PDA

View Full Version : People eating suckers?!?!?

NSR Monger
05-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Made the mistake of heading down to the mouth of the whitemud creek yesterday, only to find about 20-25 people fishing within 100 yards of each other. Said hi to a few ppl then noticed a bag of fish flopping in about an inch of water. Went over to take a peak and check for walleye but nope only about 6-8 suckers and about 4-6 goldeye. It was a group of 3-4 older asians keeping them. Disturbing no matter how you look at it, why do they want 6-8 suckers from the river?!?!(or even the goldeye) Hope they don't own a restaurant!!! Although they had all legal fish they still took off minutes after FW showed up and started checking licenses! So many people there he couldnt make it over in time to check them! Mostly because of the 10 people or so he checked he handed out about 7 barbed hooked warnings! 2 groups of ppl didnt even have pliers for pinching them!!!! So I decided to head to dawson park for a quickie and found this spot was also packed but atleast my spot was still open. Shortly after I was there a guy caught a nice size goldeye, before he could even get it off the hook another asian fellow RAN over and asked to keep it, at which point he hit it in the head with a rock and put it in a safeway bag in his backpack. Now i'm not racist (i'm learning mandarin right now and getting pretty good actually) but the only 3 times I have seen fish kept from the river all 3 times it was asians, and I've been to china as well, they really will eat almost anything!!!

sureshot
05-22-2012, 10:26 AM
When I was a kid we used to keep goldeye out of the river my buddies mom used to can and pickle them it was actually pretty good. but that was also almost 30 years ago.

Andy

NSR Monger
05-22-2012, 10:30 AM
When I was a kid we used to keep goldeye out of the river my buddies mom used to can and pickle them it was actually pretty good. but that was also almost 30 years ago.

Andy

If I went upstream. mayb closer to rocky mountain house I would eat fish from the river, personally I think goldeye look like they would be delicious, my father in in law said the same thing when I showed him, he thought they would be good eating fish! Are golds found in lakes or just the river?? I hear walleye is the best fish in alberta to eat, but just from appearance wise, goldeye look like they would taste better, I'm obviously wrong tho, you dont need tags to harvest golds hahah

sureshot
05-22-2012, 10:36 AM
I actually prefer jack and perch over walleye. The only thing better than those is smoked lake trout.

Andy

BeeGuy
05-22-2012, 11:17 AM
It should be more shocking that people eat crab and lobster, and actually consider them to be high quality table fare.

Crustaceans eat dead people, dead rotting whales, and poo.

Save your shock for people targeting chub for the dinner table. This is nothing new. We've been eating out way down the food chain since before the industrial revolution began.

sureshot
05-22-2012, 11:41 AM
It should be more shocking that people eat crab and lobster, and actually consider them to be high quality table fare.

Save your shock for people targeting chub for the dinner table. This is nothing new. We've been eating out way down the food chain since before the industrial revolution began.

I didnt know that about the crab and lobster.

Andy

NSRfishing
05-22-2012, 11:44 AM
I will keep about six suckers during the spawn every year they are the best bait for the river also i think northern pike are best eating fish

crosman177
05-22-2012, 12:02 PM
chinaman love em. i dont got a problem with it. i got to know this guy pretty good last fall he seemd to target the bottom dwellers. :sHa_shakeshout:

rokon69
05-22-2012, 12:04 PM
When I was a kid we are lots of suckers caught in late winter. They are exellent when taken from cold water. My mom canned them & my dad smoked them. All fish are edible but some people don't know that.

BeeGuy
05-22-2012, 12:08 PM
When I was a kid we are lots of suckers caught in late winter. They are exellent when taken from cold water. My mom canned them & my dad smoked them. All fish are edible but some people don't know that.

some fish are poisonous. and I've eaten wrasse a couple times while hiking coasts in different parts of the world. Inedible in my opinion.

I've yet to eat a sucker, but am looking forward to trying one.

I'm always surprised by people who eat panfish; sunfish, rockbass, crappie etc

Walleye101
05-22-2012, 12:44 PM
This is why I choose not to eat fish from a restaurant. You just never know where they come from????:sick:

Vega21
05-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Im asian and yes we do keep the fish.:scared0018:

Gust
05-22-2012, 01:28 PM
I didnt know that about the crab and lobster.

Andy

I thought lobster were part of the cocckroach family,,, but, I used to live near Deep Cove B.C and there were always traps in the Cove, which some older locals would call that variety being caught poo-crab.

NSR Monger
05-22-2012, 01:30 PM
I will keep about six suckers during the spawn every year they are the best bait for the river also i think northern pike are best eating fish

how big are these bait suckers you use?

coyotezh
05-22-2012, 01:47 PM
I don't see anything wrong if fishermen keep fish without breaching the fishing regulation. You think you cannot eat it, but someone else may love it....who knows? I feel the cigarettes stinks and many of fishermen love to have one or two while fishing....

I have tried to taste most of the fish in alberta. Walleye is the best, of course.. then perch, then to your surprise is the sucker, then burbot, then pike, then goldeye........ trout is not being assessed.....yet..:sHa_shakeshout:

I believe it's all depending on how you cook them.....if you guys knew my receipt, I guarantee you will try to keep every fish you caught......:sHa_shakeshout: Recently I brought some pieces of smoked pike (one of my wife's magic receipt:sHa_shakeshout:) to my work places and let the girls and boys to try them out......they all became crazy eating machine including the ones never eat a fish.....Hohoho.... fish is a way better food than anything else... you just have to cook them right... otherwise, if you cook them wrong, fish usually will turn to be so stinky and you would never want to touch them in the rest of your life.....and the fish is, in deed, difficult to cook.

NSRfishing
05-22-2012, 02:09 PM
how big are these bait suckers you use?

i cut them up

NSR Monger
05-22-2012, 02:54 PM
I don't see anything wrong if fishermen keep fish without breaching the fishing regulation. You think you cannot eat it, but someone else may love it....who knows? I feel the cigarettes stinks and many of fishermen love to have one or two while fishing....

I have tried to taste most of the fish in alberta. Walleye is the best, of course.. then perch, then to your surprise is the sucker, then burbot, then pike, then goldeye........ trout is not being assessed.....yet..:sHa_shakeshout:

I believe it's all depending on how you cook them.....if you guys knew my receipt, I guarantee you will try to keep every fish you caught......:sHa_shakeshout: Recently I brought some pieces of smoked pike (one of my wife's magic receipt:sHa_shakeshout:) to my work places and let the girls and boys to try them out......they all became crazy eating machine including the ones never eat a fish.....Hohoho.... fish is a way better food than anything else... you just have to cook them right... otherwise, if you cook them wrong, fish usually will turn to be so stinky and you would never want to touch them in the rest of your life.....and the fish is, in deed, difficult to cook.

this is less about taste and more about are they safe?!?! (although i'll agree i personally dont find them appetizing) a sucker from a clean lake is one thing, a sucker from the nsr is another.

AK47
05-22-2012, 03:08 PM
I keep only long nose suckers and shorthead red horses from Red Deer river for smoker. Absolutely delicious if you do not mind picking out some bones. Tried other sucker species and yes you can eat them but white suckers or silver redhorses do not taste that good.

Anthonydamore
05-22-2012, 04:59 PM
as long as theyre not keeping the walleye

Winch101
05-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Canned in a sealer jar with onions , garlic , dill, tomato juice

Taste just like BC Slamon ( correct spelling ) almost as good as smoked Goldeeye.

All Manitoba taste delights.

Cowpuncher3000
05-22-2012, 06:32 PM
All fish are edible but some people don't know that.

All fresh water fish are edible, but you cannot eat them raw
But
Not all saltwater fish are edible, but you can eat all edible saltwater fish raw

Paul C
05-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Don't catch too many of those bottom dwellers. Those fish have to clean up of heavy metals laying on the bottom of the mighty N.S.R. :scared0018:

KegRiver
05-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Well, first I'm not Asian, more Hienz 57 then anything, but we call ourselves Canadian first and Scots second.

About Suckers and Goldeye. I eat a lot of suckers and Goldeye while growing up. Goldeye are one of my favourite fish, to catch and to eat.
I like the flavour of them, but the flesh is mushy and the bones are fine which a lot of people don't like. Doesn't bother me at all.

Dad used to net suckers. He smoked lots and we loved them that way.
Sometimes mom would can a few dozen jars of them. As far as I'm concerned, they were as good as any canned fish.

These days I still target Goldeye, for the table. I haven't caught a Sucker in years, but would not hesitate if there were someplace close where I could catch them.

There are millions of them in the Peace River, but the techniques used down south to catch them don't work up here. I've tried.
The only method I know of that does work around here is nets and it's illegal to put a net in the Peace.

NSR Monger
05-22-2012, 06:55 PM
Well, first I'm not Asian, more Hienz 57 then anything, but we call ourselves Canadian first and Scots second.

About Suckers and Goldeye. I eat a lot of suckers and Goldeye while growing up. Goldeye are one of my favourite fish, to catch and to eat.
I like the flavour of them, but the flesh is mushy and the bones are fine which a lot of people don't like. Doesn't bother me at all.

Dad used to net suckers. He smoked lots and we loved them that way.
Sometimes mom would can a few dozen jars of them. As far as I'm concerned, they were as good as any canned fish.

These days I still target Goldeye, for the table. I haven't caught a Sucker in years, but would not hesitate if there were someplace close where I could catch them.

There are millions of them in the Peace River, but the techniques used down south to catch them don't work up here. I've tried.
The only method I know of that does work around here is nets and it's illegal to put a net in the Peace.

too make this clear, which I already tried to, I am talking about NSR SUCKERS CAUGHT IN EDMONTON CITY LIMITS

Cowpuncher3000
05-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Eww, why would anyone eat anything found within city limits, let alone the suckers.

Oh, and cook them just like a ling cod. Boiled!

catnthehat
05-22-2012, 07:00 PM

X2!
Cat

KegRiver
05-22-2012, 07:58 PM
too make this clear, which I already tried to, I am talking about NSR SUCKERS CAUGHT IN EDMONTON CITY LIMITS

I understand.

I would be hesitant to keep any fish from anywhere close to that city.

Oddly enough though, the only time I've had a problem with a fish, was some Goldeye I caught in the Red Deer out by Alix. I broke out in hives after eating one. I never found out what caused it but it is the only time I've had an allergic reaction to anything.

coyotezh
05-22-2012, 08:18 PM

1. you do know fish travel a lot and move around a lot. they migrate! so the fish in edmonton city today may prent around dayton or even Moutain house 3 or 6 weeks later.

2. I called the city today to ask this speicific question. a biologist answered the phone and said: based on their study, one meal a week is totally fine.....

KegRiver
05-22-2012, 08:51 PM
a biologist answered the phone and said: based on their study, one meal a week is totally fine.....

That statement would worry me.
If it isn't safe to eat more then one a week, in my opinion, they aren't safe, period.

On the other hand, government people are often more concerned with covering their own butts then ours.
It's possible they are 100% safe but maybe the biologists are 100% sure of that.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Made the mistake of heading down to the mouth of the whitemud creek yesterday, only to find about 20-25 people fishing within 100 yards of each other. Said hi to a few ppl then noticed a bag of fish flopping in about an inch of water. Went over to take a peak and check for walleye but nope only about 6-8 suckers and about 4-6 goldeye. It was a group of 3-4 older asians keeping them. Disturbing no matter how you look at it, why do they want 6-8 suckers from the river?!?!(or even the goldeye) Hope they don't own a restaurant!!! Although they had all legal fish they still took off minutes after FW showed up and started checking licenses! So many people there he couldnt make it over in time to check them! Mostly because of the 10 people or so he checked he handed out about 7 barbed hooked warnings! 2 groups of ppl didnt even have pliers for pinching them!!!! So I decided to head to dawson park for a quickie and found this spot was also packed but atleast my spot was still open. Shortly after I was there a guy caught a nice size goldeye, before he could even get it off the hook another asian fellow RAN over and asked to keep it, at which point he hit it in the head with a rock and put it in a safeway bag in his backpack. Now i'm not racist (i'm learning mandarin right now and getting pretty good actually) but the only 3 times I have seen fish kept from the river all 3 times it was asians, and I've been to china as well, they really will eat almost anything!!!

You can keep Walleye out of Whitemud creek at the river as long as it was caught in the creek and not the river .

BGSH
05-22-2012, 09:13 PM
You can keep Walleye out of Whitemud creek at the river as long as it was caught in the creek and not the river .

Not for long :)

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Not for long :)

According to who ? Fish and Wildlife have been trying to get it changed for several years . And they will not change it . But it would be nice for the enforcement stand point .

RavYak
05-22-2012, 09:42 PM
That statement would worry me.
If it isn't safe to eat more then one a week, in my opinion, they aren't safe, period.

On the other hand, government people are often more concerned with covering their own butts then ours.
It's possible they are 100% safe but maybe the biologists are 100% sure of that.

You should likely try to avoid fish if that is the case.

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/guide.asp

Tuna, Halibut, Cod, Perch, Bass, Lobster for example all fall in the 6 times per month or less category.

Mercury content intake is highly overrated, the main thing to remember is that it mainly affects children and pregnant women and as such they should avoid large amounts of consumption.

I bet you could eat NSR sucker fish for supper every day of the week and not have any serious consequences because of it.

NSR Monger
05-22-2012, 11:34 PM

yup you are right bigjohn, asked the fw officer, though I was at the mouth so the fw officer said basically anything caught b4 the bridge about 40 yards from the mouth would be considered the nsr.....not my opinion just relaying the mssg, makes sense tho, you need to set a line

KegRiver
05-23-2012, 12:27 AM
I bet you could eat NSR sucker fish for supper every day of the week and not have any serious consequences because of it.

That would be my guess too. But it does make me nervous when professionals say things like that.

As far as the species you mention goes, they are not part of my normal diet.
In fact there is only two you mention that I have ever eaten, in my life, and then, only very rarely.

climid
05-23-2012, 11:14 AM
even if suckers taste bad, you can still boil them for fishstock, a basic ingredient in many asian and european soups.

NSR Monger
05-23-2012, 11:50 AM
doesnt the toilet plunger mouth throw you guys off :snapoutofit: I understand not all fish look appetizing even if they are delicious (halibut) but I gotta draw the line at NSR SUCKERS, thats one book I WILL judge by the cover :fighting0030: