PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Ghost Reservoir - Advice Please!

Envitro
05-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Since we got our boat last summer we've gone out to Ghost Res at least two dozen times, with three times this spring already.

After no luck, and maybe a few bites, I figured I'd ask to see if anyone has been catching lakers or rainbows at Ghost AT ALL??

We have tried the following methods:
- trolling with spoons, Rapala lures (with varying depth divers)
- trolling with downrigger with spoons (Len Thompson), Mepps Cyclops
- stopped in a spot where my fishfinder said there was a vertical column of fish, then cast out, let it drop and then reel in

We've tried a whole bunch of methods outside of jigging.

So my question is:

What methods and lures have you guys used and had succcess with at Ghost Reservoir?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

jacenbeers
05-22-2012, 02:11 PM
I have caught a bunch of brown trout out of there this year with a spoon from shore that was a perch pattern. I caught a lake whitefish on a wire worm below a bobber.

TROLLER
05-22-2012, 04:24 PM
IMHO it is one of the hardest lakes in Alberta to fish. I have spent hundreds of hours on that lake and learned the hard way. That said there are some nice browns as well as some decent lakers to be caught.

I will tell you to fish the west end past the island silver spoons seems to be a favorite for some and getting your lure down to the fish is very important. Right now as you have seen on your finder they are mostly at 8-12 ft. which is typical for this early in the year so it is important to get your lure or spoon down to the right depth if you expect any kind of luck.

When you are at the west end of the lake keep aware, there are a few spots where the depth will suddenly go from 20ft to 2ft. so keep your eye on the depth and on the water as you can see the shallow water ahead.

Bow flyman
05-22-2012, 04:33 PM
I have fished Ghost extensively over the last 20 years. I seem to have my best luck on the Brown trout. I caught a bunch of Browns the other day, but I feel I got lucky and hit a feeding school of fish. The quality of the lake trout fishery has decreased a lot in the past 10 years in both size and numbers. I do agree that it is a very tough and unforgiving fishery. It usually takes many hours to catch a fish, but it is possible.

Logan
05-22-2012, 10:47 PM
the best fishing advise I ever got about fishing Ghost was "don't".....

I have had no luck on anything BUT Ling there through the ice.

matt1o1
07-03-2012, 06:52 AM
the best fishing advise I ever got about fishing Ghost was "don't".....

I have had no luck on anything BUT Ling there through the ice.

A few of my friends were out there last month and caught a ling with a baited wireworm on the bottom, I didnt even know they had em in there. first time I saw a ling pulled in from the shore too.

Mariko's Rod
07-03-2012, 07:47 AM
I don't fish there anymore so I will tell you my secret. Use a green jig head with a white 4" double tail jig. drift with the wind and use a heavy enough head to get to bottom depending on wind speed. use some berkly trout scent on the jigs. drift the south side of the lake in about 15-20' you will get into some lakers. bring LOTS of jigs. you are doin it right if you lose 10 a day on snags.