PDA

View Full Version : Hay River NWT fishing trip?

jessepaul
05-20-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm headed to Hay River in early June for a day trip or maybe even two. Just wondering if there's any fishing a person would recommend hitting up along the way? If someone could send me a Private Message or post on here it'd be greatly apprieciated!

Thanks,

Happy fishing!

pickrel pat
05-20-2012, 01:12 PM
got a boat?

jessepaul
05-20-2012, 03:34 PM
No boat, fishing from shore. I prefer fishing streams or rivers. Any suggestions?

pickrel pat
05-20-2012, 04:42 PM
No boat, fishing from shore. I prefer fishing streams or rivers. Any suggestions?

you could shoot over to ft. providence and fish the mckenzie river...... each year ive gone ive seen campers and lots of shore fishermen at the winter crossing. ive never done it but see them from the boat. monster pike in the big river, walleye, and inconnu(coneys as the locals call them.)

OL_JR
05-20-2012, 05:42 PM
I've fished the ice crossing as well. Few years ago I saw a lady pull the biggest pike I've ever seen out from there. During the middle of the day it didn't seem to bad but in the morning or evening there was a lot of people crammed in a small fishing area. I've only had success at the fort providence side but I understand that the other end of the crossing can be good as well. Last time I went the hay river side was muddy and didn't catch squat. Not to say that it isn't worth a try.

I'd definately recommend hitting Lady Evelyn Falls. Had a blast catching some pretty chunky grayling out of there. If all is the same you have to navigate a steep bank to get into the fishing but well worth it.

pickrel pat
05-20-2012, 06:17 PM
I'd definately recommend hitting Lady Evelyn Falls. Had a blast catching some pretty chunky grayling out of there. If all is the same you have to navigate a steep bank to get into the fishing but well worth it.

fished there as well......... for grayling i would hit up the kakisa...... its phenominal!

Tom Pullings
05-20-2012, 06:30 PM
[QUOTE=I'd definately recommend hitting Lady Evelyn Falls. Had a blast catching some pretty chunky grayling out of there. If all is the same you have to navigate a steep bank to get into the fishing but well worth it.[/QUOTE]

Just came back from there. Caught lots of Pike but no Grayling.

chad66
05-20-2012, 06:55 PM
I'm headed to Hay River in early June for a day trip or maybe even two. Just wondering if there's any fishing a person would recommend hitting up along the way? If someone could send me a Private Message or post on here it'd be greatly apprieciated!

Thanks,

Happy fishing!

The Mackenzie and Kakisa rivers are both excellent recommendations made by fellow outdoorsman. They may be a bit out of your way if you are going to The town of Hay River, and escpecially if you are only going for the day. I have had very good luck for walleye fishing in Hay river, from shore, both in the west channel (just west of the bridge), and in the east channel not far after crossing the bridge. I have had my best luck in early July. On your way north you might want to take a break for a few minutes just north of the Steen River forestry base where a few creeks cross the highway. I think one of them is called "Jackpot" and there is another one a few miles before you get to "Indian Cabins" there are pike in those creeks and they might help break up the monotony of those long straightaways on your drive. Good luck.

OL_JR
05-20-2012, 10:21 PM
Just came back from there. Caught lots of Pike but no Grayling.

Weird been there twice and never caught a pike:) I know they are in there though the first time I fished below the falls I had a dink follow to shore. I was using small panther martins.

Whiteysonly
05-21-2012, 08:12 AM

Thanks,

Happy fishing!

Let us know how you do I'm heading up there july1 for 2 weeks I have no idea where to go either. I have a 14' lund alum and Honda 4 stroke taking the family my daughter has never caught a fish, I'm hoping to find a place for my holiday trailer were I can leave the boat in the water and camp. I am going to do the waterfall route that's all I know any input would be appreciated.
Sorry to hijack your thread

pickrel pat
05-21-2012, 08:26 AM
Let us know how you do I'm heading up there july1 for 2 weeks I have no idea where to go either. I have a 14' lund alum and Honda 4 stroke taking the family my daughter has never caught a fish, I'm hoping to find a place for my holiday trailer were I can leave the boat in the water and camp. I am going to do the waterfall route that's all I know any input would be appreciated.
Sorry to hijack your thread

waterfalls are awsome, alexandria, lady evylyn, kakisa, louise. fishing is decent under the falls.

Whiteysonly
05-21-2012, 08:44 AM
waterfalls are awsome, alexandria, lady evylyn, kakisa, louise. fishing is decent under the falls.

Thanks Pat are you able to launch a boat by the falls or is it a shore deal?? PS Im sure ill stay on the bottom side of the falls :)

pickrel pat
05-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Thanks Pat are you able to launch a boat by the falls or is it a shore deal?? PS Im sure ill stay on the bottom side of the falls :)

been a long time but im pretty sure its shore fishing at the falls.

KegRiver
05-21-2012, 09:03 AM
It depends on how far from Hay River you are willing to go.
Right in Hay River there is decent fishing along the Hay early in the year.

Kakisa and Ft. Providence are good this time of year.
East there's Fishermans Bay a little past the old Pine Point mine and fish can be caught off the wharf at Ft Resolution.

There are other places out that way, but they are walk in and hard to find if you don't know the side roads.

All those are drive to, shore fishing.

With a boat, your options would expand immensely.

Lake Trout to 40 lbs, Pike to 30, Inconnu to 35, Walleye to 10 are possible in many locations around the big lake and in smaller lakes and rivers throughout the area.

gilbertslake
05-21-2012, 09:24 AM
It depends on how far from Hay River you are willing to go.
Right in Hay River there is decent fishing along the Hay early in the year.

Kakisa and Ft. Providence are good this time of year.
East there's Fishermans Bay a little past the old Pine Point mine and fish can be caught off the wharf at Ft Resolution.

There are other places out that way, but they are walk in and hard to find if you don't know the side roads.

All those are drive to, shore fishing.

With a boat, your options would expand immensely.

Lake Trout to 40 lbs, Pike to 30, Inconnu to 35, Walleye to 10 are possible in many locations around the big lake and in smaller lakes and rivers throughout the area.

I fished the Little Buffalo River about an hour east of Hay River, a few years back. It is on the highway to Fort Resolution. There is a day us park at the river.
I caught some nice pike 5-15lbs and accidentally snagged a white fish about 5lbs.
Also fished Great slave Lake from Fort Resolution and got lake trout and pike from a boat, as I was lucky to have someone loan me their boat. Also caught pike along the shore line. If you go east from Fort Resolution on a woods road (past the buffalo ranch) to the old small settlement (I can't remember the name) where there are house ruins, you can fish there as well. I caught a few pike along the shoreline there.
If you are in Fort Resolution on a Thursday, try Lena's Restaurant as Thursday is her fish-fry day and she does great whitefish (assuming it is still operating)

pickrel pat
05-21-2012, 09:29 AM
I fished the Little Buffalo River about an hour east of Hay River, a few years back. It is on the highway to Fort Resolution. There is a day us park at the river.
I caught some nice pike 5-15lbs and accidentally snagged a white fish about 5lbs.

you used to be able to rent boats there too.

gilbertslake
05-21-2012, 10:00 AM
you used to be able to rent boats there too.

Pat did you ever do the river run from Fort Smith to Fort Resolution? I know some people who canoed the 250km or so. It took them almost a week. They said the fishing wasn't so hot, but I think they said that they caught brook trout below the rapids at Fort Smith. They saw a lot of buffalo and other wild life along the way though.
It's a trip I have been thinking of doing, maybe someday.

pickrel pat
05-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Pat did you ever do the river run from Fort Smith to Fort Resolution? I know some people who canoed the 250km or so. It took them almost a week. They said the fishing wasn't so hot, but I think they said that they caught brook trout below the rapids at Fort Smith. They saw a lot of buffalo and other wild life along the way though.
It's a trip I have been thinking of doing, maybe someday.

nope. sounds like an adventure to my liking though..... all my canoeing has been on the peace.

jessepaul
05-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Thanks for all the words of wisdom everyone! You all were great help! Is there anywhere soon as a person crosses the Alberta NWT border a person can pick up a fishing licence?

Thanks Jesse Lougheed!

Tom Pullings
05-22-2012, 01:48 PM
You can usually buy an nwt license at the tourist center at the border. Or you can get one at true value hardware in High Level.

pinelakeperch
03-29-2015, 10:54 PM
How safe is a trip like this? How's the fishing in late April-early May? Thanks!

KegRiver
03-30-2015, 01:48 AM
How safe is a trip like this? How's the fishing in late April-early May? Thanks!

What are you wondering about? Safe as in is the lake boat friendly? Safe as in are the people friendly? Safe as in, are the bears bothersome?

I can't think of anything to be particularly concerned about myself but I've only been back once since the late 1980s.

I'm sure the fish are as plentiful but if all you want to do is fish, I wouldn't recommend it.

That last trip I made up there, two years ago, was a big disappointment. Most of the lake is now essentially reserved for commercial fisherman. The day and catch limits are one of each species for much of the Lake.
There are signs everywhere saying if you want more then one fish, buy from a commercial fisherman.

April would be too early. May is prime fishing on the lake, especially near feeder streams. We used to go the long weekend in May. Back then the fishing was awesome. Like nothing one would experience in Alberta.
Fort Providence used to be a popular destination for people from High Level.
Apparently the fishing there was even better then what I experienced around Pine Point and Fort Res.

Mid summer, around the Fort Res, the water gets real murky and the fishing in Fort Res Bay and the surrounding area is the pits. The East arm and up towards Yellowknife should be okay then but I've never fished that part of the lake so that's only a guess.

The areas the natives control have much more generous limits but I don't know what one has to do or buy to fish there.

I only know that a general NWT fishing license isn't worth the paper it is printed on. Might as well stay home and fish the local lake or river.

If you are going to see that environment and to get to know it's inhabitants, then I would highly recommend you go. And by all means. carry a fishing pole. It's a special experience fishing in daylight at midnight even if you can only take home one fish.

albertadeer
03-30-2015, 11:51 AM
Went up past Yellowknife last June.

Loved it, recommend it to anyone... Though our camp got robbed one day.. Hahaha

GuideLife
03-31-2015, 08:08 AM
Check the new NWT Regulations before you go. There have been some changes made- or at least there were some proposed changes in that area to help sustain the fishery. Overfishing has been a huge problem in the region. Good luck and have fun!