PDA

View Full Version : Can I run Snowmobile oil in an outboard?

Cal
05-14-2012, 09:41 PM
For some reason I have a bunch of snowmobile 2 stroke oil kicking around, which is odd because I dont own a snowmobile. Its going to take an awfull long time to use it all up in my ice auger so I was wondering if I could use it in my oil injection 2 stroke outboard or possibly mix in small amounts of it with the outboard oil?

mustard73
05-14-2012, 09:59 PM
I would run it.

leeaspell
05-14-2012, 10:46 PM
I have run it outboards, all the time, its half the price and it works in weed whacker and chain saw. It just smokes more than outboard 2 stroke oil. Mine were not injection though, pre mix. Still don't see how it would be bad

liar
05-14-2012, 10:51 PM
my outboards call for oil with " TW 3"

not sure what it all means but i would read the manual and make sure the oil meets all the specs for your outboard .

Tom Pullings
05-15-2012, 05:30 AM
tc-w3 stands for two stroke water cooled. It is designed to burn at lower temperatures and rpms that are seen in outboards and pollute the water a bit less when burned. You could probably run sled oil just fine but it may cause a bit more gumming up than you're used to. Probably won't notice a difference though.

great white whaler
05-15-2012, 06:39 AM
I've used clear 10 w30 engine oil before as mix ,no problems,only reason its coloured is so you no your gas as mix in it.

Rock Doctor
05-15-2012, 10:36 AM
You can use "Winter" 2 stroke oil in the summer, but don't use "Summer" 2 stroke oil in the winter (does that make sence?). True or not, a Dealer told me that Summer 2 stroke oil will thicken in the winter and not inject properly. I did it LOTS before I was told not to, never noticed any harmfull effects though.

RD