PDA

View Full Version : birch and yellowhead lake

fishman
05-22-2012, 12:42 PM
I am wondering if anybody has fished these two lakes this year and how they did even if u ice fished it as i am curious of the numbers they are stocking.............thanks for any input

BeeGuy
05-22-2012, 01:48 PM
YH got pounded daily through the ice. I'd be surprised if there was many fish left in there.

jacenbeers
05-22-2012, 02:06 PM
There is nothing left in there and they dont plan on stocking it again for 5 years.

BeeGuy
05-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I heard that too. Worst tasting freshwater fish I've ever had IME.

fish gunner
05-22-2012, 02:34 PM
IME they both get poached hard during winter, both still contain fish. birch is the better of the two. the odd large brookie can be had, they are fished hard so they are very cautious. tight lines.

fishman
05-22-2012, 05:36 PM
The reason i was asking is i am trying to figure out if the 3n brookies are harder to catch through the ice then the 2n are....but looking at the stocking guide from 2009 to 2011 they stock less fish since they have stocked the 3n's

birch 2009 15800 3n ebt 9 cm
birch 2010 5000 3ntp ebt 8 cm
birch 2011 7900 3n ebt 10 cm

yellowhead lake

2009 17400 3n ebt 9 cm
2010 0
2011 8700 3n ebt 9 cm

so looking at birch they use to stock it every year with 2n brookies if remember right with around 18000 every year(somebody will correct me if i am wrong i am sure) so in three years they would have put in 54000 fish and with the 3n's 28700 fish alot less they use to stock.

looking at yellowhead lake i cant remember if it was stock every year or not i moved to this area in 2010 but use to come fish these lakes for years....so yellow head was stocked 26100 fish in three years i am pretty sure alot less fish.

One think i was trying to understand do they need to stock it with alot less 3n brookies as they eat alot more food and live alot longer or are they cheaping out........another thing i was looking at was are the 3n brookies as easy to catch through the ice as the 2n..( i havnt iced for years so that is why i am asking) and another thing i was looking at is the ice fishermen population going up on these lakes and is there poaching....

When i moved here in 2010 i fished birch many times and had great luck and marked many fish and in 2011 i fished it 3 times and did not catch a fish and i only mark a hand full of fish in three times fishing the lake on my sonar.........i have been a brookie fishing nut for quite a few lakes and fished a hard lake in whitecourt for brookies where i use to live and had great luck i am talking fishing it since 1982............so in all i am trying to understand what is going on with lake and not persuming anything as i am willing to aprroach the governemnt on doing something about these two lakes how many brook trout lakes are in this area so i am wanting to protect these as they are capable of producing big fish.

Sorry for being long winded but this is something near to me.......and i hope to hear your input on this matter

Thanks Garry Aka fishman

fish gunner
05-22-2012, 07:05 PM
they both get thumped by meat anglers & poachers. no cell signal for me at both. one guy last year had at least 4-6 lines spread out he was quading between them 100s of meters apart. this year will be differnt I have access to a booster for mike phones. that with, hay tell & stuff. my friends will be out there a lot more. sucks to get stuck on the one vech access when fins and skins are on there way. the brookies have a weakness at certain times of the year the locals exploit.

fishman
05-22-2012, 07:23 PM
they both get thumped by meat anglers & poachers. no cell signal for me at both. one guy last year had at least 4-6 lines spread out he was quading between them 100s of meters apart. this year will be differnt I have access to a booster for mike phones. that with, hay tell & stuff. my friends will be out there a lot more. sucks to get stuck on the one vech access when fins and skins are on there way. the brookies have a weakness at certain times of the year the locals exploit.

So you are saying the 3ns are as stupid as the 2ns at ice on I baby ice fished for years not aware what they r like at ice on

iliketrout
05-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Large population close by + lack of enforcement + small lake = fished out populations, quickly

fish gunner
05-22-2012, 07:41 PM
So you are saying the 3ns are as stupid as the 2ns at ice on I baby ice fished for years not aware what they r like at ice on

not going to reveal the weakness. on the form they would be empty in a few months. it falls under poaching. there are other reasons why they take a beating. pm if you you need more sensitive info. sorry if iam a bit over cautious . I have a weak spot for specks also.

onthefly
05-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Ice fished Yellow at the of the season, no bites, nothing on the fish cam and nothing on the flasher all day. Talked to another group who saw 1 fish but no bites. I have fished it lots so I don't think it was a matter of me being in the wrong area on the lake.
As mentioned they get pounded during the ice season... Not sure why everyone keeps there limit (some even more) and can't just c&r or keep 1 from those lakes... Bookies are a good eating fish but out of there they gross, I couldn't even finish the 1 I tried, taste like mud! There is better options for filling your freezer of fish, annoying because we have so few brookie waters to fish.

fishman
05-22-2012, 10:44 PM
I thought I would get more response come on there is some knowledgeable fisherman on this site............mcloed....how about the fishing work brothers and others to

McLeod
05-23-2012, 10:20 AM
I have not fished either birch or yellowhead ..that I remember...so I can't comment if there is winterkill or other habits of the lake.. Except for certain times of the year..Brook trout can be very hard to catch especially in lakes were there is a lot of food.. The other thing is they are a schooling fish generally so if you find one you find many but that can mean in an entire lake for example the the fish are only in a few spots. There is a lake in Jasper were 95 per cent of the Brookies are in one spot most of the summer.
As far as 3n vs 2n I would think 3n would be more agressive as they would consume more food to satisify optimum growth.

tight line
05-23-2012, 11:29 PM
fished YH in my pontoon boat 2 weeks ago, first time fishing the lake...nothing... seen 5-6, 2-5lbers jump, not many fish, and very picky . seen a guy quading around Gap Poaching, the other winter...probably the same guy...what a looser.

fishman
05-24-2012, 09:18 AM
The consenus that i am getting from people that are posting and pm me is we need to monitor this lake better and change some of the things that are in place right now. It seems we have very few brook trout lakes that we have to manage them better as it seems that it only takes a hand full of people to upset the apple cart.

It seems that we make it easier to fish closer to the population and the lakes that are farther away we have the toughest rules maybe if we changed that way of thinking it would balance the trout out as we would protect the lakes close to u that we could still go catch fish and maybe we detear others to drive further.........i am looking at balancing things out not from taking things away from anybody but we have to do something as our fishery is collapsing and our fisheries either doesn't have the money or could care less.

Birch lake and Yellowhead need to be protect so any one of us that wants to go catch a brook trout during the summer or winter and have that oppurtunity

Maybe we could close these lakes from ice on until the first of January to protect the fish and take some pressure off the lake. Yes i am going to hear from the ice fishermen screw you kinda thing well i am hearing that it is the select few of icefishermen that are illegally fishing ..multi trips home a day with there catch and etc.......this way they can still have a fishery for everyone or keep going the other way and have nothing ........what would be your choice.

McLeod
05-24-2012, 09:30 AM
Maybe contact the the local Bio and ask if he is going to do any test netting
on the lakes this summer. Tell him that you feel the lakes are being overharvested and that either the numbers of fish stocked need to increase or the limit needs to be reduced to 2...

fishman
05-24-2012, 10:49 AM
Maybe contact the the local Bio and ask if he is going to do any test netting
on the lakes this summer. Tell him that you feel the lakes are being overharvested and that either the numbers of fish stocked need to increase or the limit needs to be reduced to 2...

Mcleod

I plan on talking to them and what ever it takes.....sorry but this whole thing reminds of the kid that you cant get his hand out of the cookie jar.....i havnt lived in the south that long is all as i spent most of my life in the north, we have the same things happening but at way less amount i guess it is because of the amount of people diffrence