PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Bow river in Calgary area

SANTER
03-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Hi Guys!

I am new to Canada.. But I love fishing! I was reading this forum a lot, and it really helped me to sucseed on my first ice fishing season. Thanks to you all for posting good info! We have manged for the first time in my live to pull through the ice pikes, burbouts from Crawling Valley and Gull lake... We do not have this types of fosh species where i come from...
Also used some tips from this forum and we had a good time at Chain lakes with little trouts...

Hey guys, i have a question: Is it possible, or should I say is it worth trying fishing Bow river around Calgary city? I live cose to 17ave S.W. and always was thinking about giving a try in downown area? I don't know may be it is a crazy thought? What would you suggest guys? I never fished trouts in open water before - but heard that they give you a very good fight with jumps out of water and stuff...

Thanks guys

Santer

Lethalconnection
03-27-2008, 10:04 PM
Trout are my favorite open water species to catch. They give wicked fights, many will go airborne many times, they go on long runs, head shakes, rolls, dives you name it they do it. The bow river is a wicked trout fishery. Hard river to fish for the beginner, there is alot involved when it comes to the Bow alot of changing factors throughout the year. For example right now you will catch the majority of your fish in slower moving water as when summer/fall rolls around you will find them more in the faster moving water.

I find there are more Whitefish inside the city limits but there are still alot of trout and bigguns too. A basic setup that will catch you fish is a Wire Worm(aka San Juan Worm aka SJW) and have that about 7-8 feet from your float and you will hook into a couple fish.

Here are a couple posts about the bow already made so far this year.
http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=13411
http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=13336
http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=13294

SANTER
03-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Thank you very much for the replay Lethal! I will go to the Whole sports and get the gear + wire worms... Any particular area worth trying? Bellow the dam, or above? I sow some people last summer in NW part of the city... can't rememebr exactly wher it was... I wouldlike to learn the technique before getting out to some remote locations/places

Thanks again!

Santer

Lethalconnection
03-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Above the dam is closed untill Apr 1st so if your going before then you have to go below. Few good spots is along Carburn park, and fish creek, both hold lots of fish and some really nice sized ones too.

Jack Man
07-09-2010, 02:28 PM
how come I cant catch any fish on the bow iv'e been there like 20 time and not a bite
:sign0176:

ctrisaaclds
02-18-2013, 09:21 PM
This is what bow river offer to us !!!!!!!!

ctrisaaclds
02-18-2013, 09:26 PM
MORE PICS OF MY CATCHES IN BOW RIVER CALGARY, FROM PIKE TO BURBOT AND RAINBOW TROUT.:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::bad_boys_20 :

EZM
02-18-2013, 10:27 PM
Bow river is a world class trout fishery ............ takes a long time to figure out but well worth it.

I grew up in Calgary and fished the bow for many years.

World Class .......... right in your backyard.