PDA

View Full Version : Grist Lake experience?

Justin Black
05-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Hullo folks. My father and I are headed up to Grist lake in a couple of months, and we were wondering if anyone here had prior experience with the lake? Mostly were are wondering what the average catch was for folks who had already been there, especially for Pike?
Any information shared would be greatly appreciated.

Justin Black

wcbarker
05-19-2012, 11:11 PM
I was there quite a few years ago when you had to fly in.
Then there was only lake trout in grist we went to winiferd for pike and walleye

Rabdo
05-20-2012, 07:37 AM
I've found grist lake hard to fish, and depending when you go, the lakers would be deep. Last year I went in June. Between 9 of us we caught 2 lake trout, 7 lb each and 1 pike. I've never heard of anyone going there and catching alot. The good thing is there is a lake called Jumbo lake, abouta 20 minute walk into the bush, just ask the guys at the lodge and they will help. There are lots of pike in that lake. Didn't catch any big pike there, but they were biting every cast.

Overall, its a nice spot. But if its pike you're after, Winifred lake is supposed to be pike fishing heaven.

Mistagin
05-20-2012, 07:46 AM
There are a few nice pike in Grist :).

Lake trout: a couple of years ago, when we were there, it took me a day and a half to find them. Once we did we had lots of action, end of August, 60 - 70 feet down. Best one was around 12 lbs. :sHa_shakeshout:

Justin Black
05-20-2012, 08:51 AM
Yah my father and I knew the number of fish caught wouldn't equal that of the better known lakes, but we chose Grist due to our budgets and the possibility of catching a Lake Trout or two (will be a first for both of us).
Rabdo this mention of Jumbo lake sounds interesting. How large a lake was it, and were there boats on the lake or was it a fish from shore situation?
Thanks for the info folks.

Fishfull Thinker..
05-20-2012, 10:38 AM
I'm heading to winefred at the end of the week, I will be spending a day on grist I also have never caught a lake trout & have never tried.I don't have downriggers so I bought some heavy jigs & a couple poor mans righted, I will let you know if I have any luck and provide u with any tips I learn.

Justin Black
05-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks Fishfull Thinker, I look forward to hearing about your trip.

Rabdo
05-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Jumbo lake is actually really small. The only boats on it are the 2 small aluminum boats that the lodge stores up there. ask the guys at the lodge because I think they lock them up sometimes. But they will give you a key. Fishing from shore was just as good as using the boats though. Water isn't very clean at the lake but its a nice way to kill a couple hours if Grist isn't producing

wcbarker
05-20-2012, 06:52 PM
OH my mistake
I did not realize there was pike there
yes the lakers were hard to catch
we spent a week there and only caught 2

Fishfull Thinker..
05-20-2012, 11:08 PM
Two lakers in a week,I've only got one day there, hoping me, my dad or my brother catch a least one our goal this summer is to add a laker picture to our album.Can any one tell me a tip or two to hook up without riggers or where to try on grist? (size does not matter as I don't eat fish just want a picture)

Safety D
05-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Grist is pretty dead i had heard. If you wanna hook up to a Laker head to Cold. Its been great the past 10 years !!!!

Fishfull Thinker..
05-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Thanks I've heard cold lake I great,only reason I'm gonna try grist is cause I'm staying at winefred lodge,thought I'd try my luck but all the negative feed back is making think if its worth spending a day on grist or not.

Safety D
05-21-2012, 04:21 PM
I wouldnt. Fred is the best !!!!

Rabdo
05-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Fished Grist lake on Saturday. Caught a 65cm Lake Trout and 72cm Pike
The fish were all super shallow, like 3 feet of water. We seen a lot of fish, schools of them, but only 2 bites!
There were other people fishing, but no more than 3 boats on the lake at a time. Very peaceful. And the other guys were catching some fish too!

Lots of wildlife too, moose, deer, lots of black bears

IHUNT
05-28-2012, 06:18 AM
There is a little pond off to the west of the air strip at grist lakethat is awesome for pike! you will haveto walk into where the pond is (100 feet) but its hard to keep them off your hook and there is some BIG ones in there!!!

catnthehat
05-28-2012, 06:29 AM
In 2001 a work acquaintance of mine (who is a walleye tournament fisherman) went into grist for a weekend with his girlfriend.
it was August , the worst time for lakers according to most people.
He fished it "old school" without a depth sounder, but he did have a hydro graphic map that I had given him.
he watched the conditions, the wind came up, and they headed over to the East side where it goes from rocks to a drop , and bounced their lures down the drop until they got hits in something like 20 feet of water.
They didn't start until 10:00 each morning , and caught fish regularly all day.
The next day they were bouncing down a very long shelf until, they got hits, and the same thing happened- 6 fish for the afternoon.
Nobody else on the lake caught very much of anything, and lodge was full.

The fish are there, you just have to know how to fish to get them.

Cat