PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Slave Lake fishing 16' water.

crown royal 17
05-17-2012, 04:06 PM
So if I'm reading the fishing regs a person fishing for walleye here can not fish greater than 16 and half feet of water ? I have no issues with it just wondering if that is how other readers understand the changes as well.
Thanks for your input.

Leech
05-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Where did you find that in the regulations? I highly doubt that would be very effective because it would be nearly impossible to police. Does it list a specific part of the lake?

pickrel pat
05-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Where did you find that in the regulations? I highly doubt that would be very effective because it would be nearly impossible to police. Does it list a specific part of the lake?

might be hard to police but theres alot of honest people out there and every little bit would make a difference........(never heard of that regulation either..)

greylynx
05-17-2012, 05:54 PM
So if I'm reading the fishing regs a person fishing for walleye here can not fish greater than 16 and half feet of water ? I have no issues with it just wondering if that is how other readers understand the changes as well.
Thanks for your input.

I see that regulation is next to the ban on trolling.

Mutter87
05-17-2012, 06:22 PM
what page is this on?

pickrel pat
05-17-2012, 06:26 PM
I see that regulation is next to the ban on trolling.

next to the "no props shall exceed 3 blades" stipulation.

Leech
05-17-2012, 06:29 PM
If there is a regulation i wonder why they would put that in place? Maybe spawning? And i completly agree with you pickrel pat as fisherman are way more legal than they were in the 80s. What if your boat drifts off into more than 16.5 feet in depth or you don't have a fish finder. I mean even perfectly legal fisherman would be breaking that law.

pickrel pat
05-17-2012, 06:35 PM
If there is a regulation i wonder why they would put that in place? Maybe spawning? And i completly agree with you pickrel pat as fisherman are way more legal than they were in the 80s. What if your boat drifts off into more than 16.5 feet in depth or you don't have a fish finder. I mean even perfectly legal fisherman would be breaking that law.

if there is a regulation, it would be in place to up the survival rates of fish. fish pulled up from deep water to fast makes the air bladder explode...... good news is is there is a ton of water under 16 feet in that lake....

crown royal 17
05-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Important changes for 2012.

sourdough doug
05-17-2012, 06:59 PM
And then there is the new reg on - waterproof lures - gotto keep'm dry --but only in Slave Lake, so , thankfully all is not lost.

avb3
05-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Important changes for 2012.

Can you link to the page? I can't find it at all.

The possible reason is fish mortality increases as depth where it is caught increases. If I recall correctly, in Slave Lake there is a thermocline at about the 16 foot level, which is especially prevalent in the summer months.

It is one of the reasons the derby was moved.

Greasemonkey
05-17-2012, 07:13 PM
What the heck are u drinking or smoking it doesn't say anything like that in the regs. Shame on me for even looking

Kokanee9
05-17-2012, 07:27 PM
I couldn't believe it myself until buddy got a ticket for that last weekend. He thinks he has reason to have it thrown out as they were anchored over 19 ft, but they were casting toward shore. It's just the very end of the retrieve over the deeper water he is worried about that may be his undoing.

wcbarker
05-17-2012, 07:49 PM
NAW I dont believe it:sign0161:

Shmag
05-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Well someone has to look after their tiny, skinny walleye. Although i didnt read the 16 ft reg. I thought i heard the west end golden tourney is nothing more than 20 ft of water for the tourney anglers, thats been for a couple yrs now.

I lived in slave since 92 and can honestly say it is the worst managed lake i have ever seen. I still cant wrap my head around the current 1 walleye in summer and 2 walleye in winter???. If they want to regulate depth's, start in winter with the ice shacks in 30+ feet...no grey area there...

lindyrigger
05-17-2012, 07:59 PM
yes those are the new tournament rules for the golden walleye classic

hal53
05-17-2012, 08:01 PM
yes those are the new tournament rules for the golden walleye classic
Good rule, as way too many of those guys watch WAY too much BASS Master's TV.....

greylynx
05-17-2012, 08:23 PM
The Golden Walleye Classic.

In a lake with a suffering walleye population. Like every other walleye lake.

Go figure.

Good to see that trolling is banned.

Cal
05-17-2012, 08:24 PM
I couldn't believe it myself until buddy got a ticket for that last weekend. He thinks he has reason to have it thrown out as they were anchored over 19 ft, but they were casting toward shore. It's just the very end of the retrieve over the deeper water he is worried about that may be his undoing.

If he was fishing Slave Lake last weekend he sure would have got a ticket... but for somthing completely different. And now for our next lesson...... DONT SMOKE CRACK!

pickrel pat
05-17-2012, 08:26 PM

ummmm........... really hey?.... lol.

pickrel pat
05-17-2012, 08:27 PM
ahhh!!!!!! CAL beat me to it....

Elkaholic523
05-17-2012, 08:27 PM
In order to reduce harm to fish, the distance that live fish can be taken from a waterbody has been reduced to five metres.

Elkaholic523
05-17-2012, 08:28 PM
That's what it says in the regs

Cal
05-17-2012, 08:46 PM
In order to reduce harm to fish, the distance that live fish can be taken from a waterbody has been reduced to five metres.

Yep, that makes lots of sense... what these guys are talking about is just plain foolishness.

Mutter87
05-17-2012, 09:19 PM
So what's the truth in this thread??

Nickote316
05-17-2012, 09:26 PM
http://albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/management.html

zorkman
05-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Thanks for your input.

This mean out of the water!!

Important Changes for 2012

The summary in this section does not contain all regulation changes for 2012 and is provided only for general information to assist anglers in locating important changes. Carefully review regulations appearing in “Site-Specific Regulations” for each Watershed Unit for each Fish Management Zone.

General

•After relatively minor changes in 2011, the 2012 sportfishing regulations reflect two years of extensive angler and native consultation on a variety of proposed regulation changes to better manage our fisheries resource. Work continues on a number of lakes and species at risk that form the basis for angler and native input and consultation in 2012.

•In order to reduce harm to fish, the distance that live fish can be taken from a waterbody has been reduced to five metres.

•Anglers are reminded that the use of a light is illegal when sportfishing (unless the light is attached to a hook or line used in angling).

SonnyJ
05-17-2012, 10:46 PM
•In order to reduce harm to fish, the distance that live fish can be taken from a waterbody has been reduced to five metres.

So you're fishing in 10 metres of water and the fish are suspended at 5 metres..

I don't see a problem here..*wink*

Shmag
05-18-2012, 05:41 AM
If i read that correctly, thats for every alberta lake, not just slave

g_trout
05-18-2012, 07:59 AM
What it is saying is that you can't take a live game fish more than 5 meters away from the waterbody. This has nothing to do with fishing but about transportation and is done to prevent people from doing some amateur stocking at another lake. You can still fish and troll in more than 15' of water.

Although if you want to believe that you can't fishing in more than 15' of water, just to be on the safe side, I am sure a lot of lake trout would appreciate that. Would be a great way to get all fish species numbers way up.

mszomola
05-18-2012, 08:25 AM
Talking fishing with albertans is just baffling sometimes. The things I hear are so absurd I wonder sometimes if people just want to feel important by spewing out this sort of none sense or you guys n gals are just that out of touch and fishing is " boring and you'd much rather play with your ninja turtles."

Lefty-Canuck
05-18-2012, 08:26 AM
What it is saying is that you can't take a live game fish more than 5 meters away from the waterbody. This has nothing to do with fishing but about transportation and is done to prevent people from doing some amateur stocking at another lake. You can still fish and troll in more than 15' of water.

Although if you want to believe that you can't fishing in more than 15' of water, just to be on the safe side, I am sure a lot of lake trout would appreciate that. Would be a great way to get all fish species numbers way up.

Exactly.....the new regulation has nothing to do with "catching the fish".....it is more about the "bucket brigade" moving live fish from one point to another....basically they are allowing you to take live fishing to a cleaning station and no further......if you are caught with live fish in a livewel/bucketl and your boat has been loaded and you are further than 5m from the waterbody you will get a ticket.

LC

AlbertanGP
05-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Talking fishing with albertans is just baffling sometimes. The things I hear are so absurd I wonder sometimes if people just want to feel important by spewing out this sort of none sense or you guys n gals are just that out of touch and fishing is " boring and you'd much rather play with your ninja turtles."

Best post in this thread. Now I'm off to Joussard to catch fish at whatever depth I please...

pickrel pat
05-18-2012, 03:47 PM

i guess posts from you will be deemed foo foo from now on eh? excellent story though.

eagle99
05-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Has nothing to do with water depth
Lesser Slave open last week ?