PDA

View Full Version : Do leaders scare pike?

trapshooter
05-15-2012, 11:02 PM
Getting geared up for this weekend, and was wondering when fishing swimbaits or rapalas for pike and you have say a 12" steel leader in front will it scare fish?

moosehunter3-0
05-15-2012, 11:24 PM
I don't get any less bites with a leader on than I do without one.

WayneChristie
05-16-2012, 07:09 AM
nope. I do prefer 50 pound flouorcarbon to wire now, it doesnt get kinked up after a few fish.

thorne
05-16-2012, 07:26 AM
I have mentioned this before, there is some pretty basic logic when people ask about big scary leaders......If the fish can't process the big sharp obvious hooks as being a bad thing, then some harmless little price of line or leader out in front of the bait sure isn't going to sound any alarms. Leaders or their material only become a serious factor if the leader material or construction adversely affects the desired presentation of the bait. So adjusting the type of leader may be nessecary depending on conditions. I use Titanium leaders due to the extremely small diameter, extremely high strength and kink resistance.

Geezle
05-16-2012, 08:33 AM
Like Wayne, I build my leaders out of 50lb fluorocarbon leader material, but I know some guys like to specifically use the silver metal leaders because they say the extra flash from the leader helps attract the pike.

Plus, having a leader is better than having a $12 lure be bitten off!

NUK SOO KOW
05-16-2012, 10:01 AM
I use a4 or 6" steel leader have never had a problem.

BGSH
05-16-2012, 10:04 AM
If you fish small jigs then yes i find the pike do not bite, that is why when fishing jigs i do not use a leader but when fishing spoons and other bigger lures then i use a leader all the time

Shepherd7
05-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Leaders don't harm a thing, except maybe jigging. Otherwise they are prefectly fine. As said above I only use Titanium leaders. They cost more but they don't kink and give you a mess if you get a fish that fights well. If you don't Lose them consistently (or your fishing buddy steals it) they are the way to go.

Jamie Black R/T
05-16-2012, 11:18 AM
No.

BGSH
05-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Leaders don't harm a thing, except maybe jigging. Otherwise they are prefectly fine. As said above I only use Titanium leaders. They cost more but they don't kink and give you a mess if you get a fish that fights well. If you don't Lose them consistently (or your fishing buddy steals it) they are the way to go.

I did many tests when jigging, for example yesterday put a leader on with a small jig 1-2 inches jig tail 2-3 inches cats it out with a leader a couple times and nothing, took the leader off cast in the same spot and first cast bam, second cast bam, but when fishing bigger lures, spoons use a leader because when you are reeling in your lure and when they fish strikes the force and reaction on the strike will get you bit off tons as to jigging you are jigging and they tend not to hit the jig as hard as they do a lure, you will still lose a couple jigs here and there, but when i am fishing lures i always use a leader now.

buckman
05-16-2012, 12:09 PM
If you are fishing in waters that have big(20lb+) pike then a longer leader is advisable.I use 18-24inch black steel for a good reason.I have had Pike inhale a lure past the leader and bite me off on more than one occasion when useing shorter ones.

The leader doesent seem to bother the fish in terms of the srike with lures,I dont think they have time to scrutinise a lure long enough.