PDA

View Full Version : Downrigging?

Full Curl
03-26-2008, 08:37 PM
:confused: Anybody have any suggestions on what type of manual downrigger to take on a fly in? Any idea how heavy of a ball to slow troll to 80' or so? Any helpfull pointers also appreciated! Thanks.

Jar4500
03-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Take a scotty portible 3lb weight and smelt trolling rigs worked great at charols lake .

TreeGuy
03-26-2008, 10:09 PM
X2 on the Scotty.

We use them on Minewannka to 160'+. Bring wire though. We lost a couple of balls last year when it goes from 134' to 65' in about 15 yards! We beached, and found the perfectly sized/shaped rock and made it work (added 6 hours of trolling to our day!). Good luck!

Tree

pipes
03-27-2008, 09:14 AM
Well, I'm going to go against the trend and say Cannon. We have both the Scotty and the Cannon we use for our fly-in trips.
The Cannon has a large diameter spool and a larger hand crank which makes rigging up and down much easier. I also believe you can get a bit more wire on there, but I could be wrong.
Also, the Cannon is made completely of high strength plastic, which appears to be less durable than the Scotty, but in fact we found it to be unbelievably strong. I prefer using a 5 lb ball.
We have had 3 Scotty's and 2 of them broke the plastic end piece which holds the end shieve and we were only using 3lb balls. Had too many problems with them.
As Tree mentioned, bring extra wire and a couple of extra release clips.
Both downriggers tuck away nicely in your bag and are not that heavy. They are definitely the way to go for getting lakers.
I could probably ramble on about this for hours.

Full Curl
03-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Want to keep the weight down for the fly-in so I don't really want 10-15lbs of my weight to be lead balls. But I guess if you lost one and the lakers were deep that would suck! How about attaching the rigs to the boat? Have heard you need a piece of wood to make clamps work properly. Any experience with hooking the aqua-view cam to the cable?

kenzo12
09-06-2008, 02:53 PM
where do they sell cannon downriggers in calgary? All i have seen is scotty