PDA

View Full Version : Noob - NSR fishing

sunnyvalesmostwanted
05-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Hey guys

I dont know a ton about fishing as I have spent 90% of my time fishing with my father up at Slave Lake over the past 15 years......i know what to use for fishing from a boat at Slave for walleye....or any other lake for walleye from a boat, haha

But im really intrigued by fishing the NSR for ......well.....whatever i can catch haha....walleye, or something else. I always used my fathers extra fishing rod and his tackle as I have a very cheap shakespeare rod with shakespeare spool with some kinda grey 'threadlike' fishing line.

If I was to fish the nsr I imagine I should get a seperate reel with line specific for NSR fishing and then swap out when I go lake fishing, correct? What weight/type of fishing line should I look for for NSR fishing?

As for tackle....I have a set of jigs....some spinners, a few spoons....fairly limited. Any suggestions about a simple setup for a noob river fisherman? What about location.....I dont need to know anyones secret honeyhole....but maybe a suggestion of a decent spot for newbs to try their luck.

Thanks for any suggestions, in advance! :)

gonefishin
05-24-2012, 05:49 PM
You don't neccesarily need a seperate rod, you can use the same one for lakes and the river, especially if you're fishing for the same size of fish. Something in the 6 1/2 - 7' range medium to medium heavy action with a reel that can hold about 150yds of 8lb test will do almost anywhere.

As for what to use... your jigs, spoons and spinners will all work, as will pickeral rigs or lindy rigs baited with worms, minnows or leeches.

If you're in Edmonton, you can try where the Sturgeon river runs into it near Fort Sask, Hermatige, behind Telus field (or whatever they call it nowadays) or Whitemud creek.

Good luck.

RapStaff
05-24-2012, 08:52 PM
There is numerous ways to fish the NSR, bait fishing, casting , bobbers, flies..... Considering there are some 13 odd species of fish in the river.
You can pitch pretty much anything into the water and sooner or later you're going to get a fish. I'm kinda partial to bait fishing, but some of the guys on here do very well pitching jigs.
Nothing better than putting on:sleep-038: a bell and having a snooze on the river bank.

Crossfire
05-25-2012, 09:20 AM
I am also wondering where to fish in the river. I live in camrose and have always wanted to try fishing the river in Edmonton! Fishing is my passion and the river is a place I have always wanted to try! I have all day tomorrow to go give it a try! I dont have a specific target as I like catching anything that swims! I'm just kinda looking for a starting point and from what I know anything from casting to bait fishing with a lindy rig could work and if I could find a few areas to try I would love to give it a go tomorrow! Other than that I hope everyone open water season is going great and everyone is having a fun time with family and friends!

NSR Monger
05-25-2012, 11:29 AM
there are tons of spots to fish the river in edmonton, some of the more popular spots that are not secrets are.......hermitage outflow, dawson park and dawson bridge, goldbar, behind telus field, hawerlak park, the mouth of the whitemud creek (not recommended for weekends, it will be PACKED), behind fort edmonton, theres a good spot by legends gold course, a good spot by fort sask, under the yellowhead bridge are some of the most popular ones, fish can definitely be caught at any of those spots.

lindy rig probly wont work to well unless you find a very calm spot (try a slip sinker rig instead, very similar but more suited for the river), p-rigs are always a popular choice, jigs and spoons also work.

pike_king780
05-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Tons of spots to fish on the river, as for gear, the things you have will work, however I'd upgrade to a 30 lb or higher braid. You'll lose less lures and hook setting will be a cinch.