PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on the Peace river up by Valleyview

bronco2
05-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Does anybody have any secrets or tips they'd be willing to share on fishin in the Peace river up by Valleyview. What lures, bait, anything will help. Thanx

Elkaholic523
05-22-2012, 05:23 PM
The peace river isn't in Valleyview Or near there

pickrel pat
05-22-2012, 06:57 PM
The peace river isn't in Valleyview Or near there

x2, almost an hour drive to the closest peice of the river.

KegRiver
05-22-2012, 07:45 PM
As elkoholic523 says, the Peace is nowhere near Valleyview, so I assume you must have meant some other town, or your driving a long way to go fishing.

Either way, it's kinda hard to know what advice to give without knowing what part of the river you intend to try fishing.

The river changes character considerably between Dunvegen and the town of Peace River. Different techniques apply to different portions of the river, and to different water conditions.

Some techniques work well enough to apply to most sections of the river below Dunvegan.

For instance. Fish the back eddies. In the slow water you'll find Goldeye feeding close to the surface, so bait, floated a foot or two below the surface is one way to catch them.
Walleye feed in the current break at the head of the eddy, so bouncing a jig along the bottom right in the current break is a good way to target Walleye.
Pike cruise the slower waters looking for small Goldeye, Walleye, and Chubs.
So a spoon retrieved through the middle of the eddy will sometimes draw a strike from a Jack.

Late in the day, and at night, the big Walleye move into faster water to feed. Minnows seeking to avoid being eaten will congregate in the shallow eddies along the edge of the river. The Walleye cruise the shoreline hoping to catch a minnow that strayed too far from shore.
Here a Silver Canadian Wiggle can be quiet effective when chasing these Walleyes.

If the water is relatively clear, spoons and jigs work fairly well. In dirty water such as we have now, bait is often a better choice.
Some of the tried and true favourites are; Chicken Gizzard, Beaver meat, and pieces of fish. Chub work very well as bait, and they are plentiful and easy to catch in a minnow trap.

If you are fishing upstream of Dunvegan, you would have to ask someone who has fished up there what works. My experience is all from Dunvegan downstream.

bronco2
05-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Ya i'm not sure where we're goin but I did hear Valleyview, Riverboat and peace river. Thanx for the info