PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear a Life Jacket while in your boat ?

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Pretty simple , Answer the poll , With Fishing season pretty much open all over again , as its law to have your life jackets in the boat do you wear them .

With a great possibility of recent events in the Edmonton Area , of 2 young men losing there lives , It has been said that they weren't wearing there life jackets .

I know myself I always wear mine when i'm moving , and or when the water is choppy .

pickrel pat
05-21-2012, 11:30 AM
i wear mine while travelling. drifting or anchered i do not.

TheKi
05-21-2012, 11:35 AM
i wear mine all the time, i hate mine it sucks, im a good swimmer and all but sometimes its just better to be safe ( i bet you didn't expect me to be saying this)

pickrel pat
05-21-2012, 11:37 AM
i wear mine all the time, i hate mine it sucks, im a good swimmer and all but sometimes its just better to be safe ( i bet you didn't expect me to be saying this)

prolly because your a kid and the adult owner makes you? lol, my guess....

TheKi
05-21-2012, 11:40 AM
prolly because your a kid and the adult owner makes you? lol, my guess....

nope, iv gone boating by myself in a little john boat and i still wear it

05-21-2012, 11:40 AM

You know I hate them big bulky life jackets , so at fishin hole mayfield show I bought a couple of the Mustang Static PFD's , they only go off with water pressure , so you can have it soaking in water but if its anything over 4 inches it goes off .

Cost me a small fortune , but well worth the buy in my opinion .

TheKi
05-21-2012, 11:46 AM
You know I hate them big bulky life jackets , so at fishin hole mayfield show I bought a couple of the Mustang Static PFD's , they only go off with water pressure , so you can have it soaking in water but if its anything over 4 inches it goes off .

Cost me a small fortune , but well worth the buy in my opinion .

iv been thinking of getting one or two of them to go with my ski boat but ya don't they start at like $100 or something and go up to $250

TJG
05-21-2012, 11:47 AM
It my depend to some ppl, the boat size. a 20 foot pro v is very stable, 17.5 ft Crestline is very stable, 12 ft alum, jon boat or canoe are sometimes not to stable. This is related to the river or lake ur on and if u like to stand and cast and retrive. I saw two young kyakers get swampped yesterday on Sylvan. this idiot was less then twenty yards from them doing at least 30mph. I saw someone from the cabins on the northwest shore hop in a boat and chase him, dont know the out come but the youths were all rite. They had jackets on and it was a calm day.

YeeHaw
05-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Guess this is where I should hang my head in shame. I admit I do not put mine on unless the water conditions are to rough for my comfort :scared0018:level.

bwackwabbit
05-21-2012, 11:48 AM
I have the same as u John, and I figure if I'm telling the little guy he has to have his on 100% Dad better as well (fairs fair...lol).

Cheers.

05-21-2012, 11:54 AM
I have the same as u John, and I figure if I'm telling the little guy he has to have his on 100% Dad better as well (fairs fair...lol).

Cheers.

I really like mine , its super light , I know its gonna keep me a float if I need it to . All though I had to get the extension , but still works the same .

In fact I talked with one of the head reps from Mustang , and being a big guy I always thought , needed more floatation , then say a small guy . Not the case , I forget the exact numbers , but a man of my stature requires less flotation then Jimbob who weighs 160 lbs .

None the less , I wasn't willing to put my life or any of my clients lives by cheeping out on safety gear and life jackets .

Mistagin
05-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Always, and no one goes in my boat(s) without wearing them!!!

I've known of too many people who've drowned from falling out of a boat, capsizing a canoe, etc. and life jackets were in the boat just not used.

ghostguy6
05-21-2012, 01:14 PM
I usually wear mine when moving but I will admit sometimes it gets used as a seat in some boats while trolling. If im in my inflatable or canoe its always on.

huntsfurfish
05-21-2012, 01:54 PM
And remember, inflatables must be worn. Just having them in the boat does not make you "legal".

TheKi
05-21-2012, 01:56 PM
And remember, inflatables must be worn. Just having them in the boat does not make you "legal".
i'm pretty sure its the other way round

huntsfurfish
05-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Not with inflatables

trapshooter
05-21-2012, 02:01 PM
If I am in my canoe or aluminum then I always wear it. If I am in my big 22' pontoon boat then I dont!

silverdoctor
05-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Always have one on in the tube or boat, not worth the risk and I can swim.

I've been in unknown river waters many times, i'm not immune to throwing on my life jacket. I've near drowned a few times falling into holes on rivers.

May look stupid, but better than laying in a coffin.

JohninAB
05-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Once in a blue moon. Want to get some Life jackets like bbj is talking about then will wear them more.

Elk Chaser
05-21-2012, 02:27 PM
When I was young, single and dumb, I took a trip off the front of a open bow boat after the driver cut inside a buoy and hit the rock ledge. No life jacket on, I was banged up a bit, from then on I have one and I wear it.

bloopbloob
05-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Almost never when in my 12' aluminum unless water is rough. Always have it on, and make all passengers wear one whenever out in my 75hp boat.

Hagalaz
05-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Haven't had much experience in boating, but whenever I was in a boat I always wore a life jacket.

I know how to swim quite well, but better safe than sorry.

avb3
05-21-2012, 03:09 PM
All the time - hangover from when I was a life guard in my late teens/early twentys.

Here is a factiod, most males who drowned falling off a boat are found with their flys open.

Willowtrail
05-21-2012, 03:56 PM
I grew up in a boat my whole life waterskiing and such. Only wore it as a kid. Never wear mine in my 14'er but now have a new Mustang Fully Auto and will wear it when I fish alone and will probably get in the habbit to always wear it.

I didn't vote in the poll because I should vote never for my past but my future will be always.

And to TheKi, The inflatables must be on your body to be legal, not sitting on the seat.

nimrod
05-21-2012, 04:02 PM
I use one of those, pull to inflate ones, use it when on the boat and duck hunting, if I should hit a beaver run and go down, waders fill and down I go, have not and to pull the cord YET, but ready it the time comes.

gramps73
05-21-2012, 04:36 PM
I bought some of the small vest

Darren N
05-21-2012, 04:52 PM
I wear mine all the time. Even my pontoon boat. It's like your seatbelts. you dont plan for an accident but you're glad you are wearing one when it happens.

silverdoctor
05-21-2012, 06:10 PM
I wear mine all the time. Even my pontoon boat. It's like your seatbelts. you dont plan for an accident but you're glad you are wearing one when it happens.

Yep, you're bloody right about that one. Always have my belt on, saved my life the only time I was hit head on. Banged up and bruised, but alive.

catnthehat
05-21-2012, 06:38 PM
All the time, ever since my first boat ride as a baby..
Been wearing the new Mustang PFD's of late, but in the fall I wear a Mustang Floater suit.
Cat

DiabeticKripple
05-21-2012, 06:48 PM
i only wear it when i move or when the water gets choppy. if im trolling and its calm i wont wear it though

gramps73
05-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Most of the tournament trails now have it mandatory that when the boat is motion it must be on...
I think that it is great thing..

Donny Bear
05-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Wear my Stern inflatable all the time and vests at the ready as the back up

pelada trochu
05-21-2012, 08:17 PM
I was looking for one. Fish alone but can't find a comfortable one they rub my neck raw. If I found one that was comf I would wear it all the time. Now just when I'm moving But my reAl risk is falling and hitting my head on way down.

Anyone have a comfy self auto brand. I'm 65 260

Yéil
05-21-2012, 08:33 PM
After jumping out of Seakings or RHibs, to rescue folks who weren't wearing their life jackets at sea for the last 20 years, I always wear mine, because I don't want to be that pain in the ass person who is not wearing a lifejacket my successors now has to rescue.

The ones wearing a jacket or PFD were so much easier to get in the sling or back in the boat than the ones panicking because they were struggling to stay afloat and tiring me out trying to get them to safety.

Knot Rite
05-21-2012, 09:31 PM
I have a predator k-111 kiack and am guilty of not wearing one but have the life jacket thrown over the bow. I know this isn't right but I do have advance swimming skills and a certified diver but I know this doesn't justify not wearing one. :sEm_oops2:

Xiph0id
05-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Never but it's tucked away neatly under my bow.

SonnyJ
05-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Depends...If I'm in a little boat on a big lake and a storm comes up then yes...otherwise not so much so..

Yéil
05-21-2012, 10:12 PM
I was looking for one. Fish alone but can't find a comfortable one they rub my neck raw. If I found one that was comf I would wear it all the time. Now just when I'm moving But my reAl risk is falling and hitting my head on way down.

Anyone have a comfy self auto brand. I'm 65 260

Try one of the Mustang inflatables. http://mustangsurvival.com/recreational/mit-22-camo-inflatable-pfd-automatic?division=recreation (manual)

Automatic - http://mustangsurvival.com/recreational/mit-22-inflatable-pfd-automatic

Not as bulky, comfy to wear and comes in camo now!

They also make a fishing vest PFD. Two items in one article of clothing. http://mustangsurvival.com/recreational/inflatable-fisherman-vest?division=recreation

I've worn Mustang gear for most of my Naval career, trust them with my life.

AppleJax
05-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Only when I need to, I use my judgement.

dragon
05-22-2012, 09:28 AM
I do not wear one on my pontoon boat unless its kids and me... If there is another adult I do not wear one.

Ski boat is mandatory everyone wears one, if I owned a smaller boat I would probably wear one in that too.

Jamie Black R/T
05-22-2012, 10:43 AM
i only wear one when under power or fishing rough water.

Kids are made to wear PFD's at ALL times when out with me....whether im wearing one or not....whats all this equality crap? doesnt matter what im doing...do what you're told!!

all said....Im going to buy a self inflating as i know i SHOULD be wearing one full time.

Yéil
05-22-2012, 11:34 AM
i only wear one when under power or fishing rough water.

Kids are made to wear PFD's at ALL times when out with me....whether im wearing one or not....whats all this equality crap? doesnt matter what im doing...do what you're told!!

all said....Im going to buy a self inflating as i know i SHOULD be wearing one full time.

Just some info that I've seen over the years...

Most persons who drown are male. They will either not be wearing a PFD or they will have attempted to self rescue without a flotation device or they will have used up valuable energy to save a child who is in the water with them.

A person most at risk for drowning are the ones who cannot speak or move their arms. These folks are most unlikely to be able to grab a flotation device when thrown to them. They are also unlikely to be able to move towards a rescue vehicle/device. No amount of ropes, pfds or grappling hooks will help a person in this condition. They simply won't reach for it. These are the ones that you have to go and retrieve them - which puts the rescuer at risk.

Breathing is the primary survival function and most drowning victims not wearing a PFD will attempt to keep their head above water. They may not be taking adequate breaths and be in a position with their head that they cannot see you. These folks are the hardest to rescue because they are already in survival hyper mode and if you have to grab them, they will panic. They simply won't try to self rescue once they reach the hyper survival mode.

If you have to pick the person to rescue first, pick the one that is the quietest over the one that is waving and speaking/shouting. The quiet one will have entered the hyper survival and they are at the highest risk to drown without assistance. The shouter will still be able to self rescue if thrown a PFD or be able to head towards the rescue vehicle.

Please, all you guys that aren't wearing a pfd, help out the rescuers to help you survive a mishap. Wear one whenever you are out on the water.

Monster Pike Man
05-22-2012, 06:06 PM
I should wear a life jacket but i'm more concerned on drinking beer

05-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Im shocked at the number od people who dont wear them , further more is the people who dont even have them .

Pikecrazed
05-22-2012, 10:15 PM
I always wear mine but should update since I use some that I found in our cabin a few years back that are from the 50s 60s time they are way older than me but safety first

billie
05-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Im shocked at the number of people who dont wear them , further more is the people who dont even have them .

I think you may be putting more faith in your poll than it deserves and I would HOPE the ones that report NONE are just toying with your poll. Fact is that polls on AO are the opinion of a small group and history shows that they are not very accurate (WR polls excluded). Good for interest though.

I've been boating since about 1976 and the poll results do not reflect what I've actually seen, focusing on the present rather than the past. To suggest that 75% wear their jackets while under way is simply not true. The only group I see wearing jackets pretty faithfully are PARTICIPANTS in water sports (last year's tragety at Chestermere excluded).

FWIW, I just went to auto-inflatables.

Lornce
05-23-2012, 09:48 AM
I wear mine all the time from launch to take in. I grew up on the water on Lake Okanagan. Teaching sailing and Guiding for many years. There is no way I would be without mine. Served in volunteer search and rescue I saw too many tragedies over the years not to be safe on the water. Right now I wear a XPS deluxe fishing vest, USCG-approved, very comfortable. I also over stock with life jackets in the boat. The mustangs are a great choice also.

I have found myself in the water a few times. My last boat, a Bayliner was destroyed by a boatload of idiots on Woods Lake in a bay close to the Turtle Bay marina. They only had a couple of beers and where playing at seeing how close they could speed by various sailboats and other craft on the lake. The CO's where boating out at the time acting on a complaint about them and saw them hit me. I was stationary at the time, drifting, fly-fishing. They passed me once at high speed missing me the first time by about 4 feet almost sending me into the water from the wake. They all laughed and pointed having a great time. The second time they circled and caught me in the starboard stern 4” from the edge.

The force split my entire starboard portion off, their prop shooting up a wave of fiberglass pieces a few of which embedded in my forearm. I was tossed into the water by the impact surrounded by won blood. There was certainly no time to put on a life jacket even after their first pass and I was stunned from the impact. luckily I always wear a jacket, I woke up minutes later in the water, without one I certainly would have drowned.

Be safe out there.

ddddd05
05-23-2012, 06:05 PM
When I see a person not wearing a lifejacket in their boat I just assume they haven't spent much time on the water.

catnthehat
05-23-2012, 07:28 PM
I think you may be putting more faith in your poll than it deserves and I would HOPE the ones that report NONE are just toying with your poll. Fact is that polls on AO are the opinion of a small group and history shows that they are not very accurate (WR polls excluded). Good for interest though.

I've been boating since about 1976 and the poll results do not reflect what I've actually seen, focusing on the present rather than the past. To suggest that 75% wear their jackets while under way is simply not true. The only group I see wearing jackets pretty faithfully are PARTICIPANTS in water sports (last year's tragety at Chestermere excluded).

FWIW, I just went to auto-inflatables.
Like I said - ALWAYS!
There is about 2 feet of water here, and if you blow up the pic you will see I'm wearing a Mustang life jacket!:sign0161:
Cat
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/catnthehat/victory_roll.jpg

billie
05-23-2012, 07:39 PM
:)
I'm wasn't picking at anyone in particular it's just that watching boaters over the years I would not say I've seen 60-70% (poll results have changed a bit) of boaters in jackets. CVR on Monday was maybe 10% if that. But it was dead calm and warm.

I would suggest 75% of jet boaters do though, if they're wise. Looks like a nice run Cat.

catnthehat
05-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Lots of fun for sure Billie!
For those in the Fort that are interested, that was taken from the foot bridge across the Hanging Stone going to Paradise trailer park!:)
Cat

billie
05-23-2012, 07:53 PM
A buddy has a jet so I get out once in a while. Yup, wearing a jacket.

In 2' of water you probably should have a helmet and a flak jacket:sHa_sarcasticlol:

New Hunter Okotoks
05-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Honestly, I never wear mine when I'm in a boat. If the weather is that bad and the water is that dangerous that I would feel the need to wear it; I won't be out on the lake.

Dona
05-23-2012, 08:15 PM
In an earlier Life I was a Biologist with Environment Canada Water Quality. As such I have spent more wonderful hours on our Rivers and Lakes than most. On the South Saskatchewan River i watched a dear friend die. He was in a 21 foot Boston Whaler a larger stable boat.

He would be here today if his Life Jacket was on him! He was a varsity Swim Team member!!!

Fools don't wear Life Jackets!

Ken07AOVette
05-23-2012, 08:49 PM
In my 21' fibreglass inboard I only wear it when I am on a rough lake, or if I am towing people (tubing, kneeboard etc)

I know I should wear it more, especially fishing on the swim platform.

I always carry twice as many life jackets as there are people in the boat, minors have no choice, in the boat jacket on.

Good thread Johnboy

Steven Noel
05-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Always have, and plan to continue doing so. I will admit however I certainly would like an auto-inflatable.

tight line
05-23-2012, 10:53 PM
started wearing one in my inflatible. use my Jetpilot wakeboard life jacket, it is not certified but i float fine in it, alot skinnier, and more comfortable. I will catch one for the two fellows that passed at Coal Lake, very sad wakeup call. RIP.

05-23-2012, 10:59 PM
started wearing one in my inflatible. use my Jetpilot wakeboard life jacket, it is not certified but i float fine in it, alot skinnier, and more comfortable. I will catch one for the two fellows that passed at Coal Lake, very sad wakeup call. RIP.

Thats what brought this Thread in and I searched , and there was nothing else like it . This is a good thread .

Yéil
05-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Always have, and plan to continue doing so. I will admit however I certainly would like an auto-inflatable.

If you go over to an auto-inflatable add on a xenec strobe light - waterproof and can be seen for 3.5 km. It weight 8 grams. Will flash for a solid 8 hours. We were able to locate a floundering and DIW fishing boat off the Grand Banks because three of the crew had strobe lights on.

05-23-2012, 11:03 PM
If you go over to an auto-inflatable add on a xenec strobe light - waterproof and can be seen for 3.5 km. It weight 8 grams. Will flash for a solid 8 hours. We were able to locate a floundering and DIW fishing boat off the Grand Banks because three of the crew had strobe lights on.

I saw those but cannot find them , do you know who carrys them ? I was thinking about attaching one to my life Jackets and Kill switch lanyard .

chubbdarter
05-23-2012, 11:12 PM
if the boat is on water, everyone has a inflatable pfd on. Dont like the rules you can always fish from shore. You can tell me your a Olympic swimmer all you want it wont change my mind.

just as important there is always 2 Scotty life lines in the boat in the ready.

HunterDave
05-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Only when I need to, I use my judgement.

x2 Yeah, I pretty much try to use common sense. Then again, I don't wear goggles like I should when I weed-eat or cut wood on the mitre saw like I should either. I wouldn't fault anyone for utilizing any protective equipment fulltime though......you can't go wrong taking extra precautions. My generation was brought up riding bikes without helmets, going outside without sunscreen, etc, etc, etc. It's a wonder that we've lived this long anyway.

I voted no but sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.....it just depends on the situation.

Yéil
05-23-2012, 11:43 PM
I saw those but cannot find them , do you know who carrys them ? I was thinking about attaching one to my life Jackets and Kill switch lanyard .

I usually get my stuff from Diversworld in Halifax.

http://www.diversworld.ca/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=86&category_id=23&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

05-23-2012, 11:44 PM
I usually get my stuff from Diversworld in Halifax.

http://www.diversworld.ca/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=86&category_id=23&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Ive seen those around but cant think of where , Probably Cabelas , maybe Bass pro .

Fishhound1
05-24-2012, 09:18 AM
In the past the life jackets were so uncomfortable I never wore one, my wife bought me one that inflates as soon as it goes 4" under the water,

The life jacket is so comfortable you don't know you have it on, several times I have got home and walked in the house with it still on

I fish on Okanagan Lake, a high percentage of people who fall out of their boats and drown in the lake are never found, wearing a life jacket ensures if you do drown at least they will find your body

anthony5
05-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Spent 18 years in N.W Ont, and always had to wear one of those bulky things as a kid:angry3: Guided fishermen for 5 years at my uncles fishing camp and the largest % of drownings were from people not wearing a PDF of some kind, not because they could not swim but because in a moving boat that has capsized and they fell out and were disoriented and automatically swam the wrong way(to the bottom). Moving boats at speed or rough water will now wear a life jacket,at anchor or calm evening trolling not likely, but always have enough handy just in case, I`m in South AB.

Red Bullets
05-24-2012, 09:27 PM
I once learned the hard way about dumping a canoe with out a life jacket on. I had a life jacket in the canoe as well as my fishing rod, tackle box and cooler.
It was a perfectly calm day and I just managed to shift my bodyweight the wrong way and bloop. I was fortunately only in 6 feet of water and am good in the water. I managed to get my breath and bearings and was able to drag the canoe to the shallows and right it. The anchor had also anchored itself so that I had to pull it up to the upside down canoe before I could go anywhere.

The lessons I learnt that day were :

1. that a life jacket is just that. Also extremely hard to put on when in the water. Had the water been colder, the time I spent in the water would have got me.

2. secure your load, be it fishing gear, or cameras or coolers. I lost my fishing rod and tackle box. Somewhere in the area on the bottom of the lake is a rod and tackle box with 500 dollars worth of hooks in it.

3. In a canoe, the water does not have to be rough and wavy to capsize your way into the reality of a watery dilemma.

4. I wear glasses and somehow they did not fall off. I am still able to see without them but I now realise that a person that does lose their eyeglasses from capsizing a boat has a bigger handicap of loss of vision. Try finding the shore then.

5. I thought I knew it all about being safe and competent in the water, but the lake taught me the biggest lesson in logical thinking..... WEAR YOUR PDF ALWAYS.

BigBuck$
05-25-2012, 10:20 AM
I SOMETIMES wear life jackets and I know I should ALWAYS wear one.

Here are the places I wear lifejackets:

Any water sports
Off shore West Coast
Big Water - Arrow Lake BC, Athapap MB, Slave Lake AB, Lac LaRonge SK etc
Cold water - Early Spring Late Fall
Rough Water

When I don't wear a PFD:

Anchored
Trolling calm water

I work with a guy that used to work for Fish & Wildlife, according to him most drowning victims are male and usually found with their pants un zipped. It makes sense if you slip and whack your head while taking a wiz off the back of the boat you are in big trouble.