PDA

View Full Version : Maimed trout in Diplomat Mine Pond

Nikanit
05-22-2012, 06:58 AM
Went fishing with the hubbie last Saturday night, all was awesome, a great evening, my Kerry and I slamming trout as usual, some good 2 pounders, then Kerry catches this small fellow. Kerry says "Look at this!"...and shows me this poor little rainbow. Someone has amputated his pectoral fins, then just tossed him back. It had wounds that were partially healed. Poor thing was thin and stressed. Kerry and I had no choice but to put him down. What a terrible thing to do to a young fish. What the hell! Some people sure need a good kick in the *****!!! Geez I hate cruelty in all it's forms!! :mad0100::mad0030:

Alberta Bigbore
05-22-2012, 07:02 AM
that's sick. But did you fry him up? Mmmmm trout. But ya....that ranks up there with throwing suckers in the bushes.

slivers86
05-22-2012, 07:07 AM
Sometimes ending a fishes life is best, and in this case it definitely is...

x2 on ABB though - did it taste good?

Sundancefisher
05-22-2012, 07:25 AM
Went fishing with the hubbie last Saturday night, all was awesome, a great evening, my Kerry and I slamming trout as usual, some good 2 pounders, then Kerry catches this small fellow. Kerry says "Look at this!"...and shows me this poor little rainbow. Someone has amputated his pectoral fins, then just tossed him back. It had wounds that were partially healed. Poor thing was thin and stressed. Kerry and I had no choice but to put him down. What a terrible thing to do to a young fish. What the hell! Some people sure need a good kick in the *****!!! Geez I hate cruelty in all it's forms!! :mad0100::mad0030:

It could also of been stocked recently...wore it's fins off on the raceway concrete then released but was not in the best shape. I can't see someone taking the time to go fishing than do something like that.

Sometimes the correct answer is the simplest. I will keep my faith in fellow fishermen.

Cheers

Sun

LacLaBicheNS
05-22-2012, 07:38 AM
do they not still clip a fin of a stock fish?

Lefty-Canuck
05-22-2012, 07:43 AM
do they not still clip a fin of a stock fish?

They often (always?) clip the adipose fin in stocked trout......not the main dorsal or pectoral fins.

I agree the fish fins were likely worn down during the rearing/stocking process.....it happens.

LC

Pudelpointer
05-22-2012, 09:19 AM
It could also of been stocked recently...wore it's fins off on the raceway concrete then released but was not in the best shape. I can't see someone taking the time to go fishing than do something like that.

Sometimes the correct answer is the simplest. I will keep my faith in fellow fishermen.

Cheers

Sun

Bingo! Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Lots of stocked trout look like this, often just having nubs for pectoral fins. They usually do not survive for very long as there mobility is severely compromised.

Don't be so quick to judge others.

Bhflyfisher
05-22-2012, 09:24 AM
I have caught a few 2-3 year fish out of muir with missing pectorals. But their adipose wasn't clipped.

Nikanit
05-22-2012, 09:26 AM

Cheers

Sun
Nope, I've seen that before as a volunteer at a fish hatchery in North Vancouver, and this looked like an amputation because of the angle of cut
...and I've fished this lake lots before and never seen such a thing. I checked to see if there was any wear in any other fins underneath him, and there wasn't. It really didn't look like worn down nubs...it looked raw and ragged, there is no cement runways at this pond, who knows what happened to this fella.

NSR Monger
05-22-2012, 09:50 AM
that's sick. But did you fry him up? Mmmmm trout. But ya....that ranks up there with throwing suckers in the bushes.

people throw suckers in the bushes?!?!? wtf is wrong with people, fishing is a privilege not a right

quiteeye
05-22-2012, 01:19 PM
I was talking to a gentlemen around Camrose who is a pretty big part of the stocking program for my area... This happens all the time! its not really a bad thing.. And its almost a garuntee that someone hadn't done this to the fish.. When you put a 1000 3"-10" trout in a container for relocating them, they bite there fins off. lol its sounds aweful but i asked him "why do i catch trout with missing fins. do you chop em at the hatchery?" He laughed and said "no.. when we transport the fish. quite often they just grab on to each others fins." I started laughing in dis belief. he says "for whatever reason they just find the need to bite a fin and hold on." also mentioning that "sometimes it looks like they let go, but its just cause there fin had been chewed off. " frustrating i know catching fish with missing fins. But next time you fish a stocked pond.. take a look at there fins and probably more often the not there'll be one with a chunk missing.. Hope this helps Cheers!

Vega21
05-22-2012, 01:39 PM
Dont think anyone would take the time to do this

walking buffalo
05-22-2012, 05:26 PM
Wasn't me. :scared:

Without seeing the fish, my bet would be on damage from the rearing facility
and/or the transport truck/pipe.

people throw suckers in the bushes?!?!? wtf is wrong with people, fishing is a privilege not a right

No. Fishing and hunting are a Right to Alberta citizens. These rights are not very strongly worded in The Hunting, Fishing and Trapping Heritage Act, but

Right to hunt and fish
1(1) A person has a right to hunt, fish and trap in accordance with the law.

I bring this up because we Must fight for our right to be a part of the natural ecosystem. NEVER allow hunting and fishing to become just a priviledge, keep it a RIGHT!

silverdoctor
05-22-2012, 05:33 PM

I've met people over the years that hate bull trout, they catch one and it's into the bushes... can only ask them not to but i'm sure it's on deaf ears.