PDA

View Full Version : Advice on fishing Montana or possibly an AB roadtrip

Calgaryguy1977
05-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Hey folks,
this weekend im thinking about heading to montana for some trout fishing....the larger the better. Where would be a good spot with a hotel or lodge nearby? The more action the better obviously.
Alternatively I was also thinking of maybe driving around alberta and fishing a few places within a few hours of calgary....possibly crowsnest or forestry trunk etc. and over night fri and sat. Anyone have a cool Itinerary I can try? Like arrive friday evening somwhere...fish a bit then stay the night. Head out the next morning fish all day then stay the night in a diff town and fish along the way. I dont wanna do bc or the national parks though so I dont have to buy another license.
Any input is appreciated!
Cheers!

npauls
05-17-2012, 01:03 PM
Do you have a boat?

If so maybe check out flathead lake and all around that area in montana.

I have heard that the laker fishing is really good down there and the lake is really nice.

Whenever I can afford to do a bit of a trip I will be heading down there to check things out.

ÜberFly
05-17-2012, 01:06 PM
If you are fishing down in the south portion of AB (FTR, etc) make sure you check your regs!

P

Calgaryguy1977
05-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Oh you mean forestry trunk road is closed uber? I just used that as an example

ÜberFly
05-17-2012, 01:32 PM
No it was in relation to the rivers and streams in that area!!

Calgaryguy1977
05-18-2012, 07:02 AM
Any great lakes in southern alberta that are pretty much guaranteed action? Id love to land some large bows or brookies (hell any large trout..cutthroat as well!) anywhere south of Calgary....kind of sick of fishing in and around Calgary.
thanks again for any input guys!

Walnut999
05-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Bullshead south of medicine hat. Duck lake in Montana just over the border south of Cardston. check the flyfishcalgary.com board for all the info u neeed on Bullshead.

Walnut999
05-18-2012, 09:59 AM
montanasducklakelodge.com

Pudelpointer
05-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Duck Lake in MT is good, but if you are after big fish, not table fare, try Mission Lake farther east. It is also on the Blackfeet Res.

Safety D
05-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Flathead Lake is awesome. I went out on a half day trip and hammered the lakers.

TrollGRG
05-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Hey folks,
I dont wanna do bc or the national parks though so I dont have to buy another license.
Any input is appreciated!
Cheers!

Pardon my ignorance but don't you need a licence in Montana?