PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon River @ Big lake area

SnoochyBoochy
05-18-2012, 01:20 AM
Heading off to Slave lake for the long weekend but I thought I'd like to get out for a couple hrs this evening. Went to a spot which hasn't been good to me but sought out the shelter of the overpass in the drizzle. And was blessed with a bounty!!

fishdude17
05-18-2012, 01:26 AM
Nice fish!

SonnyJ
05-18-2012, 01:38 AM
Heading off to Slave lake for the long weekend but I thought I'd like to get out for a couple hrs this evening. Went to a spot which hasn't been good to me but sought out the shelter of the overpass in the drizzle. And was blessed with a bounty!!

Now that is a great first post..:)

Welcome SB..:)

Alberta Bigbore
05-18-2012, 06:14 AM
Wow that is a great like out of that area! congrats!

St.Albert Tom
05-20-2012, 09:34 PM
what over pass are you talking about? I tried the sturgeon just down stream from where it leaves big lake around the ray gibbon drive bridge today, no luck for me, but another guy that was there pulled a small pike (about 24") out.

BobLoblaw
05-20-2012, 09:41 PM
Nice snake!:)

Welcome to AO!

BigIrv
05-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Never though there would be something that big in there!! Nice grab!!!

waterninja
05-21-2012, 02:08 AM
iv'e heard there are bike pike where the sturgeon meets the nsr. haven't been there yet and i hear it's hard to acsees the first time. is that near where you were? thats a big hawg. congrats
did not get any rain at all in northeast edm.

SnoochyBoochy
06-09-2012, 01:39 PM
iv'e heard there are bike pike where the sturgeon meets the nsr. haven't been there yet and i hear it's hard to acsees the first time. is that near where you were? thats a big hawg. congrats
did not get any rain at all in northeast edm.

Not the same spot. But I will say that the spot where the Sturge meets the NSR is not all that hard to acsess at all. It is on a decline but nothing crazy

SnoochyBoochy
06-09-2012, 01:40 PM
what over pass are you talking about? I tried the sturgeon just down stream from where it leaves big lake around the ray gibbon drive bridge today, no luck for me, but another guy that was there pulled a small pike (about 24") out.

It is right in that spot that you were although it is on the North side of the river, across the overpass ;) Very shallow catch

newalbertafisherman
06-09-2012, 08:56 PM
I am new to alberta fishing and scoped out the spot you are talking about under the overpass there...looks like I chose a good spot :)
Hoping you may be able to help me choose a lure for these alberta fish...I also heard there are trout in there as well.
Thanks for any tips you are willing to offer.

prodogg02
06-10-2012, 03:22 AM
wasnt the alberta record awhile back for pike cuaght in there i think it was 29lbs ? i drive by there evryday to go to work it look hard to access from shore but i have seen a few small boats around the mouth of the lake.

DuckBrat
06-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Very nice fish, would suggest keeping lids on your fishing locations. I noticed 10 anglers in the same spot last night on the way home from work. I have never seen that many anglers, at one time in that spot. Sad how many anglers react to news one good fish. No spirit of exploration with that bunch. Great fish however.

Lefty-Canuck
06-10-2012, 10:42 AM
wasnt the alberta record awhile back for pike cuaght in there i think it was 29lbs ? i drive by there evryday to go to work it look hard to access from shore but i have seen a few small boats around the mouth of the lake.

No I don't think this was the place...the Alberta records are typically taken in South Res's. 39 lbs is the current Alberta record taken out of Keho.....29 lbs although is a great fish doesn't touch a record pike.

Good advise from Duckbrat...sadly us fisherman are some of the laziest groups around :) The story of one decent fish caught from one area spreads like a virus...this is what can make a great fishing spot a horrible one...

LC