PDA

View Full Version : Boats chased off crawling valley

TROLLER
05-15-2012, 03:45 PM
YIKES

5 boats including mine had to say uncle today.

There was a bug hatch going on that had millions of the critters all over the lake today. Weather forcast called for wind but not a breath, nothing.

I hung in till noon and finally had to say uncle. To make matters worse no one was getting much luck this morn.

Oh well, I'll give er another go tomorrow just somewhere else.

Okotokian
05-15-2012, 04:00 PM
A hatch you say? Hatch of what? Fly fishing types could be getting pretty excited.

slivers86
05-15-2012, 04:01 PM
yea yea what he said :D

Sundancefisher
05-15-2012, 04:07 PM
why would the bugs chase boats off? that part I missed? Not mosquitoes. Not horse flies. Not no seeums, Not wasps.

I am with the fly fishing guys...I head to the when the bugs are hatching.

TROLLER
05-15-2012, 05:52 PM
There are bugs and then there are bugs. I love a good hatch but his was waaay beyond a cadis hatch or anything like that.

When you cannot keep them from your eye's nose mouth and ears as well as totally covering everything that is more than a hatch.

jeprli
05-15-2012, 06:15 PM
It was insane at CV, clouds of bugs, im guessing midges. My car is littered with dead bugs inside. Nothing rising for them except maybe pelicans. Saw a huge school of suckers in shallows, pelicans and cormorants had a feast.

Fisher_man#1
05-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Most likely midges or mayflies, they can hatch in such large numbers that they form thick collums that look like smoke when they mate over some lakes.

If they had sail like wings with long tails, then they were some type of mayfly.
If they looked similar to mosquitoes they were midges.

Cheers,

Dfish
05-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Yeah, they were midges. This hatch was going heavy already on Sunday. Took 2 hours to vacuum the boat out and wash all the crushed midges off the seats. Didn't see any rising fish but if you'd been out with a size 22 griffith's gnat, you'd have been able to match the hatch. Didn't matter if you were 20ft or 400ft from shore, they were in your face. Ate a few, there all the fish back, went and bbq'd steaks.

Cal
05-15-2012, 07:26 PM
There are bugs and then there are bugs. I love a good hatch but his was waaay beyond a cadis hatch or anything like that.

When you cannot keep them from your eye's nose mouth and ears as well as totally covering everything that is more than a hatch.

Saw this in Wabasca once, the white steeple on the catholic church turned black, not fun anymore at that point even though they didnt bite.

NUK SOO KOW
05-15-2012, 07:30 PM
They were bad at keho today but fortunately there Enough of a breeze to keep it bearable. Opening day was nuts with tha same bugs, insects don't bother me but when they are like blizzards it's a bit uncomfortable.

TROLLER
05-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Yeah, they were midges. This hatch was going heavy already on Sunday. Took 2 hours to vacuum the boat out and wash all the crushed midges off the seats. Didn't see any rising fish but if you'd been out with a size 22 griffith's gnat, you'd have been able to match the hatch. Didn't matter if you were 20ft or 400ft from shore, they were in your face. Ate a few, there all the fish back, went and bbq'd steaks.

X2 I spent well over an hour just washing the crused bugs off the seats, windows, sides you name it. I left the tarp off for the drive home to rid the boat of as many as possible. not fun.

TheBatman
05-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Was out there last weekend, there had to be thousands in my boat. Not counting the 1000 on my black hoodie. You tap the side of the boat and it was a cloud of the little buggers. This weekend I am going prepared, I have a bug mask lol. I might look like a tool, but my face will be bug free :) and happy fishing times.

It was slow for Wallies last weekend, but the Pike were biting

Jamie Black R/T
05-17-2012, 04:12 PM
went through this one day last spring up on slave....slightest breeze and it would push them away...but calm days can get downright unbearable.

gonna try a thermacell this year and see if it helps with them buggers.

Dfish
05-18-2012, 03:32 PM
What's a thermacell?