense, particularly if you are using Obed as an example. (1) The brown trout aren't native, nor are they wild. It is an artificial fishery. (2) It is lake whose biomass isn't being used efficiently because of the perch. (3) No natural reproduction. (4) The browns are, relatively speaking, difficult to catch.

If there is any lake that could be a poster child for catch and keep, it should be Obed. A rare chance to catch a trophy brown that would likely die of old age anyways. Let them keep the fish.

Folks, we have to have places like put and take fisheries, including trout, so that the meat crowd have places to go. Put it another way, I'd rather have an angler keep 5 brown trout from Obed, than one rainbow or grayling from Sundance creek or Mcleod river (and now, thankfully, it is illegal to harvest rainbows from ES3 flowing waters).

Smitty

bigfishen
05-15-2012, 01:18 PM

Why dont you go play C&R in your fish tank and stop bugging guys that are within the law. I think it might just be a case of jealousy and therefore you must cut him down.

McLeod
05-15-2012, 01:45 PM

Let's not be to hard on this individual. I think Smitty had an excellant summary of this particular lake so if one knew that then maybe faststeel's comment may have been differant.
There are other lakes howver could use some adjustments to their regs but again that is up to SRD and if they would prefer to keep regs as is and have those looking for big trout spend there money in Saskatchwan , BC and Manitoba then so be it.

Speckle55
05-17-2012, 12:16 AM
Its my buddy Tim(1992 Provincal Winner 10#2oz Brown Trout) who knows the lake .. here is some info on Obed Lake its on Quality Trout Fisheries in Alberta then go to post 1283 and 1284 to see some nice fish from only the Hinton Fish and Game records.. Obed is a nice lake:)

David
ps i didn't know how to post the post 1283 and 1284 as a tab

Speckle55
05-17-2012, 08:54 AM
Here is our records for Obed some nice Browns and Rainbows over the years:)

post 1283 and 1284
David

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=83830&highlight=Quality+trout+fisheries+Alberta&page=43

Daceminnow
05-17-2012, 09:33 PM
David

nice fish. is obed the lake that they used to put old broodstock into? thanks.

Dace

Speckle55
05-18-2012, 12:58 AM
nice fish. is obed the lake that they used to put old broodstock into? thanks.

Dace

Bio said no only trout ponds etc .. or maybe private ponds ;;;;)

SonnyJ
05-18-2012, 01:08 AM
David

Did you see a pot bellied guy in a blue and white boat anchored off the point?

If so that was me...lol:sHa_shakeshout:

btw...perch wern't there..

Bear00
05-18-2012, 01:13 AM
I used to limit out on perch easy in that lake. they were fun to catch. only ever caught 2 browns though and had to put in some serious time for them.

edsonfisherman
05-18-2012, 08:46 PM
what do you guys use to catch the browns in obed? Been there once in the fall but didn't see any fish.

Speckle55
05-19-2012, 08:28 AM
You can use most trout hooks:thinking-006: .. or fly fish them .just you should go fast and long line them.. if fly fishing rip your hook to induce the strike .they are a very fast fish so if they can see what you are using to much the will not strike.. hours = fish

They eat minnows so raps or big flys .. but presentation is key .. make them chase it or think its getting away there is no such thing as to fast as the lake has a speed limit. do lots of s turns to slowing and speeding up your lure.. and remember to long line them as the bigger ones are boat shy ..use your fish finder and stay in the zone you want we will run the 15 to 25 ft range but even so once in awhile we are into 12ft on corners if you touch bottom bring in and check as you may have weeds .. what does a lazy angler catch ? nothing he had weeds on !!! lmao.. the best time for Brown is in the early morning or late at night and into night or morning .. but like all fish if the Major feed is on then fish be more active..the number of hours you putin will be lots per fish ratio.. but hey thats fishing ..even the best get skunked lots but hey thats fishing right:)

Hope this will help

Food for Thought
David

Faststeel
05-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Why dont you go play C&R in your fish tank and stop bugging guys that are within the law. I think it might just be a case of jealousy and therefore you must cut him down.

I'm not cutting anyone down, I just asked a question. Why would you keep a fish like that? FS

Speckle55
05-19-2012, 08:00 PM
I'm not cutting anyone down, I just asked a question. Why would you keep a fish like that? FS
Do you eat Trout.. do you like smoked Trout.. do you like canned/pickled Trout.. because i do!!! any of those and any other way to eat Trout.. MMMMM good :sHa_shakeshout:

Alberta Bigbore
05-25-2012, 01:01 PM
awesome looking fish!

Red Bullets
07-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Nice brown. Some people think the next alberta record brown will come from Obed. Me too.

huffy
07-24-2014, 04:26 PM

9 hours on a boat one legal fish, delicious!:argue2:

Og Dumi
07-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Gaaaaaawd Another Self Righteous C and R Guy....
:argue2:

Suppose you feel we should catch and release deer too!

Hey I catch and release and I catch and keep and whatever you decide to do as long as it is legal...Fair enough...

In fact if people keep harping on catch and rlease my fish consumption rate will probably increase because I will have to eat one for them too!...

X2 agreed

bbauer
12-27-2014, 11:34 AM
The problem is that being legal does not make it right for the environment.
Government laws only get implemented post problems.
Example....to almost all lakes in Alberta...the fisheries only responds to no fish.
That is why the C and R policies are almost going across all lakes...they are being fished out and eaten to the point where there are none left except fish in the fish tanks.
In the past 30 years...fisheries has identified almost all Alberta lakes as going from lots to limited fish numbers due to overfishing....Most has been due to Catch and Kill, however, Catch and Release also have a fish mortality too...that is why fisheries is wanting people to go barbless. But so many catch and kill are against this. I have fished across many provinces and other countries. We have minimal government control on our lakes here in Alberta...and most of our fisheries are counting on people who fish being responsible to the health numbers of our lakes. Sadly, more government control will occur because people are not being proactive to our Alberta lakes health. Sadly the days of plenty of Catch and Kill are gone and this has occurred in my life time. I have witnessed our parents and grandparents quit fishing because it is no longer about the love of fishing...it is about their pocket book and there is no longer a Catch and Kill feast to be had or guaranteed when fishing. Unlike hunting, you can still save money and feed the family with a deer...not so any more with fishing. So from all this...we the fishing public...as always must take action before fish stocks are destroyed just because it is currently legal as our government never reacts before it is too late. I love to eat fish, but I love to fish more.

Talking moose
12-27-2014, 12:06 PM
Example....to almost all lakes in Alberta...the fisheries only responds to no fish.
That is why the C and R policies are almost going across all lakes...they are being fished out and eaten to the point where there are none left except fish in the fish tanks.
In the past 30 years...fisheries has identified almost all Alberta lakes as going from lots to limited fish numbers due to overfishing....Most has been due to Catch and Kill, however, Catch and Release also have a fish mortality too...that is why fisheries is wanting people to go barbless. But so many catch and kill are against this. I have fished across many provinces and other countries. We have minimal government control on our lakes here in Alberta...and most of our fisheries are counting on people who fish being responsible to the health numbers of our lakes. Sadly, more government control will occur because people are not being proactive to our Alberta lakes health. Sadly the days of plenty of Catch and Kill are gone and this has occurred in my life time. I have witnessed our parents and grandparents quit fishing because it is no longer about the love of fishing...it is about their pocket book and there is no longer a Catch and Kill feast to be had or guaranteed when fishing. Unlike hunting, you can still save money and feed the family with a deer...not so any more with fishing. So from all this...we the fishing public...as always must take action before fish stocks are destroyed just because it is currently legal as our government never reacts before it is too late. I love to eat fish, but I love to fish more.

That's nice.
You realize these fish are farmed and put in pothole lakes as a put and take system right?
I agree with you on our natural lakes though.... Put and take lakes I don't really care.
Welcome to the forum!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

58thecat
12-27-2014, 12:21 PM

Stocked lakes are different as mentioned in another post, one brush does not paint the same picture province wide but I see your point too pertaining to some lakes we need to catch our limit but limit our catch...seen that somewhere!:)

1bluZebec
06-30-2015, 11:26 PM
That's nice.
You realize these fish are farmed and put in pothole lakes as a put and take system right?
I agree with you on our natural lakes though.... Put and take lakes I don't really care.
Welcome to the forum!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

X2

Deep
07-01-2015, 09:51 PM
And why is anyone bothering with this OLD bloody post anyway.......

Fishslayer99
07-02-2015, 08:46 AM
Very nice fish Speckle...looks like a beautiful lake I have yet to make it up there but it is definitely on my list!