PDA

View Full Version : Video "Suckers Don't Suck"

Fishhunter3
05-16-2012, 05:34 PM
We recently spent one night in Algonquin Park preparing our kayaks, camping gear and cameras for the upcoming season.

Before leaving we had a chance to do a couple of hours of fishing for Shorthead and Silver Redhorse Suckers. The following contains a few minutes of outtake video from the trip.

Thanks for watching and please Subscribe as we will be uploading full length videos weekly starting May 28th, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qgy8bh9iEE&feature=plcp

ogre
05-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Welcome to the forum :sHa_shakeshout:
Thank you for a very refreshing post on an under-appreciated fish.
The video is very good. Where did you get the attachment to stabilize the camera in the water?

WayneChristie
05-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Welcome to the forum :sHa_shakeshout:
Thank you for a very refreshing post on an under-appreciated fish.
The video is very good.

X2

Gust
05-16-2012, 09:46 PM
I was telling Dace's son the best way to use a rattlin rap and he caught a really good sized sucker IN THE MOUTH, so I suspect that they're quite stealthy out in the wilds. Vid wouldn't load for me, I'm sure it's neat if Wayne says so.

Fishhunter3
05-17-2012, 04:26 AM
Are you watching on something that doesn't support Flash Video?" You can watch it on "Anglersthree Multimedia" on YOUTUBE

We are heading back to Algonquin for 8 days leaving tomorrow morning. Hoping to have some polished video of walleye, channel cat and sucker fishing posted in 10 days or so. Assuming, of course, we survive the black fly hatch ..

Thanks for watching

kujo
05-17-2012, 06:36 AM
Great vid Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum :)

Pikecrazed
05-17-2012, 06:36 AM
Great video very cool the way you filmed it and it's very professional

Alberta Bigbore
05-17-2012, 08:33 AM
Great video!

Gust
05-17-2012, 01:17 PM
It loaded this time and I like both the quality and info but most of all giving this fish the kudos it deserves in manner like any fishing program,, pound for pound the fight with a sucker is always a heartstopper. We just need to banish the sucker part of the name in time for the next batch of fisherfolk. Sucker just has a bad all round conotation.

ReconWilly
05-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Very well done, such an under-appreciated group of fish, is it just me who sees the similarities between suckers and carp?
Looking forward to more quality vids, please keep posting them and welcome.

Sooner
05-17-2012, 02:11 PM
I can remember lots of times on Pinehurst and Faucett lake catching a sucker and thinking oh this is a nice walleye only to go DOH when the fish came into view. They were fun to catch although we werent targeting them.

Fishhunter3
05-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Our walleye season starts this Saturday and we'll be back in the Algonquin Park interior for a week to capture some of that action on video as well. Walleye and Channel Cats will be the stars of our next series of videos (with the occasional sucker cameo appearance) which should be posted shortly after our return.

Good fishing everyone and we'll be back on-line in a week.

the olds fisherman
05-17-2012, 09:45 PM
Very well done, such an under-appreciated group of fish, is it just me who sees the similarities between suckers and carp?
Looking forward to more quality vids, please keep posting them and welcome.

I must say this is a great vid with awesome shots. I do agree that suckers are a great fight. But to say they are a under-appreciated fish is not right.. suckers which are named appropraitly and carp help to devistate the other true sport fish populations. I dont think they all should die but i do believe they need their populations controlled... I did a trout trap with fish and feathers on the jumping pound creek in 1994 and the SUCKERS out numbered trout 67 to 1. dont get me wrong awesome video but garbage fish

Fishhunter3
06-01-2012, 03:21 PM

climid
06-01-2012, 04:03 PM
I must say this is a great vid with awesome shots. I do agree that suckers are a great fight. But to say they are a under-appreciated fish is not right.. suckers which are named appropraitly and carp help to devistate the other true sport fish populations. I dont think they all should die but i do believe they need their populations controlled... I did a trout trap with fish and feathers on the jumping pound creek in 1994 and the SUCKERS out numbered trout 67 to 1. dont get me wrong awesome video but garbage fish

but what is a "true sport fish", many people here agree these guys fight just as hard. the taste is debatable.

besides, some of our sport fish arent native, these guys are!. should we change the environment to encourage sport fish or natural fish. These fish also do not compete directly for food as suckers are bottomf eeders. Small suckers also help fatten up pike and walleye.

the olds fisherman
06-01-2012, 07:04 PM
but what is a "true sport fish", many people here agree these guys fight just as hard. the taste is debatable.

besides, some of our sport fish arent native, these guys are!. should we change the environment to encourage sport fish or natural fish. These fish also do not compete directly for food as suckers are bottomf eeders. Small suckers also help fatten up pike and walleye.

im not saying kill them all but the populations should be less than what they are.. and as for them not competeing for food that is silly. most trout can be easily taken on many nymps which is a main staple for suckers and i have believe it or not i have caught 3 suckers on dry flies..... and by SOME of our sport fish arent native from all i can tell it would only be the brown trout....