PDA

View Full Version : Crestliner/Free Spirit Marine

jefferson
03-28-2008, 08:20 AM
I was wondering about current opinions of Free Spirit Marine, and Crestliner. We're looking at a 1700 Superhawk from Free Spirit. Anyone own one of these boats, or had experience with Free Spirit? We're hoping this is the boat for us for a long time.

Right now, we're looking at the 90 2 Stroke, or the 115 Optimax.

Any thoughts/advice?

JohninAB
03-28-2008, 08:49 AM
I just picked up a boat from them for my sister, the Crestliner 1600 SC. Seemed like good people to deal with, their prices were bout the best we found and they include everything in your boat purchase whereas a lot of dealers do not (ie at some places you had to pay extra for the spare tire for the trailer, Free Spirit includes this in their price along with 4 life jackets, docking rope, battereies for trolling motor and cranking, first aid kit, safety kit and 2 dock bumpers). Do know if you have not got a boat from them by now, you may be waiting for awhile to get one but that is pretty standard across the board at this time of the year. The trolling motor they supply you with is a Trojan Deep Cycle so it is not some cheapo brand either.

As far as the motor, I would recommend the Optimax as it is a better motor than the plain jane 2 stroke.

As far as Crestliner boats are concerned, they are highly rated and built by the same company who builds Lunds. Lifetime warranty on the hull. I rank Crestliner, Lund and Princecraft as the top 3 in my books for aluminum boats.

jefferson
03-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the info, John- I read your previous posts on Free Spirit, as well. It does sound like we'll be waiting a while, but that's okay; we're trading in our current boat, so at least we've got something to hit the water in until our Crestliner arrives.

Wondering if you can elaborate a bit for me; why would you consider the Optimax a better engine than the original 2-stroke? I'm not too current on the technology. I would assume the emissions would be better; would the performance suffer?

chuck0039
03-28-2008, 09:01 AM
My buddy bought his 19 ft tournement boat from them. He like the service he said it felt like a family run business that care about the customer. The only problems he had was the pass thru window rubbed when closed and the travel tarp ripped where the post goes. Free spirit fixed everything with no complaints or problems.

JohninAB
03-28-2008, 09:58 AM
The Optimax has a better emissions system plus is fuel injected and would get better fuel mileage too I would assume. Also it has a better factory warranty then the plain jane 2 stroke. Has a belt driven alternator as well so puts out more amps for batteries. That is all that comes to my mind right now. With the 90 hp 2 stroke, if it came From Crestliner mounted on the boat as a package, then it would get covered under Crestliner's 3 year warranty, otherwise it is only one year warranty on it, whereas the Optimax is at least 3years from Mercury. Plus the upgrade in HP would make a huge difference as well in the performance of your boat. I would have went with the 75 Optimax on my boat but the extra cost right now for me and the other bills I had held me back for this year. Next year I hope to upgrade to the Optimax.

dugh
03-28-2008, 05:45 PM
I think Free Spirit is OK. Like other businesses they are probably short staffed. My wife and I have a 2007 1700 Mirage, we love it. Its a blast. Crestliner builds a nice boat.
Doug

jefferson
03-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks to all; some very helpful stuff here, I appreciate it. I was wondering about the weight of the 115 Optimax v. the 90 2 Stroke- would the extra 100lbs of weight make the upgrade in HP a little less effective? I've also heard that the Optimax would have to be serviced by a pro, whereas I've been able to do a lot of the work on my 50 HP 2 stroke myself.

Doug; I think the Mirage is very similar to the Superhawk, from what I've seen. What engine do you have on yours, and how does it perform?

Thanks again!

Waxy
03-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Go Optimax. I guarantee you won't regret it.

The extra hp alone is worth the upgrade, there's nothing worse than an underpowered boat.

The advantages of the Opti make it a no brainer. You'll practically save the difference in up front cost back in fuel/oil consumption, it will smoke way less, it will start easier, it will idle better, it's much quieter, and it's more powerful all through the powerband.

The difference in weight is negligable, it has a better warranty, and resale will be much better as well.

It's new techology vs. old, and in this case, the new technology is truly superior. The Mercury Optimax is consistently rated #1 for customer satisfaction.

Waxy

P.S. I have no affiliation with Mercury, I'm just a real happy Optimax owner.

P.P.S. I'm a Lund guy myself, but Crestliner does make a nice boat.

chuck0039
03-29-2008, 11:04 AM
The advantages of the Opti make it a no brainer. You'll practically save the difference in up front cost back in fuel/oil consumption, it will smoke way less, it will start easier, it will idle better, it's much quieter, and it's more powerful all through the powerband.

My buddy has a 200 hp suzuki on his crestliner and you can not hear that thing run. it is as quite as a car. I think it is like a vehicle you just put gas in it and go. Every so many hours you change the oil in it. no more oil gas mix.

Jefferson put on what you want for brand name. Waxy is right an underpowered boat sucks so go with good HP. but don't rule out suzuki from what i have seen that is a nice motor as well and easy on fuel, depending how it is driven.

Winch101
03-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Am I missing something here , why wouldnt you go to a 4 strk .

I have a 1650 .07 Crest. with 90 4 strk , goes over 40 mph , trolls down nice ( for a ninety ) I have owned a doz mercs over 50 hp and mostly lunds .

But that 4 strk , no smoke , no oil , They are already taliking in the USA about no service on 2 strks .. a little cheaper but !

jefferson
03-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks again to all; we're going up Monday to visit Free Spirit Marine so my wife and kids can see the boat. I told my wife to just take my word for it, but that didn't really go over :rolleyes:

Waxy; I talked to the outboard tech from Free Spirit, and he strongly recommended the Optimax over the 4 Stroke, and even suggested that the old tech 2 Stroke was still a very strong option. In fact, he said he personally would rather have a 2 stroke, for ease of repairs and maintenance. Not much potential hidden motivation in that for him, as the 2 stroke and Opti would each put less $ in the dealership's pocket, both up front and on possible repairs/maintenance. I took that opinion seriously, along with other things.

I think we'll likely go with the Optimax, and may go with the extra HP; I really appreciate all the helpful advice, it has made my decision easier!

jefferson
03-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Oops...the bit about 4 strokes in my last post was intended for "winch101", not "waxy". Sorry!

dugh
03-30-2008, 07:35 AM
Jefferson, we have the Merc. 115 4 stroke and a 9.9 4 stroke kicker. It's my first larger size boat so I have nothing to compare it to. We do about 32 mph when all loaded up. With the 4 stroke the boat comes with a higher/deeper transom which I felt would help in the rougher water. Once again I am a rookie boatsman, but after 1 season we are very happy with it. Good luck
Doug

Winch101
03-30-2008, 09:23 AM
There has to be alot of 2 strks and optimax kicking around .

I know last year some 4 strks were tough to come by

thats one of the reasons it took so long to get your boat ...

I willing to bet there are some factory incentives to push those

motors . The optimax might be a little quicker out of the hole ,

but man , no smoke , you can drink the water out of that 4 strk .

Go to Boat test .com join up and see the testing ...

Deeper transom , quieter ....

I went to the boat web site , 1300lb boat + 33 gals gas + ( now here is where
it gets tricky , when you take woman boating add 300lbs . of stuff you dont need )+
the kids .etc. etc.
I have two friends with this hull and 115hp. 4 strk , that is the min. motor for this boat
go on walleye central and read the posts about 4 strks and fishing ..

gunned
03-30-2008, 09:37 AM
I heard that some areas are starting to ban the 2 strokes, like some provincial parks and stuff. Anyone know if that is true? That would certainly make a difference, and an indication of things to come...

Waxy
03-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Not true.

The new directed-injected 2 strokes (Optimax, ETEC, etc... ) are completely emissions compliant and just as "enviro friendly" as the 4 strokes.

Waxy

jefferson
03-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Interestingly, the 115 Optimax is the one they don't have in stock; if I went with the 115 4 stroke, they've got at least one that fits our needs. The price difference isn't huge between the two 115s, but the 90 Optimax is a fair bit less. The 90 HP 2 Stroke (not Opti) is about $2400 less. Makes the decision...interesting :rolleye2:

Thanks for the website; I'll check that out.

jefferson
03-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Also, both the Optimax and the 4 Stroke have/require 25 inch transoms, from what I've read.

Waxy
03-31-2008, 08:49 AM
Interestingly, the 115 Optimax is the one they don't have in stock; if I went with the 115 4 stroke, they've got at least one that fits our needs. The price difference isn't huge between the two 115s, but the 90 Optimax is a fair bit less. The 90 HP 2 Stroke (not Opti) is about $2400 less. Makes the decision...interesting :rolleye2:

Thanks for the website; I'll check that out.

I don't think you can really go wrong with the Opti or 4 Stroke 115. They both have their pros and cons, but they'll both serve you well.

That will be the best $2400 you'll ever spend... :D

Waxy

jefferson
03-31-2008, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the links and opinions; I think we're going to go with the Superhawk 1700, and the 115 Optimax, and we're going to Free Spirit Marine. It means we'll have to wait a couple months for our boat to come in, but I can also order it exactly the way we want it. I have no need for a stereo upgrade, that's for sure.

Thanks again; much appreciated!

gage251
03-31-2008, 08:59 PM
Yeah I just bought the 1700 superhawk with a 115 4 stroke and i'm DYING to get out with it. Let me know what you think of the opti on that boat! Maybe we can race and put the talking to an end!:D

Mulestalker
03-31-2008, 10:58 PM
I have the 1750 Sport Angler with the 115 4stk and have no regrets about the 4stk.Not super quick out of the hole but gets it done,cruises 40-41mph gps with one guy,tackle,etc.Smoke free,quiet,touch the key and it starts.
Heard the Opti's lack the bottom end torque,like all 2 strokes so really no gain, unless you mess with vented props,etc.I believe one advantage may be trolling,using the smart gauges one can turn the idle speed down for better trolling speeds.

jefferson
03-31-2008, 11:59 PM
Ordered our boat today; can't wait for delivery time!! Man, this feels like Christmas- 7 years old, I know what's under the tree, but I have to wait until morning...only "morning" is like two months away!!!
BTW, Thane down at Free Spirit Marine was very helpful; I'd recommend them to anyone. Their secretary (I think) even played with my kids for a while, and then found some chocolate for them while we worked things out on the boat. Great job by them, let me tell you!!

JohninAB
04-01-2008, 11:54 AM
jefferson, congrats on the boat purchase. Thane and the staff at Free Spirit Marine were awesome when i dealt with them and picked my boat up. Not sure how you are going to handle waiting that long for your boat as I waited two weeks and that nearly killed me.:lol:

jefferson
04-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Alright, no more mocking smilies :cry:

SNAPFisher
04-01-2008, 12:41 PM
No worries. I ordered my Fishhawk 1600 sc at the same time as you last year. By July I was out with it on the water. I think your going to really enjoy it.

Tredeb
04-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Heard the Opti's lack the bottom end torque,like all 2 strokes so really no gain, unless you mess with vented props,etc.I believe one advantage may be trolling,using the smart gauges one can turn the idle speed down for better trolling speeds.

Huh?

When I was buying my boat last year, a dealer told me an opti would have more snort than a 4 stroke when it came to water sports. Maybe it comes from weight difference, but in all my experience, the bottom end is one place where a two stroke still shines.

I have friends with optis and fourstrokes and they are all happy with their boats. From what I can see, I wouldn't change much on any of their boats either.

For the record, I have an etec, but I looked into mercs a fair bit when I was purchasing.

trev

jefferson
04-01-2008, 05:07 PM
That's exactly what we were told by Thane at free spirit marine; the two stroke will out-perform the four. We went with the two stroke at his urging, even though I was planning on going with the 4 when I saw how close they were in price. I appreciated the advice, especially given that it wasn't making him any money; I saved $$ with the 2 stroke.

Mulestalker
04-02-2008, 10:13 AM
:huh: 2 stroke needs rpm to build torque, outboards can't go from idle to 5500rpm unless slippage occurs,this is why I mentioned prop venting,venting creates slip thus creates rpm,once on plane vented/non vented their is no difference.