PDA

View Full Version : Do leaders scare Walleye?

ArtVandelay
05-17-2012, 12:36 AM
Same question asked about Pike a couple of days ago: do metal or heavy fluorocarbon leaders scare Walleye?

DiabeticKripple
05-17-2012, 12:53 AM
I almost always have fished with a metal leader and usually out fish the boat still. So not in my experience

huntsfurfish
05-17-2012, 06:37 AM
You dont need to use a leader for walleye. Teeth are conical, not like pike. But if you are afraid of a crank getting bit off by an occational pike then a fluoro leader could help.

Mariko's Rod
05-17-2012, 06:44 AM
depends on your presentation. If you slap a leader on a verticle jig set up it probably reduces bites but if your hammering a crank then I dont think a leader hurts you.

Nickote316
05-17-2012, 06:55 AM
Never had a problem catching eyes with a leader. I Always have one on due to the possibility of snagging a pike

steelhead
05-17-2012, 08:48 AM
I believe that leaders and superlines (dark coloured braids) will turn off a bite.

All my walleye set ups are clear mono tied direct to bait. No snap swivel.

STEELHEAD

thorne
05-17-2012, 09:37 AM
I use leaders on all my rigs, except some trout ponds where I know there are no pike. I even use them on perch rigs, just smaller. I have no problem catching fish. The only way a leader will effect fishing is if the leader interfere with the presentation of the bait, in which case I use a different type of leader more suited to the situation.

Bushmaster
05-17-2012, 09:42 AM
I sometimes think it helps the bite....Lots of the times I use a stainless swivel and have outfished guys using the same jig tied directly. The flash/shine of the swivel was the only difference in setup.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-17-2012, 11:25 AM
No idea why you would use an actuall leader for walleye . I use a 10! Foot section of 100% fluorocarbon line in actuality it's like a leader but not like you are referring to .

I will take my chances if I hooked into a pike I loose a 3.00 set up so be its it's apart of fishing . Now if I were trolling cranks or running bottom bouncers I would use a fluro leader , but if I'm jigging , running lindy rigs , walleye spinners I just use that length of fluorocarbon .

pickrel pat
05-17-2012, 03:45 PM
a million old farmers cant be wrong......:sHa_shakeshout: