PDA

View Full Version : Empty Rivet Hole?

trapshooter
05-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Hey,
I tested out my 12 foot aluminum yesterday for the first time and noticed that one of te rivets is missing completly through. I patch with JB waterweld for the day and it held fine but I want something better for next time. I dont have the equipment to put in new rivets and nt want to buy gear for just one or two. What would you do or sal it with,

Geezle
05-20-2012, 10:40 AM
If you don't replace the rivet then you may as well just stick with the JB weld...anything you do is going to be a band-aid and not a permanent fix.

trapshooter
05-20-2012, 11:32 AM
How would I go about putting a new rivet in?

wellpastcold
05-20-2012, 11:49 AM
You can get rivets with a rubber core that you could install yourself. Skidoo repair shops have them. I believe they are a bombardier item. Had some installed on a Starcraft boat I used to own. They worked well.

trapshooter
05-20-2012, 11:55 AM
You can get rivets with a rubber core that you could install yourself. Skidoo repair shops have them. I believe they are a bombardier item. Had some installed on a Starcraft boat I used to own. They worked well.

Do I need a special tool to put them In?

wellpastcold
05-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Just a pop rivet gun.

Geezle
05-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Do I need a special tool to put them In?

Just a pop rivet gun.

Yup, just a rivet gun and a rivet or two. You can get rivet guns pretty cheap as well...check out Princess Auto for an inexpensive one :)

mikebossy
05-20-2012, 01:27 PM
easier idea is to get a stainless bolt that just fits thru, put the bolt head on outside, and tighten up a locknut on inside of boat, ooops put a rubber washer and stainless washer on each side, works like a charm, tighten up just until water doesnt get thru

mikebossy
05-20-2012, 01:28 PM
if you have an old inner tube from bike thats toast cut a piece of that and use for the washer

thunderheart
05-20-2012, 02:11 PM
i have used little stainless steel stove bolt (basically a little straight threaded screw)and stainless self locking nut and then use nail polish to lock the threads and grind the remainder of the stove bolt off works like a charm on old tinnies i have owned

FishingFrenzy
05-20-2012, 03:18 PM
i have used little stainless steel stove bolt (basically a little straight threaded screw)and stainless self locking nut and then use nail polish to lock the threads and grind the remainder of the stove bolt off works like a charm on old tinnies i have owned

X2 except use Marine Goop or 3M 5200 Marine Sealant, both available for under 20 bucks at Canadian Tire.

trapshooter
05-20-2012, 04:07 PM

Think I might try this, JB weld around it too!

thunderheart
05-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Think I might try this, JB weld around it too! that will work !!:sHa_shakeshout:

lifesaflyin
05-20-2012, 10:43 PM
X2 except use Marine Goop or 3M 5200 Marine Sealant, both available for under 20 bucks at Canadian Tire.

Think I might try this, JB weld around it too!

with marine goop you will not need anything else. thats sheit is tuff stuff. my boat leaked, ok sealed up the rivets, 2 years sitting outside in the sun no problems, truck was rusting squirted some of that on the bad rust spots, stopped it in its tracks, quad needed a snorkel, I connected all the pipes together with it,will never come apart or leak, wheel trim fell off on the truck, yep marine goop.. if i ever get another ulcer im tellin the doctor to seal it up with marine goop.

i bet you could build a boat with no rivets using only that stuff to hold it together.

bisonhunter
05-21-2012, 07:34 AM
with marine goop you will not need anything else. thats sheit is tuff stuff. my boat leaked, ok sealed up the rivets, 2 years sitting outside in the sun no problems, truck was rusting squirted some of that on the bad rust spots, stopped it in its tracks, quad needed a snorkel, I connected all the pipes together with it,will never come apart or leak, wheel trim fell off on the truck, yep marine goop.. if i ever get another ulcer im tellin the doctor to seal it up with marine goop.

i bet you could build a boat with no rivets using only that stuff to hold it together.

What he said, if they could make pike leaders out of marine goop they wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelves.

My old boat split down both sides for 18 inches, I patched it with some aluminum, stove bolts, and said product thinking I would have to repeat the repair every year. 5 years later I sold the boat without 1 drop of water ever getting through the patches. That's five years of pounding the waters of Great Slave Lake, no small feat ......... you can see the odd colour patch on the seam below the word troller.

I bet marine goop could climb everest .... would never be on the lake without it.

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/robthefisher/DSC_0656.jpg

harrydude
05-21-2012, 09:40 AM
You can get a proper buck rivet and come by and I will help you install it

Mariko's Rod
05-21-2012, 09:42 AM
use a self tapping screw a size bigger than the rivet hole. screw it half way (from the outside) in. put a dab of clear silicone in there screw it all the way in and grind off most of the screw end and call it good.

Kim473
05-22-2012, 05:39 AM
use a self tapping screw a size bigger than the rivet hole. screw it half way (from the outside) in. put a dab of clear silicone in there screw it all the way in and grind off most of the screw end and call it good.

Stainless bolt would be better. Can get at homedepot. Silicone will start to dissinagrate after a year and will start to leak again. Epoxy would be a more permanate sealant. Stainless nut and bolt $2.00, Epoxy at the dollar store, $2.00. Old bike inner tube, $0.00

Have used the screw method many times on car gas tanks with the inner tube washer to fix small holes. Last time it lasted over 4 years then I sold the car.

I think the flexing in the boat will start the screw leaking in a year or so. So the bolt will be a better fix. Same method as above but use 1 stainless bolt, 1 self locking stainless nut, 2 stainless washers, 2 rubber washers and epoxy. Remember to use sandpaper to get rig of the oxidizatiom off the aluminum so that what ever sealant you use will stick to it.

I wonder if plumbers putty would work? Seems to work for years on kitchen sinks and stuff.

wildcat111
05-22-2012, 05:51 AM
riviting sets are very cheap, 10-15 c.tire, it would take 2 minutes to figure it out and another minute to fix the hole