PDA

View Full Version : Putting new prop on my boat, need advice.

Cal
05-18-2012, 04:30 PM
I had my boat out today, the 50hp 2002 Johnson would only rev up to 4500 rpm at full throttle. According to the stats I found online this is at the very bottom end of what the motor is supposed to run at with 5500 being the top end. I'm not very knowlegable about outboards but all the information I've found seems to say that its better for a 2 stroke to run at the upper end of its range so I want to re-prop. I dont know exactly what I'm going to need, I also cant find the specs for the stock prop so I dont even realy have a starting point. If anyone has any suggestions, knows what the stock props on a 2002 Johnson are, or knows a link to some kind of program or calculator that will give me an idea what I'm going to need. Thanks.

TROLLER
05-18-2012, 04:34 PM
I had my boat out today, the 50hp 2002 Johnson would only rev up to 4500 rpm at full throttle. According to the stats I found online this is at the very bottom end of what the motor is supposed to run at with 5500 being the top end. I'm not very knowlegable about outboards but all the information I've found seems to say that its better for a 2 stroke to run at the upper end of its range so I want to re-prop. I dont know exactly what I'm going to need, I also cant find the specs for the stock prop so I dont even realy have a starting point. If anyone has any suggestions, knows what the stock props on a 2002 Johnson are, or knows a link to some kind of program or calculator that will give me an idea what I'm going to need. Thanks.

Before you go reproping, make sure when you are running at full throttle that you also are useing the trim properly.

After you get up on plane start to slowly raise the trim, as it goes up so should your rpm till you get up towards the max the motor is spec/ed at.

I know on my 70 once on plane and the trim at 1/4 I am reved at around 4200 but as I raise the trim I can no problem bring my rpm up to close to 6000 which is the max spec for my boat, and more rpm means more speed but also more gas.

Cal
05-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Before you go reproping, make sure when you are running at full throttle that you also are useing the trim properly.

After you get up on plane start to slowly raise the trim, as it goes up so should your rpm till you get up towards the max the motor is spec/ed at.

I know on my 70 once on plane and the trim at 1/4 I am reved at around 4200 but as I raise the trim I can no problem bring my rpm up to close to 6000 which is the max spec for my boat, and more rpm means more speed but also more gas.

Right on, thats probably my problem right there, shows how green I am. Be awesome if they had usefull info like that on the boaters exam instead of all the irrelevent crap.

I baby just about anything I own with a motor in it and dont plan on running it much harder than 4500 anyways. I was just worried about it because I had heard that not being able to make max rpm meant that you were over working your motor and could be detrimental for longivity in a 2 stroke.

So if I trim it up so I can make max rpm and then cut the throttle back to 4000- 4500 I should be running it more gently than when its trimmed down and I need full throttle to make those rpms, correct?

TROLLER
05-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Now you have it. But remember if you stop and go again your trim has to be back down by 1/4 to quickly get you up on plane.

GOOD BOATING