PDA

View Full Version : N.s.r fish species and fishing

BGSH
05-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Before you head out and enjoy yourself fishing the n.s.r you should first understand the fish species that are in the n.s.r system, after seeing two different parties keeping walleyes yesterday in this river system at a spot where it is catch and release people are obviously clueless, makes me wonder if people even knows what sturgeon is, read your regulations people they are put in place for a reason, even if you can keep fish in a spot that allows you to practice catch and release, it feels good to release fish and release fish safely, so bring your regulation booklet with you read it and know the different fish species on the river system before you head out, remember Alberta is barbless.

Enjoy

sureshot
05-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Well said Shaun.

Andy

Lefty-Canuck
05-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Good reminder!

Let the fishing games begin!!!

I am envious of everyone who can get out and enjoy opening day and the nice weather....I am off to Toronto for the week :(

Good news is I have next week off...

LC

NSR Monger
05-15-2012, 10:52 AM
yes i agree, even tho i had a problem identifying a couple fish, I took the time to ask and learn, the whitefish should have been obvious......spent time after this researching all the fish in the river, can identify the different sucker species now, and sureshot, dont know if you seen my last post on the hemitage issue, but in the end I agree and was wrong to bash ppl, do as you please.....

The Fisherman Guy
05-15-2012, 10:56 AM
You make some great points Shawn, EVERYONE must read the regulations.

Ignorance to the rules is no excuse!

Thanks for posting a reminder to those who need it, hopefully they heed it!

slivers86
05-15-2012, 11:56 AM
You make some great points Shawn, EVERYONE must read the regulations.

Ignorance to the rules is no excuse!

Thanks for posting a reminder to those who need it, hopefully they heed it!

x2389798520000

cranky
05-15-2012, 01:19 PM
And while there learning the species they also ought to learn to take the garbage out with them even if it aint there's. Most of the popular NSR spots seem to have a lot of garbage left behind even by some pretty well known people on here. Last time i observed this ,cant say for sure it was there garbage but they sure could have took some out with them anyway
Im not naming names you know who you are.

sureshot
05-15-2012, 01:22 PM
yes i agree, even tho i had a problem identifying a couple fish, I took the time to ask and learn, the whitefish should have been obvious......spent time after this researching all the fish in the river, can identify the different sucker species now, and sureshot, dont know if you seen my last post on the hemitage issue, but in the end I agree and was wrong to bash ppl, do as you please.....

It takes a big man to apologize. All is good.

Andy

Anthonydamore
05-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Seeing people keep walleye out of the NSR makes me very angry

AppleJax
05-15-2012, 03:35 PM
I wouldnt have hesitated to call Fish and Wildlife. Some people are ignorant. I hope they get Mercury poisoning:thinking-006:

college-fisherman
05-15-2012, 05:35 PM
Was this at the spot that I saw you guys yesterday afternoon? That is rediculious! I can't remember if I told you yesterday but last week at that same spot we found a dead walleye on the ground with the hook still in its mouth....... And people wonder why the fish populations struggle the way that they do.

Strikemaster
05-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Call Report a Poacher whenever you see any of this stuff.....its the only way some of these clowns will ever learn.
Report a Poacher # is on the back of your win card.

Thanks for bringing up the awareness Shawn!

RapStaff
05-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Why would anyone wanna eat a walleye out of the NSR.
"Burp" ........I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

crosbyfan123
05-15-2012, 07:46 PM
FYI if you report a poaching or similar incident and the suspect gets charged you recive a reward from the government. An fish cop told me and my friends that recently a guy kept an undersized pike at hermitage i believe and they caught and charged him and the guy that reported them got a $320 cheque in the mail.

Cheers.

Doc
05-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Just some food for thought. Don't ever be hesitant to call the RAP line for anything that is off. That dead walleye, call it in. Bait containers where bait is illegal? Call it in. What do you think would happen if ASRD started getting more calls about certain areas? They would start targeting those areas. Squeaky wheel gets the grease folks. I remember when myself and a few buddies drove down to Claresholm for the 1st Stream Watch meeting. The one thing the fish cops brought up was how few RAP calls they get every year. Would you believe that the year before, they received less than 4 calls for the entire Oldman River system and its tributaries? Even if a fish cop can't get to your call, it's recorded and all the info they get can help.

Alberta Bigbore
05-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Just some food for thought. Don't ever be hesitant to call the RAP line for anything that is off. That dead walleye, call it in. Bait containers where bait is illegal? Call it in. What do you think would happen if ASRD started getting more calls about certain areas? They would start targeting those areas. Squeaky wheel gets the grease folks. I remember when myself and a few buddies drove down to Claresholm for the 1st Stream Watch meeting. The one thing the fish cops brought up was how few RAP calls they get every year. Would you believe that the year before, they received less than 4 calls for the entire Oldman River system and its tributaries? Even if a fish cop can't get to your call, it's recorded and all the info they get can help.
this post wins best post of the day. Great post Doc!

waterninja
05-15-2012, 11:58 PM
And while there learning the species they also ought to learn to take the garbage out with them even if it aint there's. Most of the popular NSR spots seem to have a lot of garbage left behind even by some pretty well known people on here. Last time i observed this ,cant say for sure it was there garbage but they sure could have took some out with them anyway
Im not naming names you know who you are.
iv'e been fishing the nsr a lot at 7 different locations and the garbage situation has improved a lot. i always bring a bag for garbage and so do some of the other anglers. i don't mind picking up some litter here or there but at some of the heavy use locations (like hermitage) it's not just anglers causing the problem. i am never shy about reminding people to pick up after themselves. iv'e also noticed that a lot (not all) of teenagers drop litter without thinking about it.

BGSH
05-16-2012, 12:01 AM
It is a shame, even spots on the n.s.r that are not heavly fished you still see bait containers floating down stream :rolleye2: yes always call it in any illegal activity on any water system.

Anthonydamore
05-16-2012, 03:07 PM
FYI if you report a poaching or similar incident and the suspect gets charged you recive a reward from the government. An fish cop told me and my friends that recently a guy kept an undersized pike at hermitage i believe and they caught and charged him and the guy that reported them got a $320 cheque in the mail.

Cheers.

I've got R.A.P on speed dial

Kim473
05-17-2012, 04:57 AM
$250 fine for littering.