PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience doing a catch, photo, release tournament?

NorthernAbGuy
05-18-2012, 09:39 AM
I am on the local Fish & Game comittee. We are interested in doing a C,P,&R tournament in our area. I have already talked to SRD in Peace river and they say we do NOT need a license for the event as it is low impact and not aimed at one specific waterbody. Does anyone have experience with a similar format of an event? either as an organizer or a participant? Any tips of how I can make this go smoothly and professionally are appreciated. Thanx in advance.

NUK SOO KOW
05-18-2012, 12:22 PM
I would Like to see more of these tourney's happen, the possibilitys are endless. I don't have a live well inmy boats, and it would be cool to have a flyfishing tourney as well. I like the fact it's C&R. Look forward to hearing more.

Mariko's Rod
05-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Im going to do an ice fishing derby next winter on our lake. no weights just prizes for biggest, most and highest total length (species doesnt matter) mostly pike burbs and walley in our lake. may have species prizes too. Photo required against a measuring device i provide.

just a small derby for kids mainly so not too intense about rules and such.

I would be interested to here how you organize yours.

bobalong
05-18-2012, 12:34 PM
We looked at trying to this on the NAWT a few years back, but without an observer in each boat it is impossible to ensure everyone plays by the rules

Mutter87
05-18-2012, 12:46 PM
The "Eastslope kayak fishing classic" is ran like this. Talk to fishnhound and he will be able to fill you in. You do need a permit and a license, you need to apply the year of the tourney. He "fishnhound" will be able to tell you more. Also, pictures count towards your limit etc pictures of 6 seperate trout at phylis lake would count as possesion of 6 fish, this came straight from srd themselves, so those pictures of people's walley actually count as possesion, the squirly thing is if I take a picture of you holding a walleye it is not possesion, if I take a picture of a walleye on its own it does count as possesion, hope I did not cause confusion. Once again any questions should be directed at "fishnhound", hope I was of some assistance.

BeeGuy
05-18-2012, 03:01 PM
The "Eastslope kayak fishing classic" is ran like this. Talk to fishnhound and he will be able to fill you in. You do need a permit and a license, you need to apply the year of the tourney. He "fishnhound" will be able to tell you more. Also, pictures count towards your limit etc pictures of 6 seperate trout at phylis lake would count as possesion of 6 fish, this came straight from srd themselves, so those pictures of people's walley actually count as possesion, the squirly thing is if I take a picture of you holding a walleye it is not possesion, if I take a picture of a walleye on its own it does count as possesion, hope I did not cause confusion. Once again any questions should be directed at "fishnhound", hope I was of some assistance.

Could you clarify this post please. It's a bit confusing.

Mutter87
05-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Could you clarify this post please. It's a bit confusing.

Ok, Say I am at Mcgregor lake and I catch a walleye, I hold the fish up and take a picture, This now counts as me possessing one walleye, If I pose with the fish and you take a picture of me with the fish it does NOT count as possession. Probably sounds like I am trying to bullchit you, But with planning the Eastslopes Kayak tournament last year this is what we were told by SRD.

I do hope this clarified things a bit.

Edit : Here is "Fishnhound" s profile
http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/member.php?u=22791

and here is a link to the C&R tourney

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?p=1426935#post1426935

BeeGuy
05-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Is this 'regulation' only for tournaments?

fishnhound
05-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Hey guys I'm directing the Eastslope kayak Fishing Classic . A catch and release
Human powered fishing tournament. A few things . Tournaments with more then 25 paticipants or with a prize value over $1000 require a competitive fishing license. If under then license not required but recomended. You may also need a provincial event permit depending on location of event, and if so insurance will be required as well. Hope this helps. Check out the tournament site if interested in attending. www.eastslopekayakfishingclassic.com
The my wild Alberta site has lots of info.

Mariko's Rod
05-18-2012, 04:46 PM

That is bizarre. What is the rationale? because if I hold a walleye up at McGregor and take a picture of it that makes me a poacher???

Mutter87
05-18-2012, 06:17 PM
That is bizarre. What is the rationale? because if I hold a walleye up at McGregor and take a picture of it that makes me a poacher???

Essentially yes. I was quite taken when I heard this. It really does seem unbelievable but this came from SRD themselves. If I heard this through the grape vine I would think it was BS.

NorthernAbGuy
05-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Hey All, here's a little more info on what we have in mind. We will be doing a catch, photo, and release tourney. It is not limited to one waterbody. As we are the Dunvegan fish & game assoc, we are setting the area to 250 km from Fairview, in ALBERTA. The contest will run until Oct 30. We were told by SRD that we do NOT need a licence for the event because it is not focusing on one waterbody, and it is spread out over the season. Anglers will have to register to get their unique ID tag, wich must be in the picture with the fish, and the measuring device must be clearly visible. We plan to do 5 prizes, one for largest (longest) Pike, Perch, Walleye, and Rainbow, and one for most inches of all 4. It will be the first one we have done, so kind of went with the 4 most common fish in the area.

bobalong
05-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Hey All, here's a little more info on what we have in mind. We will be doing a catch, photo, and release tourney. It is not limited to one waterbody. As we are the Dunvegan fish & game assoc, we are setting the area to 250 km from Fairview, in ALBERTA. The contest will run until Oct 30. We were told by SRD that we do NOT need a licence for the event because it is not focusing on one waterbody, and it is spread out over the season. Anglers will have to register to get their unique ID tag, wich must be in the picture with the fish, and the measuring device must be clearly visible. We plan to do 5 prizes, one for largest (longest) Pike, Perch, Walleye, and Rainbow, and one for most inches of all 4. It will be the first one we have done, so kind of went with the 4 most common fish in the area.

Sounds interesting, let us know how it goes